• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeroing with two different loads......

Jager66

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Northern VA & Northern Italy
I am trying to find two different loads that can shoot the same path, but finding this task quite difficult.
Caliber is a .222 Rem and I would like to set a Varmint bullet (50/55 grs) along with a Fmj of the same weight.
I have tried several loads/bullets, but so far no much luck......
Tested Ballistic Tip 50-55 and A-Max 52 on the varmint side and Lapua & Hornady 55 as Fmj.
The latter always shoot higher, at least 1,5-2 inches at 100 meter, with the same scope settings.
Are there any tricks to "bring down" or "raise" the path of a bullet, apart from the load weight ?
Tried to work on Oal with no luck so far...
Thanks for your help.
J

Inviato dal mio GS 1150

Dude... Why?

Why not just keep a record of where each is hitting in relation to your scope settings and dial up or down according to what load your using.

I am not using a tactical scope with this rifle, so I do not want to mess with clicks.

I know it can be done, just asking whether there are proven formulas :p

Inviato dal mio GS 1150

Velocity differences in the two loads?

I wonder if your barrel harmonics are throwing your FMJ loads. Have you tried a 200 yd. zero to check the difference? Different loads will change POI, and that is just something you will have to live with. Or stop shooting FMJs and only shoot the varmint loads. Or like the above poster stated, record dopes and adjust or hold accordingly.

My .223 shoots my 50 gr. V-Max @ 3400fps and my 69 gr. SMKs @ 3033fps at the same POI at 100 yds. At 200 yds., the 69 SMKs start to show a bit more drop, and at distance the difference is notable. I just use a ballistics program to dial in my dope depending on what I am shooting. 50 V-Maxes for varmint/small game hunting, the 69 SMKs for larger game and steel.

Actually, there is a difference in velocity, in favour of the lower shooting bullets though....
I think the Fmj's have a V/0 of around 3000, while the 50 Bt are launched at about 3200 (20" barrel)....
Could it be the "recoiling" factor ? :rolleyes:

Inviato dal mio GS 1150

Maybe the gun just isn't capable of that kind of consistency? I run 140 bthp's @ 2800, 139 scenars @ 2840, and 120 amax's @ 2915 out of my custom savage with a CBI barrel and all have the same POI at 100 and very close at 200... After that they start to separate due to the velocities/BCs

Not to say you are wrong, just working harder than you need to. If you have a quality scope with repeatable adjustments High Binder's ideas works, I have done this with .308 loads for years. I also have a 55 grain load for .223 that shoots Hornady FMJ, SP, and Vmax at least MOA out of both of my AR -15's but I found this by accident when doing load developtment with different powders. If you are using the same powder, same bullet manufacturer, and the same load you should get very close?