• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your PVA prefit experience

Ordered one during a sale 2 years ago. Tikka 26” M24 shouldered prefit. It was delivered in just under 2 weeks.

Called and talked to the office guy before ordering and had great communication with them.

Also, it shoots great and no issues with head space.

Last edited:
I’ve read about lead time issues with quite a few well regarded companies here. Decided to give PVA a shot. Paid a rush fee for 2 weeks and got the shipping notice today after only a week. Excited for it to come in.
Just curious, what action/chamber did you get your prefit for? I also paid the 2 week rush and today is the 2 week mark with no movement.

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude
Well got my barrel in Monday, quicker than the two week turnaround time I paid extra for so no complaints there. Pretty much where the exceeding/meeting expectations stops. I’ll be contacting them first thing Monday morning over a few issues I’m not too happy about. Hindsight I should have given the entire barrel a once over before install, but this was my first bolt action barrel swap (always dabbled in the AR world) and I’ve been working for nearly three weeks straight so I was a tad excited to get a day off. A couple of obvious things that should have made me stop and go no further until I contacted them, but lesson learned. We’ll see what they have to say Monday morning and that will determine how I rate my experience.

Well got my barrel in Monday, quicker than the two week turnaround time I paid extra for so no complaints there. Pretty much where the exceeding/meeting expectations stops. I’ll be contacting them first thing Monday morning over a few issues I’m not too happy about. Hindsight I should have given the entire barrel a once over before install, but this was my first bolt action barrel swap (always dabbled in the AR world) and I’ve been working for nearly three weeks straight so I was a tad excited to get a day off. A couple of obvious things that should have made me stop and go no further until I contacted them, but lesson learned. We’ll see what they have to say Monday morning and that will determine how I rate my experience.
Share the issues here since you’re bothering to post about it at all. We don’t need teasers.

I’m also curious, I got mine this week and everything looks pretty good. Got it torqued onto the action and head spacing was correct. Probably won’t get it out to the range until next weekend

Was going to wait until I talk to him to post pictures, but here they are. Plan to call and see if we can work out an agreement, don’t want to just outright bash a vendor without speaking to them.

1. Entire barrel has nicks all over it. Should have been the stopping point, but I was excited to have it and thought it wouldn’t bother me since he got the barrel to me early. My fault for not stopping here. Excuse the coloring on the wall, sometimes your overactive 3 year old finds things to do while you work on guns lol.
2. Again cosmetic, but the PVA logo is laser etched and backwards. Picture with the serial number is to show they are in correct orientation while the logo is not.
3. It’s not close enough to the bore to where I think it will cause accuracy issues, but the crown has two large nicks in it as well. Again, my fault for not taking off the protective covers and inspecting the entire barrel upon receipt.

Attachments

• B9CB4EE6-0301-4F02-8F1E-04643745F643.jpeg
    B9CB4EE6-0301-4F02-8F1E-04643745F643.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 80FC9346-98C6-4691-AA66-DFBBB2AA7D78.jpeg
    80FC9346-98C6-4691-AA66-DFBBB2AA7D78.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 391
  • 114D6BF0-06B0-4839-B4B0-D3750486004E.jpeg
    114D6BF0-06B0-4839-B4B0-D3750486004E.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 403
  • FB6AF621-391C-4766-AC61-0145123C7EAC.jpeg
    FB6AF621-391C-4766-AC61-0145123C7EAC.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 395
  • B4ECDB6C-3DA7-4819-8FD2-2577D43F605B.jpeg
    B4ECDB6C-3DA7-4819-8FD2-2577D43F605B.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 397

Machine Work Rush Fee:
Standard Rush (2 weeks, +$100)
Super Rush (1 week, +$200)
I like it very much that if you are willing to fork over some extra coin you can save some time great job PVA!

Was going to wait until I talk to him to post pictures, but here they are. Plan to call and see if we can work out an agreement, don’t want to just outright bash a vendor without speaking to them.

1. Entire barrel has nicks all over it. Should have been the stopping point, but I was excited to have it and thought it wouldn’t bother me since he got the barrel to me early. My fault for not stopping here. Excuse the coloring on the wall, sometimes your overactive 3 year old finds things to do while you work on guns lol.
2. Again cosmetic, but the PVA logo is laser etched and backwards. Picture with the serial number is to show they are in correct orientation while the logo is not.
3. It’s not close enough to the bore to where I think it will cause accuracy issues, but the crown has two large nicks in it as well. Again, my fault for not taking off the protective covers and inspecting the entire barrel upon receipt.
That is odd. My engraving lined up perfectly on the right side with 80fl/lbs of torque

That is odd. My engraving lined up perfectly on the right side with 80fl/lbs of torque
Serial numbers line up perfect on the right side. I’m at 75 ft/lbs. logo lines up on the left side, just upside down lol. Pretty sure my original barrel on the nucleus was from PVA as well, just not marked. Serial numbers were on the right side as well.

I could live with an upside down logo, but that barrel looks like it pogo sticked across a parking lot. Who was the shipper and what did the shipping carton look like? Was it re-taped? Hard to believe Josh or Joe would let something like that ship.

Once received an acoustic guitar that was left by UPS, big old sasquatch sized bootprint right in center of box. Pulled out camera and photographed it and once opened the entire center of guitar sat 1-2 lower than where it should be. Vendor quickly notified UPS and they initially denied damage claim until they received my photographs from vendor.

I'm sure PVA will make it right.

TM6

I could live with an upside down logo, but that barrel looks like it pogo sticked across a parking lot. Who was the shipper and what did the shipping carton look like? Was it re-taped? Hard to believe Josh or Joe would let something like that ship.

Once received an acoustic guitar that was left by UPS, big old sasquatch sized bootprint right in center of box. Pulled out camera and photographed it and once opened the entire center of guitar sat 1-2 lower than where it should be. Vendor quickly notified UPS and they initially denied damage claim until they received my photographs from vendor.

I'm sure PVA will make it right.

TM6
It was USPS. Box was not re-taped and appeared in good condition. I still have the box. I picked it up directly from the post office, which doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been damaged in transit. Logo is purely cosmetic, and doesn’t really bother me. Just with everything else it gives off the vibe that the entire job was rushed.

That is a train wreck! Not PVA standard as many of us have stated we would buy again due to quality and performance of their prefits. Sure they will make it right.

I never would have installed that on my rifle...

My Defiance prefit doesn’t even have a logo!

Sarcasm here because I believe that’s mentioned in the product description.

That looks like shit. That would almost have to be done in transit although my barrels came packaged well. Are you sure you didn’t drop that thing a lot. Lol.

• Haha
@ruger35

I'm sorry to see that your barrel was so damaged. It really looks like transit damage, I know for absolute certain that it didn't leave here with those marks on them because I personally boxed it up and polished it.

The engraving, not sure what's off there but we can sort that out when we get the barrel back from you.

Since it's saturday I'm with my kids at the pool right now and not working for once. We will take care of it.

@ruger35

I'm sorry to see that your barrel was so damaged. It really looks like transit damage, I know for absolute certain that it didn't leave here with those marks on them because I personally boxed it up and polished it.

The engraving, not sure what's off there but we can sort that out when we get the barrel back from you.

Since it's saturday I'm with my kids at the pool right now and not working for once. We will take care of it.
That’s what I expected to hear and didn’t want to bother on a weekend. I appreciate you taking time to chime in.

Barrel from the fourth sale arrived today. Iv learned to double gunsmith lead times so it’s a pleasant surprise when something shows up before the estimated date.

Machine work looks awesome. USPS didn’t beat up any fence posts with mine.

I think I’ll be ordering another on the next sale. I think I need a matching 6.5 creedmoor barrel.

had a few so far and they are as good as advertised

so far:
25cal
6mm
6.5mm
300 NM
338 LM

shoot lights out

as said above, they come packaged pretty well so they arent beat to shit

comms are pretty good, everyone gets busy but Josh gets back to you

next one will be from them as well

CS has been ok. Not amazing like seekins has been for me. They will get back with you it just might take a few days. And I had one barrel deliver on time and another way late.

On a positive, both of the barrels hammer!

Reactions: BigDaddy0381
Something you have to remember is PVA is a smaller shop and doesn't have 50 people working there. Time Josh spends on the phone or email is time he is not making barrels or other parts or work. He does get to them but it might take a day or two. Same with a PM here if you try to get him. I know in today's "Got to have satisfaction NOW" society a little patience is sometimes needed. I know I am guilty of it at times too but have to talk myself off the ledge and relax. Biggest take away is in the end you will have an accurate rifle which is what we all want.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I agree with the instant expectations and the small shop. I don’t want to come off being a cry baby about it. Just putting out realistic expectations and experience. My dealings with them have been good, answered my questions and barrels are excellent. But they are not the company for the person wanting weekly updates on their order and expecting them to answer their phone every time you call.

I will be using them again

Yeah my comment wasn't aimed at you or anyone in here but just a general statement. Most of the smaller shops run like that. Had a great smith about 20 years ago who was like that and got run out of business in part by people complaining about comms. They are important but sometimes it might take a day or two. The whole weekly call to check on status is what kills timelines as like I said that time away is less time to work on rifles. Get a basic timeline and then wait until that timeline to call. That's good with any company. Hell I have had a Gen III Razor on order since January and was told June. I called in June and was told a few more weeks. We are in August and I haven't called back yet but will the end of the month.

Reactions: Baron85
Just goes to show that a business is only as strong as it is on the back end of the office. As a customer, I would at least expect someone to at least reply back to my emails since I did take the time to write it. A simple yes or no would work, that goes a long way IMO. But to not even answer at all, is just a message they don't want my business. I have had multiple business owners even send me emails in the middle of night, I'm not saying that everyone should work themselves to death, but it will instill a bit of assurance the company will take care of a customer. Last night I just had a vendor send me the final invoice on a 300NM barrel I ordered. Not only did they keep their promised timeline, they also sent me the tracking number late in the night. Totally unexpected from that vendor.

Just goes to show that a business is only as strong as it is on the back end of the office. As a customer, I would at least expect someone to at least reply back to my emails since I did take the time to write it. A simple yes or no would work, that goes a long way IMO. But to not even answer at all, is just a message they don't want my business. I have had multiple business owners even send me emails in the middle of night, I'm not saying that everyone should work themselves to death, but it will instill a bit of assurance the company will take care of a customer. Last night I just had a vendor send me the final invoice on a 300NM barrel I ordered. Not only did they keep their promised timeline, they also sent me the tracking number late in the night. Totally unexpected from that vendor.

Where did I say you should be fine with no reply? I didn't and you shouldn't be but some people send an email and expect an answer in minutes. Not realistic. Maybe in a big company but even then it might take a day or two or three. Also if you are writing an email weekly wanting updates then that's a problem also. Not every smith is a GAP with a large support staff. Some are a few people who need to be working or bills don't get paid and customers don't get product. This is where the customer comes in to the picture to be patient as I mentioned. Hell I sent a large trigger company an email and it took them over a week to get back to me. Sometimes it takes time.

And do you want a smith who has been up all night answering many unneeded emails getting a few hours of sleep and waking up and working on your rifle? I don't. LOL Some emails should be sent and answered and some are just people who have to micro manage everything. Those are the ones who need to control themselves and it's not a vendor/company issue. They need to understand that weekly emails don't help them.

Also some of those responses are automated to be sent out at specific times so they might not be up at 2am hitting the send button. ;)

I am not speaking for Josh or PVA here so everyone knows. These are my thoughts on having friends who own business like this and hearing their stories and also being on the other side and learning what the customer has to do as well for a business to work.

Reactions: DIBBS
And do you want a smith who has been up all night answering many unneeded emails getting a few hours of sleep and waking up and working on your rifle? I don't. LOL Some emails should be sent and answered and some are just people who have to micro manage everything. Those are the ones who need to control themselves and it's not a vendor/company issue. They need to understand that weekly emails don't help them.I had my one ( so far)
This is a great example and well said!

I had my one ( so far) 6.5 barrel done by PVA and the whole transaction, start to finish was great!

I have posted before about this, it took longer than expected, it was right at the beginning of the covid reset, the communication was great and the barrel is lights out! Given what was transpiring at the time, I was happy as hell to even get it! Businesses all over the country were shut down by marxists, you don't know what the situation is in any given state you don't live in.

You want custom, STFU and be patient! You want it now, order from Brownells! Hint....................calling every day and e mailing 5 times does NOT result in your barrel being finished faster!

I don't mean to be too harsh but WTF???? If this shit was so easy to do, you would be doing it yourself! I had no problem waiting

Reactions: max1840
I've used PVA for 4 or 5 barrels and I'll go back for more. I like their website that allows all the options to be specified and ordered quickly without hunting around for an in stock barrel contour and calling smiths.

Delivery usually takes a few months and I know it will when I order so Im never disappointed with a wait. I did one time use the 2-week rush fee and had my barrel in hand in 2-weeks like I paid for. I'm trying to get into the habit of ordering a replacement barrel right when I screw on the current barrel so I have the replacement well in advance of it's need. It's only when getting into new calibers that I may want a rush.

Had a couple of Tikka prefit from PVA using Rock Creek blank 3 years in 308win and 6.5creedmoor, not sure how much expectation should I set to? I couldn't get any group better than 0.5-0.6MOA, most time are 0.8-1.1MOA during load development seating depth test. Should I be worry about the accuracy or maybe that's me?
I am hand loading using quality components and can get single digit SD and low ES between 10-20.

My 6BR barrel from them shot excellent from the start. I probably got lucky, I tried my friends load from his 6br and it hammered. Later I actually did a load development and the load from my friends rifle ended up being the best.

My second barrel is a tikka 223 and I struggled getting a solid load for it. Kept chasing my tail, multiple load developments different bullets and powder for the first 100 or so rounds then it seemed to settle in and is shooting multiple loads excellent. Guess it just wanted to break in first.

I went out yesterday with the tikka to test the difference between weighed charges and thrown powder charges for an upcoming prarie dog hunt. The weighed charges were 1/4-3/8” easily for 3-3shot groups. The thrown charges were just slightly larger, largest was 1/2”.

Both of mine are the osprey blanks.

Had a couple of Tikka prefit from PVA using Rock Creek blank 3 years in 308win and 6.5creedmoor, not sure how much expectation should I set to? I couldn't get any group better than 0.5-0.6MOA, most time are 0.8-1.1MOA during load development seating depth test. Should I be worry about the accuracy or maybe that's me?
I am hand loading using quality components and can get single digit SD and low ES between 10-20.

Really only something you can answer as we don't know your shooting ability. Can you shoot under 1/2 MOA consistently? Not everyone can and it's not a slam but just something needed to help figure if it's the rifle or the shooter holding back the accuracy.

Also low chrono numbers does not make an accurate load. It just means low numbers.

PVA makes a great barrel. The shouldered pre-fit that I ordered from them on my Nucleus Gen2 action has been very accurate, and cosmetically perfect. Josh even called me to let me know that the original barrel that was sent to be cerakoted was lost in shipment, and he expedited a new barrel for me.
I'll order more barrel's from them.

Awsome sounds good on the CS.
I have one prefit (remx) that shoots great so I ordered another. A small mix up happened and was sent the incorrect length and OD. I sent an email and Josh ( replyed back fast) and said he would make it right when the new order of blanks arrived, I sent email asking how to return the one I got trying to get a game plan together. No reply for 10 days. No biggie I get the small shop and life and all that. So, I took it apon my self to send the incorrect one back.
It should arrive Monday and I'm sure I'll hear back then. I'm really not worried and not knocking anyone or calling out PVA. Just curious on how the CS was handled.
I'm still pumped about getting the correct one and getting it up and running.

I like there 6mm Seneca bullets also..

I can tell you for certain that the coyotes around here hate that PVA sent a couple of 6br barrels this way. Both were absolute hammers. They were the cut rifle Rock Creek from a couple of years ago. Brass comes out with minimal growth as well.

Awsome sounds good on the CS.
I have one prefit (remx) that shoots great so I ordered another. A small mix up happened and was sent the incorrect length and OD. I sent an email and Josh ( replyed back fast) and said he would make it right when the new order of blanks arrived, I sent email asking how to return the one I got trying to get a game plan together. No reply for 10 days. No biggie I get the small shop and life and all that. So, I took it apon my self to send the incorrect one back.
It should arrive Monday and I'm sure I'll hear back then. I'm really not worried and not knocking anyone or calling out PVA. Just curious on how the CS was handled.
I'm still pumped about getting the correct one and getting it up and running.

I like there 6mm Seneca bullets also..
@bohem
@BigDaddy0381

What's the length and OD on the returned barrel? I'd like a shot a purchasing it, as is, depending on the specs.

Thanks!

Low/tight chrono numbers are only an indictor of a load but not a guarantee.
Many times when folks have problems with a barrel there's something else going on with the rifle. With a rifle that comes complete from a shop then it's on the shop to assemble everything and make sure there isn't something rubbing, long action screws, bolt handle touching the stock, trigger dragging in the well, etc.

Look for anything tight or rubbing on the trigger well, the bolt handle and the barrel channel.
Make sure the action screws aren't too long, especially the front screw. If it's touching (especially intermittently) on the bolt head you're in for a rollercoaster of "it shoots, no it doesn't, yes it does..."
Check to see if you have a carbon ring building in the rifle throat. That needs to come out.
Check to see if the crown drags fibers off a qtip. If it does then we need to recrown that barrel. This is becoming more and more of a problem with folks who aren't properly trained in cleaning a precision rifle barrel. Sometimes we screw up a crown but it's rare, less than 1% of a problem.
If you have a suppressor on the rifle take the suppressor and any other muzzle device on there off and shoot it without anything on the muzzle. See if it's really a barrel problem and not a brake issue.
And the old staples: Check screw torque, check base and rings, tracking check your scope.

If you've gone through all this stuff and you're still having problems then please reach out and I'll see what else we can do to assist you.

As far as answering emails and the phone: @Rob01 hit it on the head. I don't employ someone to sit on the phone and answer it all the time. We do the best we can but if both Ben and I are elbows deep in something we let it go to voicemail. Continually stopping for distractions on a detailed task is a great way for things to get screwed up. When your barrel is screwed up do you want to hear "well we didn't miss any phone calls while we assembled your rifle".

No, you want to hear "I'll get back to their email after I make sure your rifle is correct."

Ultimately the responsibility for a high quality, safe product is with me. I do not babysit the phone, email or forums and let unsupervised work go out the door. The shop practice is that nobody checks their own work. If I cut a barrel then Ben inspects and gauges everything before it leaves and visa versa.

We stock "ready to ship" barrels in common calibers and common actions. If you're in a hurry (or just impatient) then don't order a custom barrel, order something that is sitting on the shelf and can ship the next business day. We pack, ship and get pickup from 3 major carriers 5 days of the week. Parts like brakes, bullets, barrel nuts, and RTS prefits ship immediately.

Last edited: