• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zeiss LRP S3 New First Focal Plane Riflescopes for Long-Range Precision Shooting

Man, I'm on the fence between the S3 4-25 or the ATACR 4-20. Has anyone compared the two?

Man, I'm on the fence between the S3 4-25 or the ATACR 4-20. Has anyone compared the two?
I’ve spent a fair amount of time behind both of these scopes with the Zeiss on my center fire and the atacr on my rimfire.

To me the glass on the Zeiss is a step above the NF in clarity and contrast and colors appear brighter in the Zeiss. I find eyebox to be more or less the same but haven’t taken the NF past 200 yds. On the turrets I prefer the grip on the NF and find the clicks to feel a bit more distinct and sound a bit better so give the edge to NF but Zeiss r by no means bad. I do find the NF mag to be too tight for my liking so between the mag smoothness and glass if buying again I’d go with a S3.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time behind both of these scopes with the Zeiss on my center fire and the atacr on my rimfire.

To me the glass on the Zeiss is a step above the NF in clarity and contrast and colors appear brighter in the Zeiss. I find eyebox to be more or less the same but haven’t taken the NF past 200 yds. On the turrets I prefer the grip on the NF and find the clicks to feel a bit more distinct and sound a bit better so give the edge to NF but Zeiss r by no means bad. I do find the NF mag to be too tight for my liking so between the mag smoothness and glass if buying again I’d go with a S3.
Thanks man. I have a feeling I'll be getting an S3 this week. Just curious....is your S3 the 36X or the 25X version?

If anyone does not want to wait on the Zeiss flip-up caps for the S3, I've found that these MK Machining flip-up caps work very well with the LRP S3 425x50:

MKM Scope Caps By Size

Zeiss LRP S3 425x50
Eyepiece: 1.777"
Objective: 2.365"

Last edited:
Also the Butler Creek Element caps will work also Objective 60-65 and Eye Piece Lg 42-47. I threw a set on my S3 until the Zeiss caps come out next month.

Reactions: MuleyTime
Has anyone had a chance to compare the glass on the S3 to a Leica Amplus? Just curious how the Leica Amplus stacks up. Thanks.

If anyone does not want to wait on the Zeiss flip-up caps for the S3, I've found that these MK Machining flip-up caps work very well with the LRP S3 425x50:

MKM Scope Caps By Size

Zeiss LRP S3 425x50
Eyepiece: 1.777"
Objective: 2.365"
Those Zeiss caps will be heading to customers......ASAP ;)

We also need to get the S3 specific caps listed on our site.

Reactions: Ichi
Those Zeiss caps will be heading to customers......ASAP ;)

We also need to get the S3 specific caps listed on our site.

You're welcome Tyler !

It's a great scope and I bought mine during MKM's Black Friday Sale.

For those of you running the optic in PRS or other similar styles of shooting, what mag range is most comfortable to shoot with in regard to ease of use with reticle subtension eye box and clarity for either the 6-36 or 4-25.
For example, I am used to using a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 between 12 to 15 power. I found a bit of trouble reading subtensions on my reticle from approximately 12x and lower. Also, the eye box was too tight to make 18 power worth the trouble except in more stable positions.

A little info from my other post on scope comparisons. Well my Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 showed up today and man it is nice! The glass is very clear and bright. Same reticle as the 6-36 so no surprise there. Basically the same excellent scope as its big brother but lower power. I took some pics of both scopes together. The 6-36 still on my Vudoo and the 4-25x50 on my 6/6.5 Creedmoor now. I have the 4-25 in a 20 MOA MPA mount so when I drop it on the Vudoo I should have close to 40.5 mils of elevation on the 40 MOA base. Will have over 34 mils on the 20 MOA base. As I said before about the 6-36, Zeiss did a great job on the 4-25 also. I have some cheap caps on it from an Arken scope until the Zeiss caps ship next month.

IMG_3311.jpg
IMG_3312.jpg
IMG_3308.jpg

For those of you running the optic in PRS or other similar styles of shooting, what mag range is most comfortable to shoot with in regard to ease of use with reticle subtension eye box and clarity for either the 6-36 or 4-25.
For example, I am used to using a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 between 12 to 15 power. I found a bit of trouble reading subtensions on my reticle from approximately 12x and lower. Also, the eye box was too tight to make 18 power worth the trouble except in more stable positions.

I was asked on another forum how far down on the power range in the 6-36 I could go and still see the break down. I checked and I could get to 8x and still see the major full mil lines and just barely make out the smaller. At 10x and up the reticle was pretty easy to see and use. I haven't checked on the 4-25x yet but shouldn't be much off that I would guess.

@Rob01 you feel the 4-25 is as forgiving to get behind DOF and eyebox wise as the 6-36? It appears to be an ideal rimfire scope spec wise.

@Rob01 you feel the 4-25 is as forgiving to get behind DOF and eyebox wise as the 6-36? It appears to be an ideal rimfire scope spec wise.

I had it out today and it's pretty easy to get behind when I dropped the rifle on a prop. Feels the same as the 6-36 on similar powers. One thing I noticed is with the center mil only lighting it's almost like a red dot scope where the eye gets drawn to the center of the reticle. I kind of like it in a centerfire. Not as big of a deal on a rimfire as with holds you will be outside the 1 mil area pretty quick.

And I agree that it's an ideal rimfire scope spec with it's 46.5 mils. You can dial along way with it. I have it on my centerfire now and will be running it in a match in a few weeks but believe me the thought of popping it over to my Vudoo has crossed my mind.

Hmmmm... with all the travel in the 4-25 I'm tempted to pick one up for my .22LR and move the S&B 3-20 that's currently on it over to something else.

Any weird image artifacts or distortion when you have crazy amounts of elevation (near either the upper or lower limits) cranked into the 4-25?

Hmmmm... with all the travel in the 4-25 I'm tempted to pick one up for my .22LR and move the S&B 3-20 that's currently on it over to something else.

Any weird image artifacts or distortion when you have crazy amounts of elevation (near either the upper or lower limits) cranked into the 4-25?

No I actually spoke to Zeiss about this and the 46.5 is the working range where you get a totally clear picture. I know some have stated getting near 50 mils and I mentioned this and they said that is getting to max travel and can start to show some shadowing and why they said they are using the 46.5 range as the workable elevation.

No I actually spoke to Zeiss about this and the 46.5 is the working range where you get a totally clear picture. I know some have stated getting near 50 mils and I mentioned this and they said that is getting to max travel and can start to show some shadowing and why they said they are using the 46.5 range as the workable elevation.

55.1 on mine, my stock is at the stock doc for a KMW loggerhead but when I get it back and get it to the range I'll report back on my finding on this as I believe my zero will be in the no-mans land between 46.5 and that 55.1 with the amount of cant I'll be using.

Reactions: Rob01
55.1 on mine, my stock is at the stock doc for a KMW loggerhead but when I get it back and get it to the range I'll report back on my finding on this as I believe my zero will be in the no-mans land between 46.5 and that 55.1 with the amount of cant I'll be using.

Definitely let us know. I will only have about 60 moa at most in my combo for cant so at about 40 mils of travel so should be inside the 46.5 but interested if you can get over that 46.5 and not lose anything for clarity especially on the lower end.

Another question for the 4-25 users... How touchy is the parallax and how forgiving is the depth of field?

I'm now thinking about getting 3 of these for the rimfires...

Another question for the 4-25 users... How touchy is the parallax and how forgiving is the depth of field?

I'm now thinking about getting 3 of these for the rimfires...

I have never "wished for it to be better" is how I'd describe it. Not quite as good as say a Razor Gen3 when I did glass comparisons, and seeing trees hundreds of yards behind a target in a field, but certainly better than many.

You can look at my previous posts with glass comparisons and get a good idea.

I put the 4-25 on a rimfire. Like it a lot. Using a 50moa base, I have 38.7 mil of elevation travel with 50y zero. Glass is great. Easy to get behind the optic. Really like the reticle. I run a NF ATACR 7-35 on my centerfire PRS rifle and glass is as good IMHO. I prefer ATACRS view through the optic as I see less tube than with the Zeiss, but it’s minimal. Zeiss is very nice. Great value.

Well it came in and I have to say from the initial inspection while and after mounting this scope is nice! Glass is great and the reticleis a good size and easy to see even when dialing down power. Also to the discussion of the reticle bleed on max power, mine didn't have it in bright daylight. If I covered the objective with my hand and looked I saw some small spots like most scope but in bright daylight it's about the perfect brightness.

I like the way the windage and parallax/illumination reference marks are higher up so easily seen when behind the rifle. I was hearing some say the knobs are on the large side but I don't think they are. They are a good size to be able to reach up and grab and spin.

All in all Zeiss did a great job on this scope. Will be bringing it out to the range tomorrow to get zeroed and run it through it's paces.

View attachment 8088197View attachment 8088198
What is your height on the MPA rings?
Thanks
Chris

I just ordered the 425 through spartan at his sale price. Ends today. It was the same price as the euro optic dealer discount but free shipping.

Reactions: YotaEer
Figured I would post this in this thread too as not everyone has seen my other post on scope comparisons.
I got out today with the 4-25 for an initial zero and shooting out to 1000 to check data. I looked at the parallax at the 300 yard and out range and it actually worked well when transitioning. 300-500 yard is close and not a lot of adjustment needed. When I went from 600 to 1000 it was basically the same. Set at 1000 I could come in and see and impact 600 yards without issue. I did have the parallax set at the block just before the white block at infinity at 1000 on the parallax knob. It was actually the same setting for the 4-25 and 6-36 at 1000. I have a match in 2 weeks I will be shooting with the 4-25 and will have targets out to 1600 yards so will be interested to see how it does that deep.

It was a pretty hot and humid day and the mirage was cooking today but the glass did very well with it. I put it next to @DownhillFromHere ZCO with both set at 25x and the ZCO we both thought it was close but the ZCO was a little better cutting the mirage as most would expect. Had no problem seeing and hitting the piece of shot up grey 6" steel at 550 yards today so The Zeiss did a good job.

I also ended up with about 37 mils of elevation with the 4-25 in a 20 moa mount on a 20 moa base. I didn't notice any shadowing in the edges when topped out in elevation. If I put it on my 40 MOA on the Vudoo I should be able to dial out past 600 yards with the .22LR. That's nice! ;)

LRP S3 vs V6 reliability. Do we know w/o a doubt the S3 is capable of withstanding more abuse than the V6?

just got my LRP S3 mounted and damn......The glass is outstanding, and I own and demoed many different scopes (often side by side). To me, its very clean, colorful and noticeably brighter than scopes that cost more. First one I received had some illumination bleeding issues, but I sent it back and had a new one in 3 days. New one is absolutely perfect. The etching and imaging is phenomenal , tracking is razor sharp...couldn't be happier. S3 6-36-56

Has anyone compared fov between xtrpro, s3 4-25, and the s3 6-36x? I'm currently running s3 6-36 on my dasher and have a cronus on my vudoo. My s3 has a touch more than 1 mil more reticle shown at the same power level compared to my cronus. On 20x on the s3 I've got 10.2 mil of elevation showing on the reticle.

Has anyone compared fov between xtrpro, s3 4-25, and the s3 6-36x? I'm currently running s3 6-36 on my dasher and have a cronus on my vudoo. My s3 has a touch more than 1 mil more reticle shown at the same power level compared to my cronus. On 20x on the s3 I've got 10.2 mil of elevation showing on the reticle.

The xtr pro will have a marginally better FOV than the S3, but the S3 overall is a much better product. Not Close IMO.

Especially considering that the s3 and xtr pro are about the same price when ordered through hide dealers.

Last edited:
The xtr pro will have a marginally better FOV than the S3, but the S3 overall is a much better product. Not
Close IMO.

Especially considering that the s3 and xtr pro are about the same price when ordered through hide dealers.
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the s3 4-25 for the additional elevation in the turret for shooting rimfire. I didn't know how the fov compared with the 6-36. I am very happy with 6-36 s3.

Last edited:
I had the Burris Pro /the NF 7-35 ATACR/ Zeiss S3 4-25 all set to 25x yesterday just seeing for myself differences. I was looking at 22 caliber bullet holes in a Black NRA target at 200 yds which were difficult To make out with cloudy dark condition.
I am not giving a review just what I saw. The Burris and the NF were too close to call seeing detail with the S3 not quite as good.
Burris definitely on field of view was better than S3 but I really like the reticle in the S3 the best. I wish I had brought the Gen III Vortex but was rushed for time and left that rifle.

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the s3 4-25 for the additional elevation in the turret for shooting rimfire. I didn't know how the fov compared with the 6-36. I am very happy with 6-36 s3.

The razor Gen 3 also has slightly better fov, at least it seems that way. Maybe it’s just seeing less “scope” and more picture. Also think the Gen 3 upgraded turrets are better than the S3. Both better than the Xtr pro.

Otherwise, I think the glass between the s3 and Gen 3 is a wash. Eye box and eye relief is better on the s3. I also prefer the reticle of the s3.

S3 and Gen 3 razor are the two best optics going right now I feel from a value perspective at $2000ish. Just depends on what features and reticle you prefer. Sure a ZCO or tangent would be better, but for about double the price.

The razor Gen 3 also has slightly better fov, at least it seems that way. Maybe it’s just seeing less “scope” and more picture. Also think the Gen 3 upgraded turrets are better than the S3. Both better than the Xtr pro.

Otherwise, I think the glass between the s3 and Gen 3 is a wash. Eye box and eye relief is better on the s3. I also prefer the reticle of the s3.

S3 and Gen 3 razor are the two best optics going right now I feel from a value perspective at $2000ish. Just depends on what features and reticle you prefer. Sure a ZCO or tangent would be better, but for about double the price.

I'm looking at the Zeiss S3 6-36, but I didn't know brand new Razor Gen3 could be had for the $2400-2500 of a new Zeiss S3 6-36.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
Even less if you shop around. I sold my last one, new, in the PX for less.

I believe YotaEar was speaking to new scopes and not used, or he would've specified that.

I'm looking at the Zeiss S3 6-36, but I didn't know brand new Razor Gen3 could be had for the $2400-2500 of a new Zeiss S3 6-36.
You missed a flash sale with a vendor that would've been cheaper. There is a wait time though.

Indeed. That’s been mentioned, multiple times, perhaps even to that same user.
I would never actually buy a Vortex product anyway- it's a personal thing, so if I ever did read about a Vortex Flash sale- I probably wouldn't remember.

• Haha
Reactions: Hickswr
had the Burris Pro /the NF 7-35 ATACR/ Zeiss S3 4-25 all set to 25x yesterday just seeing for myself differences.
Comparing one scope at max magnification, one at one at 80% and the other at 65% of their magnification range isn't really a fair comparison when sampling IQ. Even the best of scopes suffer a degree of darkening and loss of contrast/definition as their magnification limit.