• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ziess 6-24x56 Diavari Elevation?? How are they?

Re: Ziess 6-24x56 Diavari Elevation?? How are they?

Absolutely a beautiful scope. Prices have gone up quite a bit since I bought mine. But with a Mildot reticle (SFP) and .5cm clicks with plenty of elevation and superb glass.

Tracking was perfect. Highly recommended.

I would buy one again in a heartbeat. They are very nice. The only down side was the .5cm clicks. That's a lot of clicks for a 308 to go to 1K from a 100 yard zero. Other than that however it beats many a scope in the same, and higher, price range.

I agree 100% with Mike. I sold mine and went to Schmidt and Bender and still wish I hadn't sold mine. But I know it has a good home with a SH member who uses it for F-Class.

If it's the same as the 6-24x56mm Hensoldt, it has 16 mils (~55 MOA) total (internal) elevation travel. For 308Win with a 100-yard zero and a 20-MOA canted base, you will have a little over 40 MOA of up elevation - enough for 1kyds with a 175SMK@2650fps at sea level. With a 30-MOA canted base you will get a little over 50 MOA of up elevation.

It has a second focal plane reticle that is calibrated at 12x. Another feature is that it has relatively fine clicks -- 0.5 cm at 100m compared to the "usual" 1 cm clicks. The reason for this is that when used at 24x, there will be 10 clicks for each mil dot, which of course are really only 0.5 mil at that magnification.

Nice scope for sure. I don't know how different the Zeiss and Hensoldt versions of this scope are, maybe someone will describe them.

Love them, have two.

For the life of me, I can't see the diff between the Hensoldt and the zeiss in the 6x24. Some people tell me there is a reason for the price diff which is significant. They just don't ever say what the diff is. There is a diff in the 4x16 hensoldt which zeiss does not have out yet but I hear they are making one to sell. I think there is alot more elevation on the 4x16 hensoldt than on any of the zeiss's. For the money, I think they should have more adjustment up and down since many of the lower priced scopes have tons of adjustment. The 4x16 hensoldt is an exceptional scope that is very impressive. Seems to me though, that the zeiss has just as good as sight picture as any of the hensoldts but that is just me. All that being said the Zeiss is a hell of a scope and if you are not very particular, you can get one from Doug at camera land off of the demo list for alot less than what you would pay retail. Hell, I think you can call Scott at Liberty Optics and he can get you an awesome price on one also.

The Hensoldt may meet some military environmental specifications that the Zeiss doesn't (such as water depth, anti-laser coatings,...), I dunno. I think the 6-24x should have a 34mm tube to give an increase in total elevation adjustment. That might be enough to make it a FFP reticle too, certainly S&B had no problem getting there with the 5-25x and a 34mm tube.

Comparing their online spec sheets, there are slight physical differences in the reticles, lengths, weights, and turret adjustments. The Hensoldt reticle has military rangefinding marks near the bottom, the large stadia are not filled in, and the mil dots are circles with a hole in the middle. It also passes ISO DIN 9022 environmental testing. It may have slightly (~1 MOA) more total elevation travel on paper, but that might not be "real." Finally, the Hensoldt has two levels of numerical markings on the elevation knob.

zeiss6mmbr20001-1.jpg

thespot1512-26-090001.jpg

thespot1612-26-090001.jpg

shooter65, please tell me about the windage knob -- it looks like it has no numerical markings, just tic marks. If so, then does the knob have a zero stop? Also, is there an adjustment to raise and lower the elevation knob so that it reveals the turn indication lines at the correct turn (like the Hensoldt has)?

Reactions: Sassayousefi

It is the orginal knob in the pics. Will post some pics tomorrow of the new one.

If you click on the Kenton link and scroll down to Zeiss you will see the LR hunter. That is the obe I have. No zero stop.

I see the Kenton knob has BDC markings only. Regarding the zero stop, I was asking about the windage control. With no numerical markings on the windage and no zero stop, I would think there would be a good chance of getting "lost."

Jack the Zeiss has the same adjustment on the elevation knob as the Hensoldt.Under the cap there are 3 lines just not different colors.

Shooter,

What are the BC cover sizes for that scope?
Im tired of the bikini...on my scope.

The upgraded 2010 Zeiss 6-24x56 has FL glass and 1cm clicks. The new glass outperforms any other scope I've seen. Max elevation is 110cm.

The new Zeiss 4-16x50 FL is also a very nice scope. It has 1cm clicks and 165cm elevation range.

These are the European versions.

I had it made to a specific load and velocity for my 6BR. You can see the 2 lines showing in the one picture which is 2 revolutions / 8 mils, and is my 1k yard dope. The numbers are in yards and they are accurate. The windage i did not bother with becaust the max I have ever dialed is 1.5 mils at 1k. I have never had a problem getting "lost" with the windage. For me this set up works just fine and I am very happy with it. Give Kenton a call and talk to them. I am sure they can make you what you want.

As far the BC scope covers I do not know the size as they came with the scope.

kenton10001.jpg

kenton20001.jpg

Kenton also makes windage knobs also.

I've been considering the Zeiss or Hensoldt 6-24x for my next long-range scope and asked a dealer today what the differences were between the two. He passed the question either to Zeiss or to HuDisCo, who replied that the Hensoldt has:

1. A different erector design with more elevation travel.

2. A stiffer "coaxial" erector spring.

3. 8 mils/turn with color-coded indicators.

4. Same lens composition as the Zeiss, but different coatings for increased resistance to abrasion.

5. "Microprocessor" controlled illumination system instead of a rheostat.

Has anyone compared their Zeiss 6-24x to a Premier Heritage or S&B 5-25X? I recall the PH was very impressive in an ad hoc comparison done in Sweden involving Spuhr last November or December. These scopes are big bux and deserve some thought before taking the plunge. Here's a link to the results of the comparison.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...943#Post1495943

What is the intended purpose of the scope?

Long-range shooting. Loooooooong. At steel targets. I'm leaning toward the Premier at this instant.

All I can say it is a hell of a scope and I have had all the other brands. Are these fixed distances you will be shooting at or a tactical match?

My goal is to shoot a reasonable size target at one mile this year, probably with a 6 or 6.5mm bullet. It will happen in the NV desert somewhere. I'm sure I can do it with a scope I already have, but I like optics!

The Zeiss will serve you just fine. Mirage is a bitch on a hot sunny day so a high magnification scope is worthless in my opinion. I just sold a NF 12-42.

I just shot and entire 1k match on 12x due to mirage being so bad.

one mile = 1760 yards . long way for either of those calibers.

what bullet will you be using and what is the velecoity at 1760yds?

I live at 4800' ASL, and that makes it possible. Both bullets (115DTAC/2970fps and 139gr Scenar/2800fps) are still supersonic at 1800 yards at that altitude (the DTAC is going over 1300fps and the Scenar over 1250fps).

What I've forgotten is that I will need up to 19 mils elevation, so a scope with alot of up elevation is the ticket for this.

BTW all,

the "new" since last year FL series of the Diavaria 6-24x56 has ,1 mil adjustments,

also has some 110 cm internal travel @ 100 meters from center, that would be about 11 Mil, ergo with a MOA base of lets say 20 MOA one is way beyond the 1 k mark with even a lousy 308 Win.
Diavaria FL series

IMAGE_912.jpg

I have had one since 2007 and I love it, shooting it side bu side to a PMII P4f and I think that tracking/optics vise they are interchangable,

The PMII has some additional features that I felt required FFP but othervise they are the same in feel and use.

Best regards Chris

or a 25 moa base.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17195/Product/25_MOA_BASE

http://www.freewebs.com/ofpmodders/seekinsprecision.htm

can always use the burris signature rings with the polymer isnserts for additional elevaton. what action is it?

quote=One-Eyed Jack]I live at 4800' ASL, and that makes it possible. Both bullets (115DTAC/2970fps and 139gr Scenar/2800fps) are still supersonic at 1800 yards at that altitude (the DTAC is going over 1300fps and the Scenar over 1250fps).

What I've forgotten is that I will need up to 19 mils elevation, so a scope with alot of up elevation is the ticket for this. [/quote]

For what it's worth.... I have a buddy who I shoot with on occasion and has used S&B and 2 Premier's. Both have failed him and we went back to NF.

Good luck on your choice.

On the older zeiss, I don't think that you have the adjustment capability that you have on the newer ones and or on the 4x16 hensoldt or the others like premier and or s and b. I have lined up the premiers, S&B and hensoldt, have not had the fortune of checking out the new zeiss. At the time, for my money, I went with the premier because I didn't see any diff in the 3 that would justify the much larger cost of the s and b or the hensoldt. That was last yr. I love my premier and am very happy that I got it but with the increase in costs of them, I would definatly have to look at the others and especially the regular zeiss diavari which is nowhere's near the cost of either of the other 3 if you find it in a deal like off of the "demo" list at Camera Land or from Liberty Optics. I would still most likely get a premier because you can still find them for great prices used but would really try out the older zeiss. For the type of shooting that I do, I really do not have to crank on the knobs all that much, nor do I need tons of elevation. The lesser adjustment of the older zeiss would be of no problem. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them because they are all fantastic.

Are you really sure about that?

from bottom to topp I have 11,5 Mil in my Diavaria from the spring of 2007, made in april, a lovely month.

11.5 you say, yes I say, Measured to, did a test shoot at 1,3 meter long piece of papper at 100 meters, however up and untill this spring I only had a straight base and lost about 4 mil that way,

now I run a 20 Moa base and the PMII.

Besides the no-FFP and the 0.05 mil adjust(still how hard is it to double up), there is nothing wrong with the old models, the new ones with Flouride linses, do read about that are just sickening clear and have less glare and so on

a correct .1 mil adjust and so on.

In short it´s a ducking good piece of optics, expensive yes, worth it, yes to me at least.

Best regards Chris