• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Zero stops for SWFA Super Sniper Scopes

Any word back on whether SWFA has given their thumbs up on these yet? I really want a set, but don't want to void my warranty.

My recent conversation with them on the phone indicated that they would not void the warranty. They had not torture tested a scope yet, and nothing is in writing. I would say it is a safe bet, but we should have that definite answer very soon.

My recent conversation with them on the phone indicated that they would not void the warranty. They had not torture tested a scope yet, and nothing is in writing. I would say it is a safe bet, but we should have that definite answer very soon.

Thanks for the info.

Any news if these will be available for the Sightron S3?

I just mailed a set to a fellow forum member for testing. He should receive them Monday. I will keep you guys posted on our findings.
--------------------------------------
Regarding the Leupold Mark IV that was asked about earlier. I will not be producing anything for this scope. It has what appears to be a quite fragile turret, and I don't want to go down that path.

I made a similar setup with stacked steel shims for my leupold mark 4, I had problems with that scope not returning to zero and I have a theory as to why. those stems that you are turning exert pressure on the erector tube. so by putting a shim stack under the knob then your are exerting up pressure on the adjusting stem more so than the scope was designed for each time you turn back to your zero and feel the turret start to bind against the shims. now we all know don't crank it and bind the shims like a gorilla, ok I get that. I am just saying I had trouble with this particular mark 4 returning to zero after you cranked the turret up and down a few times. The scope had even been sent back to leupold the problem was still the same. could have been a back scope who knows. my advice dial the scope up a full turn then back against the shims 10 times and see if your zero is exactly the same verify this by shooting the rifle. if it is you have just made the super sniper scopes awesome.

We have had great repeat-ability with the SWFA scopes. They are way more robust than the Leupold scopes internally.

Thank you for reporting your observations. Those were the feelings I got just taking the Leupold turret to the bottom of its travel.

Any MOA shims yet, for fixed power SS? I'm drooling here.

I will get my hands on an MOA scope tomorrow for final measurement verification.
I'll let everyone know what we find out as soon as I get home.
Internally they measure the same, but I believe the thicknesses are going to be different.
Jared

Just got my shims...I won't be able to use them until my barrel arrives in Feb 14.

Simple design and I'm looking forward to using them.

I got an MOA scope in my hands today. The shims will be different for these as well, but shouldn't be any real issues. I will be getting a set to a tester to verify their function. We are taking a week off for the holidays, and then will hit it hard as soon as we get back. Thanks again everyone for all of the interest.
Jared

Nice, it's good Chris OKed it. I should be getting my shims soon. Any ETAs yet? Did you send them all out this past Wednesday.

Bought 2 sets, funds sent by paypal. I take it no risk of less engagement between turret and spindle, no risk of set screw not having plenty of space to grab?

Guys,
Got my 3 shim sets....the shims are numbered(thickest to thinnest)....2,1,+1, +1/2,+1/4. This is not what you detail in the video. Did I get the wrong sets? I ordered shim sets for SS fixed MRAD scopes(n I have 2ea-10x and 1ea-12x).

I went ahead and installed a set, and my scope had 20.1 mils of downward travel from zero. I installed a "1" and a "+1", and now I have 1.3 mils of downward travel. Just wanting to see if I'm doing this right before installing the other sets.

Merry Xmas!

Will

Will,

You got the correct shims, we just changed the way they are marked. Based on your description, it sounds like you did it just right.

We will update that video to reflect the very slight redesign when Jared gets back.

Tim

Guys,
Got my 3 shim sets....the shims are numbered(thickest to thinnest)....2,1,+1, +1/2,+1/4. This is not what you detail in the video. Did I get the wrong sets? I ordered shim sets for SS fixed MRAD scopes(n I have 2ea-10x and 1ea-12x).

I went ahead and installed a set, and my scope had 20.1 mils of downward travel from zero. I installed a "1" and a "+1", and now I have 1.3 mils of downward travel. Just wanting to see if I'm doing this right before installing the other sets.

Merry Xmas!

Will

Will,

You did in fact get the correct sets. As Tim stated, when I get back into town we will clarify the production sets with a new video.

The shims marked 2 and 1 are the deadspace in the cap plus two or one revolution(s). The +1, +1/2, +1/4, are to tune the zero stop to a finer degree. In your setup having the +1 and 1 stacked is equivalent to just the 2 shim. The +1 is for the rare case in needing a three revolution zero stop, in which you would combine the 2 and +1. We found that making a 3 was redundant within the set.

Hope that clears things up a bit for everyone.

Skullybones was kind enough to send me a set to try out on my Sightron SIII 6-24 Mil-Hash FFP. The set he sent me were designed for the SS so the thickness markings were off since the travel on the SS and the Sightron Mil are different. The 1/4 shims took up about 1/3 of a revolution of the SS. Other than that, the shims worked perfectly and I was able to get the turrets to stop 1 click below zero. Skully said he would adjust the shim thickness for SIII orders, so I would not hesitate to give everyone two thumbs-up for using the shims on Sightron models like mine. Here is a picture of the shims on my scope.

20131224_132826_zpsv3mhxvtc.jpg

Ok I am having trouble with mine. Is the shim supposed to fit down over the raised circular center of the inside of the turret? I have just over three revs from zero until its bottomed out. I can't even get the turret back on the scope with the 3 rev shim.

If it is supposed to go down over the center portion I can trim it with a dremel tool. I just want to make sure before I go hacking away at the shims.

Scope is a 3-15x42

Here is the inside of the turret with no shim.

6xfs.jpg

Here is the inside of the turret with a shim that will not fit around the center portion.

svkh.jpg

Thanks

Ok I am having trouble with mine. Is the shim supposed to fit down over the raised circular center of the inside of the turret? I have just over three revs from zero until its bottomed out. I can't even get the turret back on the scope with the 3 rev shim.

If it is supposed to go down over the center portion I can trim it with a dremel tool. I just want to make sure before I go hacking away at the shims.

Scope is a 3-15x42

Here is the inside of the turret with no shim.

6xfs.jpg

Here is the inside of the turret with a shim that will not fit around the center portion.

svkh.jpg

Thanks

There must have been a change at some point with the ID portion of the turret caps. Clearing the material will not harm the shims at all. Sorry for the inconvenience with this set, and feel free to PM me if you need any assistance. I will add even more clearance to all future sets.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. All of the shims in the set will not fit over this bossed section?
Thank you,
Jared

Yes all the shims in the set are the same. It's no problem thanks for the clarification.

Skullybones was kind enough to send me a set to try out on my Sightron SIII 6-24 Mil-Hash FFP. The set he sent me were designed for the SS so the thickness markings were off since the travel on the SS and the Sightron Mil are different. The 1/4 shims took up about 1/3 of a revolution of the SS. Other than that, the shims worked perfectly and I was able to get the turrets to stop 1 click below zero. Skully said he would adjust the shim thickness for SIII orders, so I would not hesitate to give everyone two thumbs-up for using the shims on Sightron models like mine. Here is a picture of the shims on my scope.

View attachment 24943

I also have an SIII 6-24X MH FFP scope. I'd like to place an order when you guys have the shim thickness figured out.

Skully,

Any time line on the SS 3-9 and SS 1-6?

The SS 1-6 is undergoing a testing phase. I am trying to get my hands on a 3-9 locally to take measurements.
-------------------

Just got back into town, so I will start producing the current order of stops this week.
Happy new year everyone!
Jared

Yes, I just need to get a look at one in person. The HD caps bottom differently and make measuring a little trickier. What is the measured difference of one revolution? Inside cap diameter?
Thank you

I just got around to measuring the 3-9x42 scope. The measured difference of one revolution is right at about 0.020" Inside cap diameter is right around 0.900". I hope I am measuring the correct things correctly. I'd be glad to either make a set to be sure it is correct or test a set from you guys. Hope this helps!

Ben

Last edited:
I just got around to measuring the 3-9x42 scope. The measured difference of one revolution is right at about 0.020" Inside cap diameter is right around 0.900". I hope I am measuring the correct things correctly. I'd be glad to either make a set to be sure it is correct or test a set from you guys. Hope this helps!

Ben

That sounds very close to the 1-6 measurements. I'll send you a set of those to see what it looks like. Shoot me a PM to set up shipping.
Thank you for taking the time to measure the scope.
Jared