• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Your sniping rig

96C

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 9, 2007
    Aust
    Men,

Was thinking we should have a place to show pictures of your current setup used for work / rec sniper work.

It's always a good thing to see how everyone else does it. I'll get a couple pictures when I'm home in a few weeks, until then it'd be good to see how you roll.

Maybe a picture of the rig bombed up and another one with the gear laid out would be good.

Thanks.
    96C

Re: Your sniping rig

6fb5955e.jpg

My oppo and I have the same rig at the moment, both made by SORD all MOLLE compatible.

2 x AICS 10rnd
    2 x AICS 5rnd
    Boresnake 7.62mm
    Basic rifle cleaning kit M16 style
    1 x box Hornady TAP 168gr

Fold out dope sheet
    Data Book, spiral bound
    Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC
    Pens / Mildot Master / Slope Doper
    Garmin GPS MAP 60Cx
    Silva 54/6400B Compass

Uniden open-net pers comms radio + hand mic
    Oldschool Leatherman multitool
    Petzl Taktikka Plus headlamp
    Peltor ComTac ears
    CRKT First Strike fixed blade knife

Surefire G2 + Red Filter FM35
    Spare AA batteries for comms & ears
    Spare 9V batteries for LRF

Blackhawk hellstorm nomex flight gloves (beat to shit)
    1QT Canteen
    1 x Ration Pack meal
    50' Paracord
    1 x FFD
    1 x Quikclot ACS
    1 x CAT TQ
    1 x roll electrical tape

+- other bits and pieces as required.

Snipe hunting is not a sport for the weak at hear, that being said I'll play,

5.11 pants
    5.11 shirt
    Benchmade infadel
    mesh bag with lots of ventalation so the snipes arent suffocated
    Cardboard tube to knock em out.

P4010003.JPG

sorry just could not resist....

I was hoping this would be a serious topic, to be used as a reference for other members who give a shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping this would be a serious topic, to be used as a reference for other members who give a shit. </div></div>

sorry its hard to be serious while living in an actual combat zone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping this would be a serious topic, to be used as a reference for other members who give a shit. </div></div>

sorry its hard to be serious while living in an actual combat zone. </div></div>

+1

Ive been in southern afghanistan since August so I know how you feel... However, if you have a serious rig you want to talk about this is the place
    wink.gif

I'm not going to break your balls because we're in this together mate, I'm sure the snipes hate your cardboard tube!

96c, I'm no Sniper, but I'm really looking forward too see how this thread turns out.

Poke, I laughed my head off when I read that, thanks.

Top Predator, That's a filthy, disgusting, wicked-assed, set-up!

-Pat

96C- Just curious which front your vest is? Is it the vest front or the LBV front? Also mind sharing some of the pouchs you use?

No worries Kink, in the picture it's laid out flat and open so the middle section sits on my back. The left wing is on the left front when done up etc.

There are three adjustable fastex buckles there that are, when clipped up splayed apart enough to lay flat on your belly with no interferance of any kind from the equipment in the rig itself.

I prefer this over any zip due to the fact that clips aren't so much bothered by grit where as zips will fail if you get enough crud in them.

I worked at SORD, the manufacturer for 5 years so the rig was just pieced together using pouches commercially available through work.

The base platform is the SCS LBV Front with the SCS Vest Back (4 columns wide).

Left Side:
    1- SR25x2
    1- Accessories Small (3 columns)
    1- CRKT First Strike knife

Back Panel:
    1- Accessories Extra Large Top Zip (4 columns) at bottom.
    1- Utility Small
    1- Motorolla XTS5000 Radio Pouch

Right Panel:
    1- G2 Pouch MOLLE
    1- Accessories Small (3 columns)
    1- SR25x2

All good stuff
    smile.gif
    guys put some pics of your gear up.

Out of 21,161 registered members.... Not a single <span style="font-weight: bold">rig</span> posted. Not even from PP (who we all know has 4 million euro's worth of kit haha) Good work fellas, nice one
    wink.gif

Anyway, I cant remember where I came across this picture and I dont know who it belongs to but it's got some nice points.

9c468b63.jpg

The old ALICE style belt rig, H Harness with a bum pack. It's prompted some thought in my mind about going back to the basics and re-looking at the belt rig approach. The stock pack on the bum bag there is a nice point with the round tray directly below it. Looks like a pretty good setup. Would be interested to see the rest of the rig and what he carries about.

96C, its all in fun, I am not a sniper I have a co-worker that was a marine scout sniper, he was supposed to send me some pics he showed me of his rig from then (mid early 90's) odd thing is he doesnt even like to shoot anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you use the outdated hard plastic canteens instead of a modern hydro system?</div></div>
    I haven't done my Snipers course either just yet due a crapped out disc that's now 99% GTG, but we are very self sustaining for at least a few days when slinking around.

In my pack is the rest of the water obviously:
    2 x 2 litre bladders
    2 x 2 litre south african water bottles
    1 x 3 litre Sea-To-Summit 'pack tap' water bag
    With the option of adding 2-4 of the 1qt canteens for quick change without mucking around.

In my second line, I've always had at least one hard canteen because you can rely on it being beaten around and not bursting. We all know how tough the bladders are nowadays but it's piece of mind.

With the ALICE pack, I find its also more comfortable not to have the bladder on your rig fighting for space with the frame.

If you haven't seen the "South African Water Bottles" I suggest you check them out, it's basically a 1QT Canteen, thats a rectangle and holds 2 litres. Pack well, stack well, solid.

How much water do you guys generally carry out in the field?

@ Poke, sounds good brother! looking forward to seeing it
    smile.gif

Surprised at the lack of photos on here. Here's my humble offering - Knights MK11, Eberlestock Phantom G4 and all the stuffing like raingear, hide building stuff, fence cutters, tools, lockpicks, logs/data books, bino's, rangefinder, food, jetboil, webbing and 550 cord, lights, ass wipe, NV attachments, extra ammo and gloves/hats- Rifle's pretty new, so it's not painted yet. Still breaking her in. I miss my M700, but this one has potential and fits several roles.
    P1000613.jpg

All packed up and ready to go.
    P1000615.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inspcalahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surprised at the lack of photos on here. Here's my humble offering - Knights MK11, Eberlestock Phantom G4 and all the stuffing like raingear, hide building stuff, fence cutters, tools, lockpicks, logs/data books, bino's, rangefinder, food, jetboil, webbing and 550 cord, lights, ass wipe, NV attachments, extra ammo and gloves/hats- Rifle's pretty new, so it's not painted yet. Still breaking her in. I miss my M700, but this one has potential and fits several roles.
    P1000613.jpg

All packed up and ready to go.
    P1000615.jpg
    </div></div>

Very nice setup!

Thanks for sharing mate! Aweosme load out
    smile.gif

How much does that all weigh good go to?

Any more, guys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for sharing mate! Aweosme load out
    smile.gif

How much does that all weigh good go to?

Any more, guys? </div></div>

Never weighed it - don't really want to know. It's heavy, especially when I toss in a few water bottles/etc - but I'm not humping the backcountry with it either. It's for work, where I go from my vehicle and get into a postition somewhere, often in buildings or woods within 1/2-3/4 of a mile from where I park. Not pictured is the cold weather gear, that I've happily put back in storage for a few months.

my new rig so far. Blackwater gear that I got really cheap.
    IMG_5863.jpg

the blackwater rifle shell pouches are really nice
    IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

Thanks for sharing the rigs guys!
    I'm back to the Land of Oz finally.

kit.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911TD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Day where did you score that rig ? That looks just about right. </div></div>

I got it at botachtactical.com

plate carrier was $25, rifle pouches $11 each tripple frag $15

this is a very good and a worth while topic. i wish others would add to it. been almost 6mo without activity. how about it. i hope this will get going again. Dennis

DSCN0533.jpg

Pack is a Mystery Ranch item, great bag. I don't have a picture of the contents but it's totally mission dependent. Wish I could get Big Brother to buy me an Ebelstock bag, maybe one day. I just lash my rifle to the side of the bag, if I'm carrying a carbine/MG or need my hands free. Bag can sustain for days.

Very interesting thread. I've been working on my kit by trial and error. I'll throw up what I got, let me know what you think.

BTT

Would like to see more please....been using a Gen1 Gunslinger and looking at going with a vest/hydration/cartridge/light...blah blah....nothing for AR platform but mainly just bolt action DMB's and WSM cases.

I think that the thicker shoulder sections of the vests would be more comfortable than the 1 1/2" straps but am unsure...any input?

Also most of the vest's I find for under $100 (cheap I know but for ocasional use it will last a long time) only come in one size...I am 6'9" 285lbs....am I crazy for thinking one of the lesser vests will fit me? Or does the higher end shit really adjust and fit better? Eagle or SOTECH being higher end. Condor and Leapers being the cheapies.

pshell,
    How do you lash the rifle to the side of the mystery ranch? Does it through the balance of the pack way off?

anyone have pics of their med kit contents they carry? Thinking mine is a bit too heavy these days. Probably all told weight 1.5lbs which is not much - but better to have what you need than to not have it. I also carry a Spot Tracker. For reference, 95% of the time I'm usually out in the wilderness alone. When carrying this amount of stuff I just remind myself of the guy in Utah that had to cut his arm off with a knife...

Contents:
    <span style="font-weight: bold">standards in the pouch</span>: gauzes, bandaids, tape, sponge type gauze, antibiotic creme, scissors, petroleum bandage, sutures, survival blanket, wire splint
    <span style="font-weight: bold">medications in the pouch</span>: flexaril, tylenol, aspirin, time release morphine, anti-diarrhea pills, iodine tablets
    <span style="font-weight: bold">trauma stuff that doesn't fit in the pouch</span>: blood clotter (2), superstat collagen hemostat (2), wound irrigation syringe, 500ml saline, second skin (this stuff is great)
    <span style="font-weight: bold">wilderness medical manual</span>: I only carry this if I'm out with people that don't know wtf they're doing and I get hurt... not a great situation but you can't expect everyone to have the education.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .....Not even from PP (who we all know has 4 million euro's worth of kit haha ) ....... </div></div>

Well brother , not so much indeed , really !
    grin.gif

I'll post my shit , just need time to shot some pix .

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300snipe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have pics of their med kit contents they carry? Thinking mine is a bit too heavy these days. Probably all told weight 1.5lbs which is not much - but better to have what you need than to not have it. I also carry a Spot Tracker. For reference, 95% of the time I'm usually out in the wilderness alone. When carrying this amount of stuff I just remind myself of the guy in Utah that had to cut his arm off with a knife...

Contents:
    <span style="font-weight: bold">standards in the pouch</span>: gauzes, bandaids, tape, sponge type gauze, antibiotic creme, scissors, petroleum bandage, sutures, survival blanket, wire splint
    <span style="font-weight: bold">medications in the pouch</span>: flexaril, tylenol, aspirin, time release morphine, anti-diarrhea pills, iodine tablets
    <span style="font-weight: bold">trauma stuff that doesn't fit in the pouch</span>: blood clotter (2), superstat collagen hemostat (2), wound irrigation syringe, 500ml saline, second skin (this stuff is great)
    <span style="font-weight: bold">wilderness medical manual</span>: I only carry this if I'm out with people that don't know wtf they're doing and I get hurt... not a great situation but you can't expect everyone to have the education.
    </div></div>

I carry a space blanket wrapped around 3-4 tampons and 3-4 maxi pads, with a roll of electrical tape in it, all taped up. The femanine probucts soak up a ton of liquid and I would trust a Tampon to stop the leakage of a hole poked in myself by a stick, and a tampon shoved in a deep cut and taped up with electrical tape. While not the manliest thing to carry they are very absorbant and swell with absorbtion. Works better than grease, yes I have seen grease used for heavy equipment packed into a chainsaw cut on a leg, took the ER forever to clean it all out but it stopped the bleeding.
    sick.gif

Might be time to take some pics!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Works better than grease, yes I have seen grease used for heavy equipment packed into a chainsaw cut on a leg, took the ER forever to clean it all out but it stopped the bleeding.
    sick.gif

Might be time to take some pics!!! </div></div>

That would be a crazy thing to see
    eek.gif

yeah , my buddy and i were talking about puttinng together
    our own 1st aid kits, instead of buying them

tampons and other fem. products were on the top of the list

small roll duct tape, (tears easy)
    some ibuprofen
    eye wash saline

good thread

more pics of the KITS !!

I'm just a recreational shooter. My stuff is pretty old school, but works for my needs.

If I'm going light, I just go with a Y-harness, butt pack, and canteen. The little pack holds ammo (in ziploc baggie), laser, drop charts, beanbag, gloves, earplugs.
    CopyofIMG_8419.jpg

If I'm going heavy, I use a large ALICE pack. I'll add more ammo, food, elbow pads, cleaning/maint kit, some snivel gear.
    Img_5751.jpg

CopyofIMG_1346.jpg

Personally I'm not organized or experienced enough to have a rig, or feeling Walter Mitty enough to shuffle all my gear into a photo op, but I have a a couple of links from the web that give good examples of what works for other folks. I hope its not inappropriate to post them.
    from sniper country

from david wilson (scroll down to "load out")

from warrior talk