• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your PVA prefit experience

@bohem
Final load work looks like .010off shines.
Target backer was wet and would ruin paper target, luckily someone left a poly target that wasn't shot up too bad. Not my shot at 12 o'clock, or the 2 down low.
20240424_112723.jpg

I'm sending over a PM now so we can take a look at what's up with the Rock blank. While it doesn't sound like a machining question from your description we'll still take a look and see what's up. I have it worked out with Rock that we replace stuff if there's a problem, my work, their work, whatever. If it's the blank that has a problem we settle up behind the scenes so the customer gets the blank quality and the installation work that they expected.
Is that any way to do business?

You bet it is.

@bohem

When I spoke with Ben, he said that as long as you have the drawings, you guys could do the custom contour.
However I'm not 100 percent clear on what constitutes a drawing that is good enough to go off of.

Here is an example of a barrel profile that may work for some of us that are wanting something lighter, but without the worry of having 5/8 threads and enough shoulder. Would this be possible and does this constitute an acceptable drawing?

Taperless-Contour-750-1.jpeg

Reactions: wind gypsy
@bohem

When I spoke with Ben, he said that as long as you have the drawings, you guys could do the custom contour.
However I'm not 100 percent clear on what constitutes a drawing that is good enough to go off of.

Here is an example of a barrel profile that may work for some of us that are wanting something lighter, but without the worry of having 5/8 threads and enough shoulder. Would this be possible and does this constitute an acceptable drawing?

View attachment 8404649
Yeah, that's something I can work to. The question becomes what do we call it?

Yeah, that's something I can work to. The question becomes what do we call it?
It's the Taperless 750 from Preferred Barrel Blanks. My weight goal for an 18" 6 CM barrel is 40 oz.
One particular example on Rokslide using this countour from PBB is the following:

.750 taperless, 24in, 6.5mm bore. straight flutes and chambered
43.25oz

It's the Taperless 750 from Preferred Barrel Blanks. My weight goal for an 18" 6 CM barrel is 40 oz.
One particular example on Rokslide using this countour from PBB is the following:

.750 taperless, 24in, 6.5mm bore. straight flutes and chambered
43.25oz
That's pretty easy to call it. Sounds like we should just make a couple of taperless options in different size muzzles for the hunting community.

That's pretty easy to call it. Sounds like we should just make a couple of taperless options in different size muzzles for the hunting community.
In my mind it could be a solution to avoid confusion on muzzle threads & shoulder size, while offering a lighter contour.

It wouldn’t be an ultralight pencil barrel, but certainly more in line of what mountain hunters are after, especially with the trend towards short and suppressed. While we could go for a more mass produced, botton rifled prefit such as those from PBB, I think there’s a good group of us that would rather use a premium barrel maker, such as PVA.

Last edited:
Reactions: bohem
That's probably a 0.680 and 0.750 taperless then.
I think this is a great idea. You would know better than us but I’d assume anyone getting a threaded barrel made for hunting now a days is looking for one of those two thread patterns at the lightest they can get.

Personally I don’t need super light but I could definitely see myself ordering either one of those contours in the future over say a 3B and calling you guys to make sure threads will work with what I’m looking for.

I think this is a great idea. You would know better than us but I’d assume anyone getting a threaded barrel made for hunting now a days is looking for one of those two thread patterns at the lightest they can get.

Personally I don’t need super light but I could definitely see myself ordering either one of those contours in the future over say a 3B and calling you guys to make sure threads will work with what I’m looking for.
I think that's on point. The lack of taper makes things look a little strange and it's definitely not for everyone. Years ago I made some barrels that I had to recontour on a manual machine without the taper attachment. They shot fine but the guy who asked for it did notice that it was a somewhat funny looking hunting barrel.

It's not much different what the carbon barrel cores look like before being wrapped.

I think that's on point. The lack of taper makes things look a little strange and it's definitely not for everyone. Years ago I made some barrels that I had to recontour on a manual machine without the taper attachment. They shot fine but the guy who asked for it did notice that it was a somewhat funny looking hunting barrel.

It's not much different what the carbon barrel cores look like before being wrapped.

The good news is I think a lot of hunters are starting to shoot enough where they understand to buy a barrel channel big and not worry about the looks. Atleast that’s the boat I’m in.

A 22” .680 taperless 6.5 creed with 9/16 threads sounds about perfect for a nrl hunter/hunting rifle.