• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zero problem / PH zero stop issue?

KeithR41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    I zeroed my PH 5-25 on my .308 with a 20 MOA base. Today I tried to zero the same scope and rings on my .260 with a 20 MOA base but the scope was bottomed out. Both rifles are Rem 700's. I shot 2.5 mil high at 100 yds and couldn't go lower.

Am I retarded and missing something obvious?

Started playing with my zero stop and noticed I now can't change it. I've ran the dial all over the place and tried to set the stop but it always goes back to .5 below the original zero? Hmmmmm....?

Re: Zero problem

is the zero stop set where it was from the factory??? when you get it new, if the zero stop hasn't been moved you can only dial up, that is ccw on the turret. you may have to back off the zero stop to go down.

Tried that but can't seem to get it to go any lower. I can live with my scope being bottomed out, I'll just switch to a 0 cant base. I'm just wondering why there is that much difference between two rifles with the same platform. The only difference is the base, the .308 has a Seekins and the .260 has a Badger.

This is snipers hide. No one here has less than a 1000 yd zero. Lol. Wish I could help

Anyone here have this problem with a PH. Seems rather simple but what am I doing wrong?

I just watched Mike's video on the PH turrets and tried it again. Same thing. Maybe it's bad. I've got a PM in to Paul so we'll see what happens.

Tried that. Still didn't work. I have 22.5 mil up travel which should put me right at the bottom. However, I still can't adjust the zero stop to anything other than where it's set right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a fix sent it to you
    </div></div>
    Can you send me the fix as well? would like to know in case this happens to me.

I have 2 premier scopes and If I understand you correctly, You need to pop up your Turret lever right now at your current zero
    ,turn the turret up about 4 mil then pop the lever back
    Down, This will let you go 4 mil lower than your original zero on the
    Old rifle,then set up your new zero as needed.

Not all bases are a true 20 moa.

Nope. Still stops .5 mil below that which is why I'm wondering if the zero stop is FUBAR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope. Still stops .5 mil below that which is why I'm wondering if the zero stop is FUBAR.</div></div> It is a scope problem!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope. Still stops .5 mil below that which is why I'm wondering if the zero stop is FUBAR. </div></div>
    Sorry to hear that....I hope the process of getting it fixed goes fast for you.

I wish I was not on a phone.

With the cam lever popped up,does the turret turn up and then
    Stop when you turn it back down

With the lever up,Turn
    The turret up to 5 mil and
    Then put the lever back down.
    Now see if the turret will go down
    To your Zero stop.

Been there done that. No dice. I also just noticed part of an o-ring sticking out under the turret. Pretty sure my zero stop is fucked.

Guess I'll send it off tomorrow.

Re: Zero problem / PH zero stop issue?

KeithR41,

I'm not sure I understand your problem correctly, but if you're trying to "adjust" the zero stop so the turret stops at some other setting, forget it, that's not how the turrets are designed, it is a very simple design that you can't fuck up, but you need to know how to use it. The turret stops turning ~0.5mils below zero. That is a "hard stop" that is NOT adjustable. It's called a zero stop because it stops below zero, it doesn't need to stop at any other place.

Now you are saying that you have 22.5 mils of UP adjustment, so that's telling me that you should have ~7.5 mils of DOWN adjustment left, because overall elevation adjustment is ~30 mils.

When you've put the scope on the rifle and you are hitting the zero stop, but you are still shooting 2.5 mils too high at your desired zero distance, do this: <span style="font-weight: bold">Open the lever lock</span>, unscrew it half a turn and pull the turret cap up (this is just to make sure the cap is detached from the adjustment mechanism, it will only move up a fraction of an inch, you do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> have to remove the cap). Now <span style="font-weight: bold">turn the cap to the 2.5 mil setting</span>, away from the zero stop (it will still click, but won't adjust with the leverlock opened). <span style="font-weight: bold">Close the lever lock</span> (tighten clockwise until it requires firm pressure to push down with your thumb). Now you can <span style="font-weight: bold">turn the knob back to the zero setting</span>, and you'll be zeroed at your desired distance.

It's really very easy to understand when you look at it this way: Y<span style="font-weight: bold">ou are shooting 2.5m mils high</span> on paper, what do you do? <span style="font-weight: bold">Set your elevation knob to "2.5 mils high"!</span> Now your knob setting matches your POI, and the zero setting on the knob will match your zero on target.

Now if I've managed to confuse you even more, give Paul at Premier a call, he'll be happy to walk you through the process.
    smile.gif

if the o-ring is showing the cap must not be all the way down. if you haven't sent it off yet try to call paul and talk to him. don't try to push it down. did you lift the lever and unscrewit som and pull up on the cap??? if you did it was pulled up too much and it is not going back in to place. don't try and push it down or damage WILL occure. don't ask how I know this. paul will be more than willing to help!! lots of luck ken

Spoke with Paul this morning and all is GTG. Once again, PH comes through.

We got it taken care of. Sometimes it just helps to talk it through and things become clear.
    For all those that want to know- basically David's fix was it, although I had Keith go 3 mils high just to make sure he had enough and then he knows how to set the knob back to zero- kinda a practice session.
    Our zero stop is not adjustable it is a hard fixed stop designed into the turrets and as he said you can't "f**k it up".

The tooless rezero feature however takes a little practice.

You guys know how to get in touch with me, I'll hook you up.

Thanks,
    Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We got it taken care of. Sometimes it just helps to talk it through and things become clear.
    For all those that want to know- basically David's fix was it, although I had Keith go 3 mils high just to make sure he had enough and then he knows how to set the knob back to zero- kinda a practice session.
    Our zero stop is not adjustable it is a hard fixed stop designed into the turrets and as he said <span style="font-weight: bold">you can't "f**k it up</span>".

The tooless rezero feature however takes a little practice.

You guys know how to get in touch with me, I'll hook you up.

Thanks,
    Paul </div></div>

That sounded like a challenge...

ILya

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Easy there Ilya....LOL.....should I have said "with normal use"?
    Really though, 2 hardened steel dowel pins make a pretty strong zero stop.
    Paul </div></div>

No worries. I am just messing with you. I promise that I will not use excessive force when I test your next scope (definitely not in front of witnesses).

ILya