• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeroing with a 44.4 moa scope base

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re missing the entire point. The entire point is the rifle was perfectly ZEROED. This means the point of aim equals point of impact. I’m now* slanting it an additional 44.4 MOA when all I have left in my scope is 30 MOA.

I will be high at 100 yds - and won’t be able to dial down anymore.

If this doesn’t make sense to you, I suggest learning how this shit actually works.

Point of this thread was to get info from ELR shooters who actually know wtf they’re talking about and what distances they like to zero to.
YOU are missing the point, and there’s a half dozen people in here who can do the simple addition and subtraction to explain it to you, but you don’t want to listen to them, and you haven’t even shot the bloody rifle yet.

Reactions: Taylorbok
When your barrel is pointing up, they fly on upward trajectory. How else do you think you shoot farther distances? At 100 yards, that bullet he’s yet to reach max ordinate.
That rise is because the barrel is angled up and NOT because the bullet defies physics and rises after coming out of the barrel.
YOU are missing the point, and there’s a half dozen people in here who can do the simple addition and subtraction to explain it to you, but you don’t want to listen to them, and you haven’t even shot the bloody rifle yet.
I’m dead certain you don’t understand MOA in the slightest. You thought a 20moa base was angled UP! They’re angled down…….

All of this confusion - on your end - is because you believe a 100 yd zero is achieved at the mid point of the elevation adjustment. Which simply isn’t true.

Reactions: SEPAboltrifle
I never said the bullet rises above the centerline of the barrel and defies physics.
I 100% understand mils and MOA and can do simple math.
20+44.4-(140/2)=-5.6

Last edited:
All of this confusion - on your end - is because you believe a 100 yd zero is achieved at the mid point of the elevation adjustment. Which simply isn’t true.
False, and I’ve stated as much multiple times. Something else you don’t want to listen to.

That rise is because the barrel is angled up and NOT because the bullet defies physics and rises after coming out of the barrel.

I’m dead certain you don’t understand MOA in the slightest. You thought a 20moa base was angled UP! They’re angled down…….
I never said a 20moa base was angled up I said it gives you 20moa of elevation.

I never said the bullet rises above the centerline of the barrel and defies physics.
I 100% understand mils and MOA and can do simple math.
20+44.4-(140/2)=6
That’s flawed mathematics. You’re assuming that the zero point on my rifle is (140/2).

That’s. Not. How. It. Works.

Nope. It's really that simple.

In a perfect world, you should have 6 moa to play with (obviously it will never be perfect, but 6moa is plenty). And you're saying not only do you not have that 6 moa, you are losing another 14moa somehow.

That's not good.
I wonder if his 20 MOA rail is a mis-marked 30 MOA, it would certainly bring all of this closer to alignment math wise.

That’s flawed mathematics. You’re assuming that the zero point on my rifle is (140/2).

That’s. Not. How. It. Works.
No I’m not. I’m calculating the zero point at 5.6moa above bottom.

Last edited:
I wonder if his 20 MOA rail is an mis-marked 30 MOA, it would certainly bring all of this closer to alignment math wise.
Or if his other mount is 20moa and he thinks it’s zero. No mention of that mount’s part number.

To cancel out the inclination of your rail and mount, you need to dial down. Not up. Otherwise what would be the point of adding inclination. It’s to give you more UPWARD elevation.
“Inclination”.

“Adding inclination”.

I wonder if his 20 MOA rail is an mis-marked 30 MOA, it would certainly bring all of this closer to alignment math wise.
The rail is actually 30 MOA. I said 20 earlier but I just checked and it’s 30.

Thus proving me right that I’m going to be high at a hundred.

The rail is actually 30 MOA. I said 20 earlier but I just checked and it’s 30.

Thus proving me right that I’m going to be high at a hundred.
No. It proves you don’t know what you’re talking about.

What the actual fuck are you waiting for?

You’re going to be 4 moa high now that you’re working actual fucking numbers. Not imaginary ones like you started out with. See how math works?

Now you have 74.4 worth of rail and mount, and only 70moa of scope travel. MATH!

So, the 30moa base instead of 20moa means that yes, now you will not be able to zero at 100yds.
I knew this from the start though, because of my entire point being I only had 30 minutes of dialage left and I’m adding a 44.4 moa mount. Rather than just trust me from the beginning it had to turn into a debate, which I’m ultimately still right on I can’t zero at a hundred.

• Haha
I knew this from the start though, because of my entire point being I only had 30 minutes of dialage left and I’m adding a 44.4 moa mount. Rather than just trust me from the beginning it had to turn into a debate, which I’m ultimately still right on I can’t zero at a hundred.
You didn’t know 20 was 30. Stahp it.

Yes, but with the info you gave, the math didn't add up and that's going to have people questioning what's going on.

You can't expect people to "trust me" when you give the incorrect information.

You didn’t know 20 was 30. Stahp it.
Lmao. Yes I had that number wrong. But I’m still right that I can’t zero to a 100 which is why I made the thread asking what others do.

Gtfo unless you actually have something useful to add

Except your repeated puzzlement as to why you couldn't dial any lower. You dialed 10 MOA more than you were accounting for.

You couldn’t figure it out on your own and had to show the internet how little you know about simple arithmetic.

You still may be able to zero at 100. The listed amount of available elevation is a base spec number but some find more elevation available so until you go to the range you won't know for sure.

He found an extra 1.5 moa earlier. Maybe he’ll find ten more. Like with his rail.

IMG_5076.jpeg

You couldn’t figure it out on your own and had to show the internet how little you know about simple arithmetic.
Lmaooooo

I made a mistake and said 20 when it was 30. Intuitively I still knew I couldn’t zero to 100 because I have a lot of practice on the thing.

You’re battling totally by semantics and completely missing the pragmatics of the situation… like a total cunt

You have a few choices for shooting ELR now:

- mark a POA and POI on a target at 100yds that simulates the range you want to zero. Adjust the optic so that you're hitting that POI when using that POA. Say that number is 800yds. You plug 800yds into your calculator as your zero. (there's several ways to go about this).

- Get a less inclined mount, then either hold over or get a prism.

- "zero" at the minim distance you can zero for the same POA/POI. I use the term "zero" loosely as this likely won't stay the same day to day since environmental conditions play a huge role at distance.

Lmaooooo

I made a mistake and said 20 when it was 30. Intuitively I still knew I couldn’t zero to 100 because I have a lot of practice on the thing.

You’re battling totally by semantics and completely missing the pragmatics of the situation… like a total cunt
20 vs 30 is not semantics.

Careful with the math. It’ll get ya.

Yeah, you got the easiest part wrong, which made everything else wrong. Garbage in is garbage out.

I'm not arguing so I am getting ignored but OP you might want to go read my post above.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
Well where can I get a 94.4 MOA mount?
Not sure what that means but all I was saying is that the 140 moa is not a hard number in stone on how much elevation you have. It's the spec. Until you go to the range and put rounds on target you won't really know for sure if you can zero at 100 with the 74 moa of cant.

Op. Start over. What are you trying to do? Shoot bugs @ 100. Or not run out of elevation at 2 miles? Is your base canted? If so why do you need more? If you are running out of elevation at ELR, if might compromise getting impacts at poa at 100. refocus on your purpose, both your setup and post.
if you can zero at 100, then you could have dialed whatever bozo range you are trying to reach with your luda cant mount.

Reactions: CEO10KaDAY
You have a few choices for shooting ELR now:

- mark a POA and POI on a target at 100yds that simulates the range you want to zero. Adjust the optic so that you're hitting that POI when using that POA. Say that number is 800yds. You plug 800yds into your calculator as your zero. (there's several ways to go about this).

- Get a less inclined mount, then either hold over or get a prism.

- "zero" at the minim distance you can zero for the same POA/POI. I use the term "zero" loosely as this likely won't stay the same day to day since environmental conditions play a huge role at distance.
Do this before getting a 1.21 giga wat canted base

Op. Start over. What are you trying to do? Shoot bugs @ 100. Or not run out of elevation at 2 miles? Is your base canted? If so why do you need more? If you are running out of elevation at ELR, if might compromise getting impacts at poa at 100. refocus on your purpose, both your setup and post.
if you can zero at 100, then you could have dialed whatever bozo range you are trying to reach with your luda cant mount.

He already has the base. And is planning on shooting ELR.

He's just asking how people go about zero'ing rifles that can't zero at 100yds.

I want to shoot 2 miles

Then I want to shoot 3 miles

I want to shoot as far as possible.

• Haha
It's all pretty simple.

First, you gotta get off the phone/ computer and shoot the damn rifle.

Let's choose 100yds.

Dial the scope down and come up a few clicks (maybe 3MOA) so it's not sitting on the bottom of its travel.

Stick up a target.

Shoot the target and get your windage correct.

Shoot again to verify.

Measure how high you are at 100.

Enter that number in your ballistic app.

Now, play with that app and you'll know at what yardage you are zeroed.

Set your zero stop.

Get back on the internet and tell everyone how dumb they are again because they couldn't figure out how to zero a long range use rifle.

I want to shoot 2 miles

Then I want to shoot 3 miles

I want to shoot as far as possible.
You’re going to need a Charlie Tarac and a bigger rifle if you plan on that. Especially if that 100 yard zero is important to you

Reactions: Nagol.ekim
Status
Not open for further replies.