• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Flag. Made in America, right?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Not so fast.

Some citizens own flags which they raise and lower proudly in their front yards. Even if individuals don’t consider themselves all that patriotic, it’s still pretty common to buy a flag on July 4th, the nation’s birthday and a popular US holiday.

What many well-meaning flag buyers don’t know is that there is a disturbing truth to the origin of a number of American flags—one that would make the most jingoist American fall over dead from shame and shock.

Believe it or not, there’s a chance that American flag you were flying wasn’t actually American in origin.

An estimated 7.5 million foreign-made American flags are sold each year. Over $3.8 million in foreign flag purchases were made in 2012 alone.

The origin of many of those imported flags was actually China. My condolences to the families of the ultraconservative patriarchs that didn’t make it through that last sentence.

Given how many items Americans use or wear that come to us directly from China, this probably isn’t much of a surprise to anyone. However, it seems a bizarre thing to import, if only from the perspective of national pride.

Before you pick up your pitchforks and head to Washington, there is some comforting news: These imported flags represent on average mere 5% of all flags used in the United States.

^^^This patriotic post made with a device containing (mostly, if not all) parts not made in America. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
    Not so fast.

Some citizens own flags which they raise and lower proudly in their front yards. Even if individuals don’t consider themselves all that patriotic, it’s still pretty common to buy a flag on July 4th, the nation’s birthday and a popular US holiday.

What many well-meaning flag buyers don’t know is that there is a disturbing truth to the origin of a number of American flags—one that would make the most jingoist American fall over dead from shame and shock.

Believe it or not, there’s a chance that American flag you were flying wasn’t actually American in origin.

An estimated 7.5 million foreign-made American flags are sold each year. Over $3.8 million in foreign flag purchases were made in 2012 alone.

The origin of many of those imported flags was actually China. My condolences to the families of the ultraconservative patriarchs that didn’t make it through that last sentence.

Given how many items Americans use or wear that come to us directly from China, this probably isn’t much of a surprise to anyone. However, it seems a bizarre thing to import, if only from the perspective of national pride.

Before you pick up your pitchforks and head to Washington, there is some comforting news: These imported flags represent on average mere 5% of all flags used in the United States.

Im lucky. i get all my flags at a local family owned business. made right here in town.

Regalia Manufacturing Company

-Paulus

Meh, most of those cheap flags are bought by people not knowing any better but trying to do the right thing. I give them credit for at least displaying a flag.

I on the other hand am an enthusiast so I buy Annin or one of the other quality flag makers that proudly proclaim their made in USA status and Im happy to pay more to help keep them doing it.

There is a great and patriotic way to get a high quality US flag directly from the US Government, the price is hard to beat, and if you would like - they will fly your flag over the US Capitol on the date of your choosing and provide it to you with a certificate. The Architect of the Capitol has managed this flag program since 1937, and it works great. There are several sizes and materials available, and they make excellent gifts. I like to give them to friends/relatives as housewarming gifts, or related to memorable dates in their lives (schedule the flag to be flown for someone on a specific day). Order a couple months early for holidays like Independence Day or 9/11 Anniversary.

Your US Senators and Representative will provide you access to this service.

For example, a 3'x5' Nylon flag flown over the Capitol is $13.05 or $9.00 for one that was not flown. The cotton ones for indoor use are very nice quality as well.

Here is the link to the program information, but you will place the order through your Congressperson's web page (can search from this within page).

Capitol Flag Program | Architect of the Capitol | United States Capitol

All the Chinese stuff that finds its way into the United States is imported / outsourced by Americans, no less.

There is a great and patriotic way to get a high quality US flag directly from the US Government, the price is hard to beat, and if you would like - they will fly your flag over the US Capitol on the date of your choosing and provide it to you with a certificate. The Architect of the Capitol has managed this flag program since 1937, and it works great. There are several sizes and materials available, and they make excellent gifts. I like to give them to friends/relatives as housewarming gifts, or related to memorable dates in their lives (schedule the flag to be flown for someone on a specific day). Order a couple months early for holidays like Independence Day or 9/11 Anniversary.

Your US Senators and Representative will provide you access to this service.

For example, a 3'x5' Nylon flag flown over the Capitol is $13.05 or $9.00 for one that was not flown. The cotton ones for indoor use are very nice quality as well.

Here is the link to the program information, but you will place the order through your Congressperson's web page (can search from this within page).

Capitol Flag Program | Architect of the Capitol | United States Capitol

I just posted this tongue in cheek, but glad I did. Thanks for the link.