• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zero Compromise 420......best all do all optic on market??

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, I’ve spent most of today finger banging another members 420 mpct2 most of the day. (Don’t look at it with a black light)

Gonna gloss over some of this as the design is extemely close to the 527.

Glass - alpha glass. Nuff said. It’s awesome. Today was bright sunlight. So I can’t tell you how it holds up to the 56mm of the 527 in low light. I’m sure it’s fine

Size - there are pics on another thread next to a k318i. It does look a bit more forgiving in the mounting room compared to a 318i. But I don’t have one here to compare.

Of course it’s a super short and it’s definitely short

Weight - not a brick, but definitely not an ultra light

Eyebox - as good or better than the 527. Seems to be a really forgiving eye box (of course it could just seem badass because it won’t go past 20x)

Turrets - holy shit. They got it right big time. Zcomp has been refining the turret feel since inception. They have absolutely gotten it right. As good or better than the windage turrets that have been getting good feedback.

The lock slides up and down with the perfect amount of tension.

It’s a sample size of one, but if this is indicative of where zcomp is with the current turret feel on all scopes........fucking stop now. You nailed it.

Summary:

This optic can do it all. Has 4x (no tunneling that I saw) for hunting. And 20x that is plenty for reaching out to 1k+.

It’s short though that it can be used in short barreled bullpup rifles without being too close to the muzzle blast.

It’s also short enough to look good in a gas gun or be short enough for NVG attachments when you have limited rail space in front.

And it’s a tank with the 36mm tube.

There’s two ways to look at this:

Why buy a 420 for only $100 less than a 527. You only give up 1x on low end and you gain 7x.

Why spend the extra $100 for the 527 just to get 7x when the 420 does everyone else in a shorter package?

The answer depends on your intended use and IMO, overall budget.

Can only afford a single Alpha scope and you might want it to pull double or triple duty on a gas gun, bolt gun, and 22?

Buy a 420

Only going on a bolt or precision gas gun and have zero need for the short optic??

Go 527.

Just like it’s big brother, it’s defintely worth the extra $6-900 more than the equivalent kahles. No questioning that it’s better.

It’s shorter than the Schmidt ultra short, has better ergonomics, and better reticle (personal opinion). So I would choose the zcomp over the Schmidt as well.

Bottom line:

This is a compact option that punches like a full size.

My advice, buy a 527 and a 420.

Sorry for not a insanely long review. But it’s basically a mini me of the 527 which, I’m my opinion, the best optic on the market when you compare it dollar for dollar amongst its peers.

What about my hurt feelings bc I have a kahles.... jk I’m sure it’s a primo tool!!!

Here’s a pic of my Kahles k525i when I picked up my first zcomp and compared them:

Just never cared full the pull up and turn style of turret. Could not stand it on the razors enough to where I sold them a few years ago. If it had a locking collar independently like the USO B series I would have already bought one.

Just a personal preference thing.

Is it stiff enough in the unlocked position to where it has to be forced down to lock? If that tension is very light, it would bother me no doubt.

Never had hands on one. For knowing it has a turret style I haven't cared for in the past, I would not spend the money at this point.

Last edited:
    Reactions: trophyhunter
    What's the advantage of a short scope on a long range rifle?

What's the advantage of a short scope on a long range rifle?

Main advantage would be for something like a desert tech with a short barrel. Keeps the muzzle blast away from the glass.

Other uses would be if you are running a clip on in front and have limited rail space.

Other than that, it’s mainly aesthetics.

How's the CA on this shortie?

That’s one I’ll have to leave up to someone else. As I’m not a fair opinion.

I shipped the optic and also, I don’t really notice CA on any optic unless I’m really looking for it.

I perfectly happy that I don’t naturally see it. ?

Thanks for positively contributing to the thread.

Pro tip: you can spend your money without letting us know what you spend it on. No permission needed

He can also spend his money with letting us know what he spent it on? Freedom of speech and stuff.

And I can say what I said.

Want to keep going in circles?

@Dthomas3523 I meant well when I left my comment, I dont know how you manage to take it in a bad way. maybe I should have elaborated better. See slim
    See I'm just like you in a way
    I never knew my father neither
    He used to always cheat on my mom and beat her
    I can relate to what you're saying in your posts
    So when I have a shitty day, I drift away and read em
    'Cause I don't really got shit else so that shit helps when I'm depressed
    I even got a tattoo of your name across the chest.

Reactions: Poorboyr
    @Dthomas3523 I meant well when I left my comment, I dont know how you manage to take it in a bad way. maybe I should have elaborated better. See slim
    See I'm just like you in a way
    I never knew my father neither
    He used to always cheat on my mom and beat her
    I can relate to what you're saying in your posts
    So when I have a shitty day, I drift away and read em
    'Cause I don't really got shit else so that shit helps when I'm depressed
    I even got a tattoo of your name across the chest.

You came in and shit on a thread.

Don’t try to play it off. Go fuck yourself.

Main advantage would be for something like a desert tech with a short barrel. Keeps the muzzle blast away from the glass.

Other uses would be if you are running a clip on in front and have limited rail space.

Does the 4-20 have more lenses than the 5-27? Weird question I know. I heard that the shorter scopes sometimes have more, which makes it harder to make them optically as nice as the longer scopes.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    Haven’t seen it mentioned but how was the parallax? Set and forget like TT or a bit more finicky?

Haven’t seen it mentioned but how was the parallax? Set and forget like TT or a bit more finicky?

I didn’t test the parallax on the 420 as I didn’t have a ton of time.

My 527’s are close to set and forget. Mainly use it as a “focus” knob. I think the TT might be slightly better on parallax. But it’s close

I was going to get a S&B 3-20 Ultra Short but opted to go with the ZC420 instead. This makes me glad I decided to wait. Thanks for the info @Dthomas3523 .

I think you’ll be very happy with the 420.

My needs are better suited by the 527. But a 420 may be a permanent fixture for me once I get another gas gun.

Glad to hear they've improved the turrets. Sounds like a swee tlittle package. Although, I don't think this would be a great match for the MDR (I own one) given it's like a 1-1.5 moa gun at best with like a 8 lb non-replaceable trigger...but that's another conversation haha. Also, I'd venture to guess most guys running a MDR or other 16" 308 bullpup are using cans so it's a non issue with muzzle blast. This scope would be badass with a clip-on though if you've got $10k to blow!

How would you compare the eyebox on it to some other scopes at 15-20x?

Glad to hear they've improved the turrets. Sounds like a swee tlittle package. Although, I don't think this would be a great match for the MDR (I own one) given it's like a 1-1.5 moa gun at best with like a 8 lb non-replaceable trigger...but that's another conversation haha. Also, I'd venture to guess most guys running a MDR or other 16" 308 bullpup are using cans so it's a non issue with muzzle blast. This scope would be badass with a clip-on though if you've got $10k to blow!

How would you compare the eyebox on it to some other scopes at 15-20x?

I’m really bad with eybox comparisons. I don’t have much of an issue with most any optic priced above $1500 or so. The only optic that was finicky for me was the atacr 7-35 when at 35x and I’m assuming that’s just a product of high magnification.

That being said, to me, it *seems* better than most I’ve messed with. It’s comparable to the zco 527 at 15-20x, which imo is a sweet spot for that optic.

Agreed my 7-35 is super picky past like 27x. I agree the high mag is part of it but at 25x it's still noticeably tighter than say a schmidt or gen 2 razor. Was just wondering as I find it to be a pretty important quality for a PRS scope with my style of shooting. The 5-27 seemed to have a decent enough eyebox from the time I've spent with it so that's good to hear the 4-20 is similar.