• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your favorite target bullet and brand?

So you think you'll beat "sub half minute"?

If that's a question for me.... I'm right at 0.40 - 0.45, with the (very) occasional 0.3ish. (and when I yank a shot, 0.5 - 0.6 :) ) I really have little interest in beating 0.50" , at this point. So the likely answer is... "No." :) I'm more interested in the 130's velocity, hopng to get half minute groups.

Last edited:
It’s a long throated 260 loaded long with roomy brass.

Seeing as I’m over a grain below where I found pressure this load should be quite trouble free.

Someday I’ll try R26.
Found great results with 26. My oal is 3.180

Currently Berger 105's out of my 6cheatmoor, the barrel loves them but my wallet isn't really. Unfortunately the barrel was chambered for 105's, so I'm stuck for now

168 SMK's out of my 308's

Currently Berger 105's out of my 6cheatmoor, the barrel loves them but my wallet isn't really. Unfortunately the barrel was chambered for 105's, so I'm stuck for now

168 SMK's out of my 308's
How are you liking the 6mm? Does it do good out to 1200?

What do you mean it was chambered for 105s?

He got a special throat just for that bullet. I'm doing the same right now for my 300 win mag with 225 eld m. It will be longer and made for that bullet to set out

I don't believe that Bergers or boutique bullets are going to get me more impacts, and therefore I'm not paying for them. I'll keep buying the Sierras in bulk and being very happy with my precision and the cost.

I think that's a legit point. All depends on what yer tryin to accomplish. SMK's are more than good enuf for steel hits at 1000 yds + And spending more on Bergers can kinda be a waste of money. A steel hit is a steel hit. And a miss is more likely to be the indian that the Berger vs. Sierra arrow.

If yer trying for tiny groups at any distance, Bergers may be the ticket.

At least, this is my experience with both bullets. YMMV.

What do you mean it was chambered for 105s?
The freebore on the rifle was cut for 105 hybrids and I think one other bullet, but since it's a 1-8 twist I cant really run the other bullet since it needs a faster twist rate.

How are you liking the 6mm? Does it do good out to 1200?
I've only taken them out to a little shy off 1100 due to that be my ranges limit, but work awesome as long as you do your part in getting them there.

I'm still lost. ...and what is that supposed to get you? Faster barrel burnout? I've heard of a tighter throat (where you have to turn your necks), but not a longer throat for a specific bullet.

You can always chase the lands till near the end of the neck. You can't chase what isn't there. I see zero benefit from creating a longer than spec throat just for a VLD. Set your bullet back a touch more for the correct free-bore and you'll have the same jump loosing nothing. Is someone selling match ammo out of SAMI spec?

In my experience every rifle has to be figured out in terms of tuning the load to the rifle. Everyone is different. Even when I switch (supposedly) barrels, the exact same barrel from the exact same manufacturer, on my comp rifle I still have to tweak it, or go back to a starting load to figure out what's optimal.

I'm my case the freebore is really short since the vld style bullet engage the lands further back on the bullet body and typically dont like to jump. I've heard of people do a longer throat for bullets that typically take up to much space when seated to spec

Reactions: garandman
Aw
The freebore on the rifle was cut for 105 hybrids and I think one other bullet, but since it's a 1-8 twist I cant really run the other bullet since it needs a faster twist rate.

I've only taken them out to a little shy off 1100 due to that be my ranges limit, but work awesome as long as you do your part in getting them there.
Awesome I love little 6mm thinking about gping back to one

As I understand it, cutting a longer free bore gives you a little bit more velosity. You can seat the bullet a little longer which enables a little bit more powder in the case here.

It also can allow the longer heavier bullets in the same case

Reactions: King_beardsly
I just need to keep an eye on barrel life with the creedmoor, but otherwise the 6mm life it's pretty awesome.

I'm still lost. ...and what is that supposed to get you? Faster barrel burnout? I've heard of a tighter throat (where you have to turn your necks), but not a longer throat for a specific bullet.

You can always chase the lands till near the end of the neck. You can't chase what isn't there. I see zero benefit from creating a longer than spec throat just for a VLD. Set your bullet back a touch more for the correct free-bore and you'll have the same jump loosing nothing. Is someone selling match ammo out of SAMI spec?

In my experience every rifle has to be figured out in terms of tuning the load to the rifle. Everyone is different. Even when I switch (supposedly) barrels, the exact same barrel from the exact same manufacturer, on my comp rifle I still have to tweak it, or go back to a starting load to figure out what's optimal.
you get added freebore that way you can set the bullets out farther that way you could put more powder for more velocity. For an example 300 Win Mag 200 grain bullet Sam spec 3.340 my 300 Win Mag was loaded at 3.545 extra velocity with the same amount of pressure

Reactions: garandman
What type of velocities are you getting with 284 and 180 eld m
I found a large node from 2840 to 2890 that all are great! Did the work up in Feb and yesterday, in 95 degree heat, saw some pressure signs but didn't Chrono those.

He got a special throat just for that bullet. I'm doing the same right now for my 300 win mag with 225 eld m. It will be longer and made for that bullet to set out
Are you staying with a 1:10 twist with that 225, or going tighter???

223 - 69smk & 73 ELD M
308 - 168 ELD-M and 175smk
6.5 - Hornady 140 hpbt & 140 ELD M

Have a new barrel on order.....was sure hoping to see a lot of positive mentions for the Lapua brand mentioned as i just purchased a bunch on sale at Grafs....fingers crossed they'll work out ok. It's for a 6.5x47 Lapua so i figured/hoped they would be ok?

Have a new barrel on order.....was sure hoping to see a lot of positive mentions for the Lapua brand mentioned as i just purchased a bunch on sale at Grafs....fingers crossed they'll work out ok. It's for a 6.5x47 Lapua so i figured/hoped they would be ok?

I've shot a few hundred of the 123 and 139 Scenars and they shot perfectly well. The only problem I had is they didn't shoot any better than my 123 or 140 AMAX load (that should tell you how long ago I tried them). They're fine bullets, maybe a tad more consistent than the Hornady bullets, but they also cost more. I could buy three boxes of Lapua Scenars, or I could buy four boxes of the Amax or close to five boxes of the BTHP. If they shot better, I would've just ponied up the cash, but they didn't so I went with the option that let me shoot more for the same price. If you picked them up on sale, you won't be disappointed at all.

Last edited:
I use the Nosler Custom Competition a lot. I load them for 6.5x47, 7.5x55, .260 and 30-06.

The Lapua bullets are great bullets and shoot fantastic...easy to tune and very consistent...you made a good choice.

Hornady 140 ELD-M

First shot 100 yards cold bore with no adjustment for wind at 9:00, next 4 compensating for the wind.

7889CAB5-B88B-4FE6-BED0-B8614D51DFD9.jpeg