• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Zermatt/Origin action wrench alternatives?

There currently out of stock of one head, yep the model 7 for bighorn actions. Plus why are they so much more expensive, are they that nice? I think they’re supposed to be in stock in a few weeks so I’d be willing to hold off if they’re that good.
Being my first build, I feel like I’m getting hundred dollared to death! :)
I hear ya on the expense, that’s why the $48 eBay was so enticing and the quality in my eyes is great. Capitalism charge what you want right?

You can grind material off the lugs of the wrench if need be, those aren't bearing areas, just make sure it's deburred. It will probably fit no issue.

You ordered your Origin with a 5-6 month wait? Man I ordered mine from NSS a few weeks ago and they had a ton in stock.

You can grind material off the lugs of the wrench if need be, those aren't bearing areas, just make sure it's deburred. It will probably fit no issue.

You ordered your Origin with a 5-6 month wait? Man I ordered mine from NSS a few weeks ago and they had a ton in stock.
Yeah im thinking of ordering another ebay one then modifying it to work on the Origin, if I ever get it haha. Damn really? I figured that if I ordered from the manufacturer it would be quicker hahaha. oh well.

Reactions: justpassingthru
I was going to buy the one you have also but noticed they said it’s not supposed to be used for removal (maybe because of the thin part of the steel?), just for installation use. I plan on swapping barrels, not sure how frequently, but need that flexibility.

Edit: actually that wouldn’t make sense, the thin part of the steel is engaged upon installation, not removal. It should work good

Last edited:
Typically they say not to use to remove factory barrels because they are torqued on so tight or use some type of bonding agent. That's probably what they mean

Reactions: justpassingthru
Yeah im thinking of ordering another ebay one then modifying it to work on the Origin, if I ever get it haha. Damn really? I figured that if I ordered from the manufacturer it would be quicker hahaha. oh well.
How hard would it be to modify it? The extent of my metal working experience is an angle grinder. Does one need specialized tools to do this properly?

I called Zermatt once to order something and they pointed me to their vendors to make a purchase. I think the big problem right now with everyone is the supply of stainless stock. The prices are going up and the supply is down. That's what's up with these action wrenches.

How hard would it be to modify it? The extent of my metal working experience is an angle grinder. Does one need specialized tools to do this properly?

I called Zermatt once to order something and they pointed me to their vendors to make a purchase. I think the big problem right now with everyone is the supply of stainless stock. The prices are going up and the supply is down. That's what's up with these action wrenches.
I dabble in welding, and knife making. I have some tools, not machining tools but enough to do most things. I just don’t have the action yet to see what needs to be taken off.

I just ordered one of the ebay wrenches to try out also. My action should be here Thursday if UPS stays on time. Hopefully I'll have the wrench early next week to try out. If needed, a quick hit on the belt sander should do the trick for the width.

I just ordered one of the ebay wrenches to try out also. My action should be here Thursday if UPS stays on time. Hopefully I'll have the wrench early next week to try out. If needed, a quick hit on the belt sander should do the trick for the width.
That’s what I was thinking as well. I built a 2x72 belt grinder so it will make short work of it. Keep us posted.

Worst case you’re talking about taking an angle grinder to the sides of the paddle to knock off a few thousandths, easy peasy quick work.

Worst case you’re talking about taking an angle grinder to the sides of the paddle to knock off a few thousandths, easy peasy quick work.
Yeah it doesn’t have to be perfect, we are not trying to put huge torque numbers on it.

Anyone know if the short action customs heads will work with a standard 3/8 socket extension or do you have to buy theirs?

Just emailed Zermatt they said my order is due for fulfillment July, but they are moving faster than expected. So, probably in June. Sorry y’all I wish it would come sooner so I can see what works.

View attachment 7865399So talked to a guy from Rokslide, his Bugholes wrench is tight, no slop. I’ll call PMA on Monday to see what’s up with this. It’s 3cm smaller than the raceway (is that what it’s called?). Checked it in my Bergara B14 action and the same thing.

This wrench from PMA is advertised for Remington 700 actions. Consequently, one is told that a Rem 700 action wrench will work in a bighorn action or most 700 clones. Either this wrench is way off or a regular Remington action is smaller (I don’t have access to one to find out)

What's the scoop on the dimensions? Did they cut this wrong or it's just a lousy fit for a zermatt? I need a solution to remove my barrel from my Bighorn.

Apparently a very loose fit for Zermatt. I sent it back. Short action customs is supposed to have their heads in stock in a couple weeks. I’m going to wait unless something else pops up

The Ebay wrench worked great! No grinding or sanding required. I did have to take the ejector out, which is super easy. Otherwise it fit perfectly, just a touch less slop than the bolt has. I torqued the barrel to 100 ft/lb without any issues. Well worth the $48, and it was to my door in less than a week.

sWpZllnh.jpg

a2e87Uxh.jpg

AfA3T44h.jpg

mgoGWtwh.jpg

The Ebay wrench worked great! No grinding or sanding required. I did have to take the ejector out, which is super easy. Otherwise it fit perfectly, just a touch less slop than the bolt has. I torqued the barrel to 100 ft/lb without any issues. Well worth the $48, and it was to my door in less than a week.

sWpZllnh.jpg

a2e87Uxh.jpg

AfA3T44h.jpg

mgoGWtwh.jpg
Awesome, I’m glad I have one.

Hopefully this will help others that need a wrench but don’t want to wait or pay the higher price.

Are there disassembly instructions for the Zermatt TL3 SA?
I haven't found any.
Strangely, no videos either.
?

Last edited:
I just use my bugholes 700 inside wrench on my origin, works great.

sdeadeye, thanks for the report, that’s great news. Looks like a perfect fit. I think I’ll go that route as well. I wonder how feasible it is to cut in a slot for the ejector? Anyways, nice set up!

sdeadeye, thanks for the report, that’s great news. Looks like a perfect fit. I think I’ll go that route as well. I wonder how feasible it is to cut in a slot for the ejector? Anyways, nice set up!

I don't think it would be too bad to cut a groove with a thin cutoff wheel on a dremel or angle grinder...if you can run it in a straight line. Or stick it in a mill and machine a slot. But at least on the Origin action, it took maybe a minute to pull the screw and ejector out and about the same to put it back in when I was done.

7C470D2E-1775-4D3A-AA58-C5F98B6F96F5.jpeg
001C21B8-C0AC-4B84-BC81-214E022B30D7.jpeg
Bought the action wrench you guys got off of eBay and it came today. Worked out pretty good. I thought it was a little tight, it did slide in but there’s almost no play at all. Pretty much a perfect fit. I may try to hit it with a belt sander on the sides real quick to make it a little easier to slide in. 3/8 socket extension clicks in real nice, it has the detents for the ball bearing, also a perfect fit.
Also got the PMA barrel vise. The channel is more of a v shape than circular. Those with the Viper vise, is the channel more rounded?

Edit: btw, the Airheads in the background came with my package from Snyder precision. My kids saw it and completely didn’t see the rifle, only the candy

Last edited:
Reactions: buggz and SDeadeye
Also got the PMA barrel vise. The channel is more of a v shape than circular. Those with the Viper vise, is the channel more rounded?
The viper is more rounded, yes, but it’s not completely circular and does press more on the edges than the entire surface. My business card barrel wraps come out with 4 distinct contact points just as your more angular vice opening would impart.

Yep I agree with the viper barrel fit. Unless your barrel contour is pretty skinny it grabs on 4 spots.

The viper is more rounded, yes, but it’s not completely circular and does press more on the edges than the entire surface. My business card barrel wraps come out with 4 distinct contact points just as your more angular vice opening would impart.
That’s how’s mine is. I used drywall tape and it left 4 distinct lines/marks from the points of contact. I guess that’s ok? I was looking at a bushing style vise on eBay that looked pretty good, comes with 5 different bushings. Probably overkill but it looks solid

That’s how’s mine is. I used drywall tape and it left 4 distinct lines/marks from the points of contact. I guess that’s ok? I was looking at a bushing style vise on eBay that looked pretty good, comes with 5 different bushings. Probably overkill but it looks solid
It kinda elludes to only one is with sale?
Uncertain...

1/2" OD ALUMINUM BUSHINGS 1" 1.150" 1.20" 1.250" and ONE BUSHING OF YOUR CHOICE

It kinda elludes to only one is with sale?
Uncertain...

1/2" OD ALUMINUM BUSHINGS 1" 1.150" 1.20" 1.250" and ONE BUSHING OF YOUR CHOICE
That’s what I thought at first, but he lists 4 sizes that are included standard and you get to choose one more for the fifth

Reactions: buggz
Has anyone used the ebay vice?
Wondering if I should get this, or something better for a little more?

vt-logo.svg
In hindsight, I think I would have gotten that eBay vise. I’ve seen good reviews for it and it seems to be a better fit for all kinds of barrel work, not just prefits. That’s just an opinion as I’ve never used it, probably not helpful, I’d like to hear others opinions on it also. May end up getting one regardless. My PMA vise scratched up my barrel a little from the edges which I had to file down. Wasn’t too happy about that but I was able to buff it out a little with some steel wool

I think most people don’t put enough torque on the bolts, I’m guilty of that myself. Afraid that the barrel will be crushed, which probably is not likely.

I put hockey tape on the inside of my viper vice for some extra grip. Leather would work as well.

I find the hockey tape coupled with proper torque on the bolts has no issues with torquing/untorquing 100-120 ft-lb barrels.

Short Action Customs has their Model 7 head in stock, looks like they're going fast. If you need one for the Origin, I believe this will work with any 3/8 socket extension if you don't want to spring for their wrench body

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions on this for me?

1: What is the nut size on the Zermatt Action Wrench? and can I use a 3/8" torque wrench or is a 1/2" needed / best practice?

The one that Zermatt sells? If so I have no clue because I don’t have it. The eBay deal uses a typical 3/8” socket extension. As long as the torque wrench will torque to the value you are looking for it doesn’t matter if it’s 1/2” or 3/8”. I do believe the longer the extension the more torque you put in without clicking the wrench. I’ve have stripped head bolts in the past using the correct torque but long extension. It’s a barrel I feel you don’t need to wrench on it super hard. Hope that helps.

The one that Zermatt sells? If so I have no clue because I don’t have it. The eBay deal uses a typical 3/8” socket extension. As long as the torque wrench will torque to the value you are looking for it doesn’t matter if it’s 1/2” or 3/8”. I do believe the longer the extension the more torque you put in without clicking the wrench. I’ve have stripped head bolts in the past using the correct torque but long extension. It’s a barrel I feel you don’t need to wrench on it super hard. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply. Never changed a barrel out before but it’s time to learn so just getting stuff squared away until I het the barrel in.

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions on this for me?

1: What is the nut size on the Zermatt Action Wrench? and can I use a 3/8" torque wrench or is a 1/2" needed / best practice?
The Zermatt wrench takes a 7/8” socket. Torque wrench will be whatever matches your socket drive. Got 3/8” use that, got 1/2” use that. Both drive sizes are available well in excess of the torque needed for a barrel.

Reactions: Droptinetrader
View attachment 7865399So talked to a guy from Rokslide, his Bugholes wrench is tight, no slop. I’ll call PMA on Monday to see what’s up with this. It’s 3cm smaller than the raceway (is that what it’s called?). Checked it in my Bergara B14 action and the same thing.

This wrench from PMA is advertised for Remington 700 actions. Consequently, one is told that a Rem 700 action wrench will work in a bighorn action or most 700 clones. Either this wrench is way off or a regular Remington action is smaller (I don’t have access to one to find out)
Did PMA eventually answer you why? I think usually the wrench width is made to match the bolt head diameter. I'm thinking to purchase a wrench from PMA but your post concerns me a bit.

Did PMA eventually answer you why? I think usually the wrench width is made to match the bolt head diameter. I'm thinking to purchase a wrench from PMA but your post concerns me a bit.
Being about 2 years ago I don’t remember the exact conversation I had with them but I ended up returning it as that’s just the way they made them. At the time they didn’t have an origin bolt head to reference but they may have fixed that since then. Give them a call. If it’s the same specs as when I bought it there’s no way I’d use it on a Zermatt action. I have the bugholes wrench and it’s perfect