• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Zeroing

YJSONLY

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2014
North Florida
Ok so I have always zeroed my hunting rifles at 200 but they are fixed scopes.

I have a 223 that will have a Vortex Viper Hs 4-16 on. I read over the book that came with it. But what zero point do I need to do 100 or 200? This is my first long range so don't laugh! Lol

100 yards is fine. Otherwise if you have to shoot at something less than 200 yards, you have to hold under.

For hunting, I would use a Maximum Point Blank Range zero.

This is where you set an allowable vertical spread and when properly zeroed, the round will impact no more than than high or low out to some particular range.

For my .308 load (175 gr at 2600 fps) and a +/- 5" tolerance, you would zero for 275 yards, and the bullet will impact no more than 5" above of below the point of aim out to 323 yards. You can also sight in the rifle at 100 or 200 yards by setting the scope to hit 4.1 inches high at 100 or 4.3 inches high at 200.

JBM will do the calculations for you (don't forget to the check the Maximum Point Blank range box near the bottom) - JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Depends what you want to do with it.

For hunting, I would go with a 50/200 zero. From 0-250 yards, you will never be more than a few inches high or low.

If you want to make it a target shooter, then zero at 100.

JMO.

I have a 223 that will have a Vortex Viper Hs 4-16 on. I read over the book that came with it. But what zero point do I need to do 100 or 200? This is my first long range so don't laugh! Lol

What reticle? If you have a BDC type you will want to zero for 100 yards. Other than a BDC consider if a battle sight zero would get the job done.

Depends what you want to do with it.

For hunting, I would go with a 50/200 zero. From 0-250 yards, you will never be more than a few inches high or low.

If you want to make it a target shooter, then zero at 100.

JMO.

Ok I am wanting to do a little of both. I would say manly paper puncher. And the occasion of a coyote hunt I could always adjust dope to 200 "zero" or hold over too.

I am going to use this 223 as a practice for my father in law 338 and .50. Much cheaper and would like to improve as a shooter too.

Ok I am wanting to do a little of both. I would say manly paper puncher. And the occasion of a coyote hunt I could always adjust dope to 200 "zero" or hold over too.

I am going to use this 223 as a practice for my father in law 338 and .50. Much cheaper and would like to improve as a shooter too.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

If you're planing to use the AR as a long range / DMR setup then I would zero at 200yd
Holding or dialin' at 100, running mk262 in my rifle is -0.5mil or -1.7 moa
All your other hardware is zeroed at 200 why change what you're accustom to?