• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ZF41 Duv41 rebuild???

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
I've got a ZF41. Bolt doesn't match the rifle but matches itself. Don't have scope and mount at this time. The mount on the gun is a early flat rail type mount.

The barrel is completely junk. Virtually no rifling left in it due to corrosion etc....the finish on the metal is completly gone but the metal isn't pitted on the outside of the gun at all.

The questions is this. What are your thoughts about putting a new barrel on the gun and rebuilding it? Would you do it if it was yours?

How much value do you think the gun has with a junk barrel on it? I know rebuilding it won't add any value but would be a nice shooter.

Thanks, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Re: ZF41 Duv41 rebuild???

Its worth more in its present condition than if you rebarrel it. I have one sans scope/mount, and it doesnt have a matching bolt, but I would never rebarrel it or reblue it. At some point, I will get a similar condition scope, stick it on there, and call it a day. it is what it is, an original nonmatching zf41, but at least its got all original parts and blue..whats left of it.

John

I understand it would be worth less money. I guess what I'm asking is by how much?

What is it worth now?

What is it worth later?

I see prices for these things all over the map. What's a realistic value of the gun as it is now?

Thanks, Frank

Frank, it's kind of one of those- it's worth what someone would be willing to give you for it scenarios. If you never plan on selling it, I would make it shoot again myself. I wouldn't alter it in any other way, but it's up to you, maybe you want it as a historical wall hanger.
Curious as to your decision.

I would rebuild the gun with a brand new barrel and keep the gun faithful to the contour etc...so it all looks the same.

I'll also be keeping the gun and not selling it.

If the gun/barrel was in better condition and more collectible etc... I wouldn't do it. I'm a collector as well but I'm also a shooter.

I'm not into hacking things up. Once the gun is rebuilt and refinished etc...other than loosing the markings on the outside breech end of the barrel you won't be able to tell the difference. The rear sight scope base etc...will all be reinstalled.

I took a BNZ41 that was a Russian rebuild/import. It had no collector value at all. I made a new barrel for it and chambered it in 8kurz. Installed a set of low turret scope mounts. Shortened the magazine follower, put a filler in the magazine box and got a Rem.700 .223 magazine spring. Gun shoots like a million bucks with no recoil. If the kids want to shoot it they can shoot it all day long.

Later, Frank

Looking forward to seeing your progress, keep us updated!