• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your Local Gun Store -

What makes it special, different, or stand out? Is there a product or something that keeps you coming back?
Most of them around here are small high end Glock and AR dealers. If you want a $1500-$3000 version of either there you go.

the pretty girl at the counter helps the one store still hard to want to shell out money to them but her smile helps
1667424523337.png

lol

Most I go to are just to waste time or if I'm bored or want to play with something before I purchase it online for cheaper.

Most don't have anything close to what I'm looking for, especially reloading items. They have the weirdest things in stock...270WSM brass. 40gr 224 cal bullets, shell plates for 303 brit but not for a 308 case head.

Prices are always way higher than the internet. No deals whatsoever. I'm not gonna pay 250 more for a optic than I would pay online.

Doc

The ones around here price everything at MSRP.
If I buy from a retailer, it is usually academy, or, when they still sold guns, wal-mart.

My LGS has hundreds of guns that you can pick up and check out. They let me behind the counter and look at anything I want without someone standing over me trying to make a sale. Everyone that works there is very knowledgeable.

Often their prices are better than anywhere else and even cheaper than buying online. This goes for guns as well as accessories. Never increased prices during the ammo shortages either.

It’s in the middle of nowhere, but I regularly meet folks who drove three or four hours just to come by.

Nothing...dbags behind the counters... Prices 20% above delivered usually....

Haven't been in one locally in 4 years. Two have gone out of business
Everyone wants a gun store but they think they are going to get rich off a small store selling all higher end or Chinese gun show junk all at premium pricing. Low ammo variety they paid too much for, and consignments they don’t tell the people are priced stupid high.

One range near me won’t keep anything in store really and it’s only a few shotguns and bolt actions on the wall, owners a fudd and doesn’t want to stock AR’s and most anything you want you have to order it.

I think the range is the only reason they stay open.

Also most stores don’t follow the guidelines for paperwork and background checks, shit bites them in the ass.

My LGS has hundreds of guns that you can pick up and check out. They let me behind the counter and look at anything I want without someone standing over me trying to make a sale. Everyone that works there is very knowledgeable.

Often their prices are better than anywhere else and even cheaper than buying online. This goes for guns as well as accessories. Never increased prices during the ammo shortages either.

It’s in the middle of nowhere, but I regularly meet folks who drove three or four hours just to come by.
Jerry’s? If so, yeah, that is pretty much off the beaten path. He used to keep a ton of higher end optics in stock. I haven’t been down there in years.

Last edited:
I moved recently but I like my previous LGS in Canton, GA. They do reduced price transfers and they provide a lot of coaching and assistance for suppressor purchases. They gave me (retired Army) a military discount on reloading supplies and had a decent selection of powders. I liked to cruise the use gun shelf.

Reactions: Jsp556
I moved recently but I like my previous LGS in Canton, GA. They do reduced price transfers and they provide a lot of coaching and assistance for suppressor purchases. They gave me (retired Army) a military discount on reloading supplies and had a decent selection of powders. I liked to cruise the use gun shelf.
I moved recently as well, but back in Virginia, Greentop was the place to go. They have more guns than God.

In the Ozarks there are still old pawn shops that buy, sell & trade used guns, as well as sell/order new guns. One shop will sell your stuff on consignment & make $50 markup on it (easy money for them) but the other one said, "I will only do that if I can make a lot of money from it..." Well, guess who doesn't get any business?

Both will stock & sell factory ammo... if they can get it. Typical markup. No grudges there.

Guys who wont buy/sell/trade used guns/stuff dont get any business around here. And pawn shops around here all deal with used stuff, and are pretty careful about stolen items. One shop only sells brand new guns, but he's "not proud" of his stuff so his prices are fair. But he wont trade or deal with used stuff.

Lately, local Gun show guys are trying to sell covid/pre-covid ammo for inflated prices and their tables are full. Online prices are better, but when shipping is factored in, you have to crunch numbers & decide if you want it bad enough. If its a rare or hard to find thing... buy it, cuz it won't be there long.

Nobody around here has reloading components for sale, unless its at ass-rape covid prices.

My LGS is Joe Bob outfitters.
'nuff said.
They have tons of ammo that doesn't show on their website, along with quite a few guns not on the website.
Store is nice and clean (fairly new) and well stocked.
But.....
If you want a bolt gun that "Isn't" a 6.5 crudsnore....look elsewhere.

Edit:
@Mudburner in Huntsville there used to be a gunstore on the southwest side of town....do not recall the name, it was just off the main hwy on a little spur.
Guy was real nice, was decently stocked, and was fair.
I do not know if it still exists.

My LGS is all over the place on pricing and there are deals to be had.

They run a regular special of 6/$50 pmags and some of the firearms are way cheaper than online. I was just fondling a new OD green scorpion that was $825.

They'll also sell used glocks with burn out night sights for $579. No idea where their numbers come from.

There is a LGS that is part of a large Sporting Clays facility in central GA. They are a huge dealer for Beretta (and other Italian shotguns plus Tikka rifles can be ordered) plus they sell large quantities of shotgun shells for clay shooters. They know their market and serve it very well. They are in a niche but they excel in that narrow niche and stay in their lane.

The indoor 25 yard range is good. They do pretty good on prices...all things considered. Have a large inventory of guns, and it's only 3 1/2 miles away. They (owner and and manager) will work with me on ordering guns they don't have, and when they can't get something for the price I'm after they happily accept the $35 FFL fee too for transfers.

Reactions: Kalthoff
Best small local gun shop around is located in Pittsburg, KS. Great inventory and even better people to deal with. If you are anywhere near Pittsburg, KS stop in and visit John’s Sport Center.

My local guy makes a comfortable living... But I've seen the invoices and actually helped him price ammo when it comes in... He makes $3-$4 a box on ammo if he's lucky, usually less.

I can go elsewhere and save a few bucks. But he's 3 minutes from my front door... And if I pitch in and help out with piddly stuff so he can do sales/NICS checks I usually get a discount and/or get my range fees waived.

Mike

Nothing...dbags behind the counters... Prices 20% above delivered usually....

Haven't been in one locally in 4 years. Two have gone out of business

Same in my area. I'm all for supporting local business but I could order an 8 pound jug of powder, pay hazmat and still save $60-80. Don't know about current prices but I just walk around to kill time.

I normally deal with a guy that does it as a side business. If he can't beat online prices for a gun, he has me buy it and ship to him. Costs $20 for the transfer. He's showed me his prices on components and has offered to order shit at his cost.

There is a LGS that is part of a large Sporting Clays facility in central GA. They are a huge dealer for Beretta (and other Italian shotguns plus Tikka rifles can be ordered) plus they sell large quantities of shotgun shells for clay shooters. They know their market and serve it very well. They are in a niche but they excel in that narrow niche and stay in their lane.
In Gay or Forsyth?

I moved recently as well, but back in Virginia, Greentop was the place to go. They have more guns than God.
Greentop is okay, the owner is an asshole. I liked Woodbrook in C'ville better.

The best gun shop I have seen in a long time is Willey Brothers in Reno. They have an ever changing inventory and always have nice stuff.

Reactions: Average guy
I don't have shit for a good local gun store here in the Tampa area.

I still do business with First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD.
It's right on Main Street and they've been in that building since before I was made aware of them in 1987.

A family owned business, and they treat you like family. Never encountered an idiot or nonsense shit talker behind the counter.

Firststopguns.com

'nuff said.
They have tons of ammo that doesn't show on their website, along with quite a few guns not on the website.
But.....

Edit:
@Mudburner in Huntsville there used to be a gunstore on the southwest side of town....do not recall the name, it was just off the main hwy on a little spur.
I live in "the Ozarks", not Ozark, Alabama. Southwest Missouri.

It's right on Main Street and they've been in that building since before I was made aware of them in 1987.

A family owned business, and they treat you like family. Never encountered an idiot or nonsense shit talker behind the counter
40$ for a transfer is dumb

So is “can’t take rifles from individuals” on a transfer.

Plus you know there’s heaps of Rez rats wanting to jack ur shit.

Reactions: 308pirate
Best small local gun shop around is located in Pittsburg, KS. Great inventory and even better people to deal with. If you are anywhere near Pittsburg, KS stop in and visit John’s Sport Center.
Hunt's Hardware (Ace) & Guns (Miller, Missouri) is a good place to go. They have a couple THOUSAND used & new guns on display, and 2x in the back. They will make a deal, but he bought a lot of stuff during the 2008-2012 inflated era, so his cost was high & he has to try to make up for it now.

Good place, & he is willing to make deals on trade-ins for new stuff. I've made several deals with them. He always sets up at the Springfield, Mo gun show.

North, slightly west of central, Arkansas.....Huntsville Ar.
No where near Al.
Dead center of the Ozarks.....well not really, but it's definitely in the real Ozarks.
Roger. My apologies. Carry on!

Now, for other news...
If you like AK stuff... Kalashni-Con shoot will be happening in January at Big Piney Sportsman's Club in Houston, Missouri.

I usually wander the gun section at my local scheels and other large gun shop/ indoor range. I don't buy guns at either really, but scheels has a good selection of factory ammo and reloading stuff and as far as powder and primers goes, they're priced similar to what you pay online before shipping and hazmat.

The gunstore across the street has the indoor rifle and archery range that i use. I usually see what suppressors they have in, and rifles they bought on consignment. The have an old kimber bolt gun in 300WM, custom barrel, in a folding manners t4a. Sometimes they have cool shit. Sometimes not.

I'm a big fan of selection and competitive prices to online. For gear tho I come here as I can either grab it used or someone is offering a deal.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
My local guy makes a comfortable living... But I've seen the invoices and actually helped him price ammo when it comes in... He makes $3-$4 a box on ammo if he's lucky, usually less.

I can go elsewhere and save a few bucks. But he's 3 minutes from my front door... And if I pitch in and help out with piddly stuff so he can do sales/NICS checks I usually get a discount and/or get my range fees waived.

Mike
Where in Ok is this one, Mike. We have a store called Ares here in Lawton. Nice selection of suppressor but I havent had call to buy from them yet.

Greentop is okay, the owner is an asshole. I liked Woodbrook in C'ville better.

The best gun shop I have seen in a long time is Willey Brothers in Reno. They have an ever changing inventory and always have nice stuff.
Woodbrook closed a couple years ago.

Dont know the owner of GT but damn they have a lot of stuff.

Clark Brothers in Warrenton is a great place to shop, still owned by one of the Clark's.

Reactions: timesublime
I usually wander the gun section at my local scheels and other large gun shop/ indoor range. I don't buy guns at either really, but scheels has a good selection of factory ammo and reloading stuff and as far as powder and primers goes, they're priced similar to what you pay online before shipping and hazmat.

The gunstore across the street has the indoor rifle and archery range that i use. I usually see what suppressors they have in, and rifles they bought on consignment. The have an old kimber bolt gun in 300WM, custom barrel, in a folding manners t4a. Sometimes they have cool shit. Sometimes not.

I'm a big fan of selection and competitive prices to online. For gear tho I come here as I can either grab it used or someone is offering a deal.
Big selection of savage rifles too I bet 🤣

My LGS used to be a decent friend. As internet sales have became a thing he has been doing about 100 transfers a week for $40 bucks each and regular sales.

Last year I moved my Mauser collection and some hard to find WWII military semi autos on Gunbroker and pissed him off. He wanted to buy them for his store at shitty prices. Locally they would have drawn 30% of east coast prices. He got pissed and I don't stop by very often, anymore.

We are cordial but anything I'm interested in is "NOT FOR SALE" when I ask. No worries. He has done this to quite a few former regulars and they have just quietly drifted away.

I have my ffl items shipped to a guy 10 miles closer to my house who does $25 buck transfers and is happy for the business.

Internet sales are making it tough to keep a huge inventory and hope for the best. Guys can find what they want and be done with it.

My local owned stores are basic fudd central. High prices and all. I think something unique is what folks are looking for. I will second @Mike Casselton about First Stop in Rapid City SD. They have a large inventory, knowledgeable people, and tons of quality stuff.

Having been in your shop I’d say you are doing well Christian. Lots of precision and modern oriented products, and not junk, good quality products.

Do everything mediocre or focus on a few markets and do great.

Woodbrook closed a couple years ago.

Dont know the owner of GT but damn they have a lot of stuff.

Clark Brothers in Warrenton is a great place to shop, still owned by one of the Clark's.
Clark Brothers is always way over priced. They did have a lot of nice stuff when I lived out there.

Reactions: Maggot
Clark Brothers is always way over priced. They did have a lot of nice stuff when I lived out there.
Yeah, theyre a small shop and a bit pricey but great service, I get treated like family. Nice range out back.

There is only 1 'gun store' in this city, and it is Cabela's. Or, if we want to drive for 3.5 hours, we can go to Wolverine Supplies.

Consider yourselves lucky. Ya'll actually have 'RIGHTS'.

• Sad

A family owned business, and they treat you like family. Never encountered an idiot or nonsense shit talker behind the counter.

Firststopguns.com
i’ve been in that store a couple years back while visiting friends. super nice people working when i went in to browse around killing time. they even put me in contact with some local ranchers that needed some varmint control help with prairie dogs. it had lots of fun those two days. they had a stuffed animal they called a a south dakota phuck, a local taxidermist had put the head and feet off of a duck on a pheasant body. too funny.

Attachments

• 1D96DCA4-08DF-4A73-8A05-02813DDD205E.jpeg
    1D96DCA4-08DF-4A73-8A05-02813DDD205E.jpeg
    777.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Average guy
'nuff said.
But.....

Edit:
I love that place… lucky you

It's rare for me to go to a local store. The only reason is to purchase a gun or transfers. I have been shooting since 7th grade. Now 50 I have a fair amount of experience with firearms. For a living a was a Detective and a firearms examiner. I'm an armorer for several companies. Most stores treat customers like idiots. I love it when I go to a store and act like someone who has little knowledge. I have been told so many lies from the staff. I know they have to make money but, be honest at least. I have come across several guns that were worked on at local shops that were downright dangerous or poor-quality work. Everything from excessive headspace, loose barrel nuts, bent gas tubes, and let's not forget half ass repairs. I guess NY isn't the only place with stores like this.

My local gun store is Primary Arms. Order on line. Jump in the pickup and the order is ready shortly after I get there. Good prices. I think the transfer fee for s $20. They make it easy to spend money.

Man, I am feeling very fortunate as we have many great LGS store in the Phoenix area. Huge supply great service and the price is in line with online. I will always buy local when I can and try to keep these guys going. Still like the Fred one to buy a case of ammo for cash

Feel bad for some of you guys. Gun stores here are like family in the Yoop. My go to for purchases unless I have to branch out or they can’t get items

They treat you better than just a customer here and their success is a excellent showing of that

Feel bad for some of you guys. Gun stores here are like family in the Yoop. My go to for purchases unless I have to branch out or they can’t get items

They treat you better than just a customer here and their success is a excellent showing of that
Yoop?

@Maggot

I’m a Virginia guy also and we really are lucky to have greentop. I actually bought my first handgun there back when they had the old store on rt.1 Prices at or sometimes beating the internet stores.