• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Your longest kill...

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
I see the guys at GunWerks and on Long Range Pursuit taking down big game animals with one shot at 1k+ yards.

But for the rest of us who arent using multiple spotting scopes, wind meters, and plasma rifles,
what is your longest kill while hunting?

This can be anything from a P-Dog to a Elk, and even an Elephant if you fancy.

I went on my first hunting trip this past year (23 years old) and didn't have the .308 I have built now, and I seen several nice bucks, but the 30-30 loaner I was given just wouldn't do the trick..

Now that I have a bigger caliber, give me some ideas of what you have brought down!

Re: Your longest kill...

The farthest I have shot a whitetail was about 300 yards with a 243 win. I believe the responses are going to vary based on where the individual lives. I spent most of my life in Missouri, and many of the best places to hunt don't afford that long of shots.

Pronghorn at about 400 yds. FN Mauser 30-06. On average I normally take dear and elk with a 30-30 at about 100 at the most. 200 if I'm feeling right about it. I could be wrong but I think ballistically the 30-30 ends at 300

I shot one whitetail at 569, then two hours later another at 565, both came out from the same spot. Shots were taken with a 6.5-284 with 140 Berger VLDs back in 2004, back before they were recommending them for hunting. Later that week shot a little buck at 327 yards.

Longest p'dog kill has been right around 800 yards with the same rifle.

I get to hunt deer in a large field. My long shot for years was 457 yards. Couple of years ago in the same field, I got one at 629 yards. I have seen longer shoots on tv, but I'm not sure how much more I would have wanted on my longest one. I was shooting a 25-06 on the 457 and a 308 on the 629.

Hey Scott Long time no see!

Still got that AR, still shooting it, damn nice one!
smile.gif

what i always wonder in these comparisons ... in my area hunting is not about 'killing somehow' but making sure that you 'hit life', meaning that the animal (not just a target) ideally drops right on the spot.

for us this means that you need to be able to hit reliably within +- 1 inch - which basically sets the limit at about 300 yards for moderate hunters.

another point is the bullet having enough energy at that distance. while you can punch paper at a certain distance, you ought to keep in mind that you not only want to hit - you want to deal enough damage without causing unnecessary pain. at least when it comes to hunting in (our) traditional sense based on sportsmanship (damn that word losses alot in translation)

and more on the topic: chamois at 220 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what i always wonder in these comparisons ... in my area hunting is not about 'killing somehow' but making sure that you 'hit life', meaning that the animal (not just a target) ideally drops right on the spot.

for us this means that you need to be able to hit reliably within +- 1 inch - which basically sets the limit at about 300 yards for moderate hunters.

another point is the bullet having enough energy at that distance. while you can punch paper at a certain distance, you ought to keep in mind that you not only want to hit - you want to deal enough damage without causing unnecessary pain. at least when it comes to hunting in (our) traditional sense based on sportsmanship (damn that word losses alot in translation)

and more on the topic: chamois at 220 yards </div></div>

The three shots I described above all fell right in their tracks. The energy of the 6.5-284 with 140s exceeds the muzzle energy of a .30-30. If a .30-30 is sufficient point blank, then the 6.5-284 is sufficient at 600 yards in the hands of a skilled shooter.

i shot at a bull gnat last november, the round hasn't came down yet, will keep you posted

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shot at a bull gnat last november, the round hasn't came down yet, will keep you posted </div></div>

But...did you hit it?
whistle.gif

My favorite longer range kills on deer was 385yrs on this whitetail. Not a great buck, but one heck of a hunt. One shot with a 142SMK out of the Sako 260 put him out. Loved it, on the scope for 30 minutes or more.
09Whitetail.jpg

383YardShot.jpg

5x5 bull elk at 475 + yrds. Dropped like a sack of tators!
168gr Berger, 300WM.
IMG_2214.jpg

My favorite with photo is this .243, 115gr, 3010fps.
IMG_2131.jpg

I've knocked out a couple P dogs at 600 plus in the KS wind, but no pics.

I sent the round this morning. I'll let you know tomorrow if it hits the mark.
grin.gif

My longest/best kills were from several years ago. A nice 3X3 mule deer at just over 900yds. And an antelope doe at 850 yds. Both were shot with my 300wsm and 190 or 200 gr SMK's. I actually have the antelope shot on video, but not digital, so I cant share it
frown.gif

I also shot a spike bull elk at 560yds:
elkunt09014.jpg

I also shot a magpie at 900 once, 2 shots, 1 hit.

900ydmagpie2.jpg

Little Mulie...Bambi 650 yards with Barrett model 99 and 750 grain AMAX, got him in the throat, just about decapitated him!

shotbambiwiththe50.jpg

barrettfirstkillII.jpg

barretfirstkill-1.jpg

Shot this bull with a model 770 30/06 @ 300 yards 150 grain hornady interlock.

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

Cant wait for fall!!!

HOG getting the .30-06 ready!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QypOjMNJTs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0QypOjMNJTs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Not far by anyone but I shot a coyote in the chest 175 yds away with my Colt AR. I was using Horn Tap 75 BTHP. It is a start.

White tail buck 535 yds with a Remington Sendero 300 RUM, and several over 300 yds. I hunt on highline wire cut outs and natural gas line cutouts. The one at 535 was the first time I ever seen the bullet hit the deer, very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">White tail buck 535 yds with a Remington Sendero 300 RUM, and several over 300 yds. I hunt on highline wire cut outs and natural gas line cutouts. The one at 535 was the first time I ever seen the bullet hit the deer, very cool. </div></div>

i love seeing those impacts through the scope!

is something wrong with us for that???

Well, we can't use high powered rifles for deer here in IN, all my deer shots have been inside 100yards with a 12ga slug.

The only "long range" kill I'd bother listing would probably be a squirrel I shot that was about 15 yards up in a tree that was about 75 yards away from me with a .22lr. Leaning up against a tree with just a little bit of wind.

I figure that's about as much performance out of a factory .22 hunting rifle with a 4x fixed scope as I could ask for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerhappy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">White tail buck 535 yds with a Remington Sendero 300 RUM, and several over 300 yds. I hunt on highline wire cut outs and natural gas line cutouts. The one at 535 was the first time I ever seen the bullet hit the deer, very cool. </div></div>

is something wrong with us for that??? </div></div>

Not at all! One reason I love .204s on p'dogs!

powerline.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">465 yards on a 6+ year old Whitetail buck. Remington Sendero reamed to 7mmSTW.</span>
Shitbuck2010.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________

<span style="font-weight: bold">Have to show my best buck though... Saw him at over 500 then he disappeared. </span>
1203092155AaS.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Not long after seeing him I called him in while rattling and shot him at about 80yds with the STW</span>

Antelope doe at 1330 yds. 338 Allen Xpress (lapua imp). Took two shots. Missed my wind on the first one. Killed alot of stuff at 400-600 yds. Might have got lucky on that 1330 yd shot
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Scott Long time no see!

Still got that AR, still shooting it, damn nice one!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Hope all is well in the NW, its miserably hot down here in Phoenix. Glad to see you still got that AR, might be scheduling a flyfishing trip up in Wash/Ore in the fall, if so ill call ya.

Not that far away but the one I am most proud of was a bumblebee at 15 yards with a Henry .22 lever action.
On big game 85 yards on a whitetail, no big open spaces where I hunt and I like to stalk in closer than 50 usually.

562 yards 308, 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip

Buck-2010.jpg

With this:

Savage 10FP .308 tomato stake
B&C Duramaxx Stock
Ken Farrel 20MOA Base & TPS TSR rings
Nikon Monarch 4x16x42 Mildot
Harris Swivel bipod

Savage-1.jpg

Antelope at 501 yards with a .270win shooting Hornady 150gr SST. Near Kaycee Wyoming.

Right at 800 yards. Just over a month ago.
50# boar hog. AND I got it on video. DRT
Until a few months ago my longest shot was around 425 with a 22-250. (beer bottle). Other then that longest kill was around 200 yards with a 270. (deer)
I just missed a racoon this weekend. It was standing at the exact same spot as the pig.
SPS tach 308 w/B&C A5 stock and bushy 3-12 mil/mil.

Unlucky coyote at 672 for a cold bore shot. Bit farther on ground squirrels but hard to count those because there were not first round hits.

910m

= 1011 yards,
Tahr in the Alps of New Zealand.

7mm SAUM, 160gr Accubond, AICS and M700 Sendero, Leupold Mk4.

I shot a white tale at about 440 yards about ten years ago with a .270win. I'm a little more mature now, and I never take shots beyond 400y WITH MY .270 now on whitetail I try to keep everything under 300, shot placement is just to important for an ethical kill.

I also started with a 30-30, and I still use it some. It is a great rifle for less than 150 yards. When I go into the woods where my shots are going to be close I take my 30-30. My longest shot with the 30-30 was about 200 yards. If I am in the field, its my .270.

With your caliber I would try to keep my shots under 400, but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... WITH MY .270 now on whitetail I try to keep everything under 300, <span style="font-style: italic">shot placement is just to important for an ethical kill</span>.</div></div>

*thumb up*

i'd appreciate more people acting like that.

I've shot long range for several years with rifles I've built for myself. Last year I shot a real nice mule deer buck at 1180 yards with my 300 RUM. 200gr Accubonds 3250fps. My rifle is a Nesika single shot action, jewell trigger, McMillan HTG stock with adjustable comb, Rock 30" bbl and Nightforce scope. The year before I shot my elk at 850 yards w/ the same rifle and the year before that one I shot an elk at 600 with a 300WSM. That one was the elk that made me get serious about a good long-range rig. 600 yards was pushing it for the WSM rifle and I spotted a trophy 6X6 at 834 yards. It stood there for a good 5 minutes and I couldn't shoot. Later on a smaller bull stepped into the open at 600 yards even and I dropped him with a shot through the shoulders.

I built a rifle for my brother-in-law last summer on a Beretta Mato action in 300 RUM and he shot an elk last fall at 856 yards, same load as used in my rifle, only 100 fps slower due to the 26 1/2" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msalm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mule deer buck at 1180 yards with my 300 RUM. 200gr Accubonds 3250fps.</div></div>

may i ask how much spread you have at that distance?

edit: to be more precise - how well do you know your cold-bore shots at that distance?

Killed a p-dog in SE Colorado this past April at 934 yds. Hit him with the 3rd shot. The first two rounds impacted right next to him. He'd just run a few feet, look around and start feeding again.

Rem 700 LTR, 308, 175gr SMK.

Craig P. in MO

516 yards, Black Hills SD, whitetail doe, pretty much in the dark. .270 wsm with 150 gr. Win powerpoint. Never took a step.

Prarie dogs, 500 ish. Big game, antelope at 577, 300 WSM, I didn't see it fall for the recoil, but the guys with me said picture perfect- tail end went down followed by the chin slamming the dirt, DRT. Personally, I still prefer to not shoot beyond 300 on big game, but........

P-dog @ 324 yds.

Marlin model 80/ JC Higgins BA .22lr
Rem Viper 36g solid TC ammo
Bushnell 3-9x32

It's an old rifle and a lame setup, but it did the trick. I have shot different game at longer ranges, but this was one I was proud of.

538yds on a coyote. Was using a Remington VS .308 168gr A-Max. Only reason I took the shot was because he wouldn't cross the field regardles of what sound I threw at him, he just sat there on his haunches staring at fawns completely ignoring me.

Every other kill I have is under 300yds and the vast majority being inside 150.

Chupa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: richieraby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

is something wrong with us for that??? </div></div>I have to say...nope

I was really proud of my recent rimfire kill.

317 yds, Aguila gold eagle match 38gr, Ruger 77/22, bn elite 10-40, silencerco sparrow.

A little kentucky windage was involved, but the little 22lr that could sailed all the way out and dropped that fat little magpie.