• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Your Input on Lake City's M855 SS109 ammo

M@D-M@X

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    What is your experience with Lake City's 5.56 original US Military Lake City Arsenal Penetrator ammunition, 62 grain.

I plan to run it thru an FN FS2000 & SIG556.

Thx in advance,
    Max

Re: Your Input on Lake City's M855 SS109 ammo

Max, any reason you're shooting M855 over M193 since their is a significant price disparity?

What's your twist rate, intended TRGTs & ranges you'll be shooting it out to?
    You won't be popular if you bring this ammo to a course where their is steel.

Not knowing your twist rate, length, and distance - I'll share my experience.
    I used this round 2 days ago testing commercial loads on my LWRC 14.7" 5.56 (twist 1:7). Out of 5 loads, it had the worst grouping - up to 8 MOA during a 4-group test (bench, 100 yds, with F/R rests). My best groups were 1.0 to 2.0 MOA with 69 grain BVAC and Fiocchi Sierra BTHP's.
    Conclusion: the M855 SS109 does not work for my rifle - it likes heavier rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip
    Conclusion: the M855 SS109 does not work for my rifle - it likes heavier rounds. </div></div>
    I'd correct that to say your rifle likes better bullets.

IME, fairly limited, the accuracy suffers from the multi-piece construction. BEST ever is 3 MOA, usual is 3.5-4 MOA.

My son reports it seemed less accurate out of 20-inch M16 types in Boot (A4s with irons, IIRC) than M193 was out of a rather ordinary Colt HBAR he shot a lot the two years before going in. He calls his shots well, so I trust his assessment, too. The M193 LC we rarely shot, and the M193 reloads we burned through to the tune of probably 1,500 or more, were generally 2 MOA to 3 MOA with great consistency.

I have also seen documents from Big Army's PowerPoint Culture which appear to describe larger shot dispersion with M852 compared to M193, when fired from the new barrels.

Terminal performance, I cannot comment on. I also do not expect any M852 terminal performance results in coming months, as the current rumor is that the newer SOST rounds are already being issued in-country.

...except for medium steel penetration. If you REALLY need a MouseGun to disable an engine block or running gear (not just take out a radiator or fuel system), then there's nothing like M852. Much better than M193, especially past 100 yards.

You just gotta be able to hit the target where you want, where it counts.

I am also looking at getting some m855 , mine AR is a 1-9 twist and 14" barrel.
    any info would be good
    thanks

Here you go fellas:

Best price I've seen on M855 for you fellas hell bent on shooting it

I typically don't share ammo resources...but have at it
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Max, any reason you're shooting M855 over M193 since their is a significant price disparity?

What's your twist rate, intended TRGTs & ranges you'll be shooting it out to?
    You won't be popular if you bring this ammo to a course where their is steel. </div></div>

Well.... optimal would be as far as possible but then price is always a consideration also. Both the FS2K barreled at a 17.75" and the SIG556 barreled at 16" have a 1 in 7" rate. They both are equiped with EOTechs and I have a 3X magnifier which I swap so with that said, I would have to say more or less in the 100 to 200 yard range.

I figured that since both of these rifle's have an aggressive rate the M855 at 62gr would perform better than the lighter M193's 55gr weight.

Thx. for the link... BTW. Cheaper than Dirt has 1K bulk for under $350 for the next couplke of days
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snip
    Conclusion: the M855 SS109 does not work for my rifle - it likes heavier rounds. </div></div>
    I'd correct that to say your rifle likes better bullets.

IME, fairly limited, the accuracy suffers from the multi-piece construction. BEST ever is 3 MOA, usual is 3.5-4 MOA.

My son reports it seemed less accurate out of 20-inch M16 types in Boot (A4s with irons, IIRC) than M193 was out of a rather ordinary Colt HBAR he shot a lot the two years before going in. He calls his shots well, so I trust his assessment, too. The M193 LC we rarely shot, and the M193 reloads we burned through to the tune of probably 1,500 or more, were generally 2 MOA to 3 MOA with great consistency.

I have also seen documents from Big Army's PowerPoint Culture which appear to describe larger shot dispersion with M852 compared to M193, when fired from the new barrels.

Terminal performance, I cannot comment on. I also do not expect any M852 terminal performance results in coming months, as the current rumor is that the newer SOST rounds are already being issued in-country.

...except for medium steel penetration. If you REALLY need a MouseGun to disable an engine block or running gear (not just take out a radiator or fuel system), then there's nothing like M852. Much better than M193, especially past 100 yards.

You just gotta be able to hit the target where you want, where it counts. </div></div>

I guess that's why the M855 is widely available at a cheap price..

Gentlemen, I appreciate all your imputs so far.
    Max

Might also try Sportsman's warehouse

They had 300 round boxes of the Federal Assembled ammo for $109.00

I have not found it cheaper than that yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chalwie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not knowing your twist rate, length, and distance - I'll share my experience.
    I used this round 2 days ago testing commercial loads on my LWRC 14.7" 5.56 (twist 1:7). Out of 5 loads, it had the worst grouping - up to 8 MOA during a 4-group test (bench, 100 yds, with F/R rests). My best groups were 1.0 to 2.0 MOA with 69 grain BVAC and Fiocchi Sierra BTHP's.

I also have a Bushmaster Varminter which has a 24" @ 1-9" rate but I only run Black Hills with Hornady's V-Max 52gr and it stays under 1/2 MOA when pampered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might also try Sportsman's warehouse

I have not found it cheaper than that yet. </div></div>

can reload it for half that, just sayin.

I shoot a LOT of this stuff, through an Army issued M16 Colt upper. The absolute best you will get is 1.5 MOA. The A4 upper I have now shoots right around 2MOA, which is good enough for Government work. Others run around 3-4 MOA depending on how many times a GI has run a steel rod against the crown. Bushmaster 1-7 twist Government profile barrels shoot M855 around 1.5 - 2.0 MOA out of the box. I shoot M855 with iron sights and optics out to 500 yards, so I know what its capable of.

The same bushmaster barrel that gets 1.5 MOA with M855 will shoot sub MOA with 55gr VMAX reloads. Personally I wouldnt buy M855 unless you were required to shoot this round. You can buy a lot more accurate ammo for less. Government tolerance for M855 is 4 MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might also try Sportsman's warehouse

I have not found it cheaper than that yet. </div></div>

can reload it for half that, just sayin. </div></div>

True.....
    But I don't have the time and while the FS2000 will literally drop the brass in a bag by your feet, the SIG556 will launch them across enemy lines.

Gracias anyways

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go fellas:

Best price I've seen on M855 for you fellas hell bent on shooting it

I typically don't share ammo resources...but have at it
    grin.gif
    </div></div>
    CTD has it for .35 cents a round!!! 349.95 a 1000 until the 23 I think

I also have a Bushmaster Varminter which has a 24" @ 1-9" rate but I only run Black Hills with Hornady's V-Max 52gr and it stays under 1/2 MOA when pampered.

Try running some 75 gr. bullets. My varminter loves Bitterroot Valley 75 grain match. I called Bushmaster and they told me that they test that barrel with hornady 75 gr tap

It is generally less accurate than M193 in my 1/7 rifles. Hard on steel and easy to set grass fires with when shooting steel. I have a lot of it in both IMI and Fed, and wish it was M193 instead.

Consider that the 1-7 twist is magnifying any imbalance in the SS-109 over barrel with a 1-9 twist. A long match bullet would shoot better, but not necessarily SS-109 ball.

They never shot well in my rifles. I used up the remainder practicing shooting off hand.

Good luck

Jerry

Thx. for the feedback guys..

I bough 2 cases for plinkin from CTD.

Max

Saw this at the last gunshow for 229/1k

I've tested the M855 in 3 rifles, a SCAR a Colt 6920 and Sig 556. The groups at 100 yards were 3-5" depending on the rifle. The same 3 rifles shoot 1-2" groups with 52 grain SMK's behind 26.2 grains of 748. To say I was not impressed would be a gross understatemant.

Good for plinking and malfunction drills. Unfortunately like the poster above said, it tears up some steel and according to the forest service here, starts fires. Most places locally won't let u shoot it except one, and then only certain times of the year and it might not open up for it next year. It kinda just sits there in my ammo bank. I think it's just for zombies now
    smile.gif

Ammoman.com has 2009 production LC, 1000 rnds for $449 and that is the delivered price. I bought some a couple years ago, still have about 975 rnds left. Saving the rest for a SHTF situation.
    myerfire