• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 Creedmoor ammo / loads for gas gun

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Did some searching in the reloading section and here, but could not come up with anything.

So.....looking for info on the 6.5CM ammo for a 22" barreled large frame AR. I would be interested in hearing from folks who use the 130 VLD or 123 Scenar in their auto loaders.

I know a lot of folks are happy with the 140 Amax, but from what I have been able to dig up, most are running 25-28" barrels.
With a 22" barrel I would think you would loose 100-200 FPS with the 140's. Would like to keep the velocity up as much as I can for 1000 yard shooting.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor ammo / loads for gas gun

You do know Hornady also makes a 120 AMAX load in 6.5 CM right?

BgBmBoo, I am not completely done with my load development just yet, but with the 140 A-Max's and 42g of H4350 I am getting just over 2720 FPS. I have a GAP 10 with a 23" barrel. I think when I should be able to get 2800+ when done.
I have not got to try the 123 Scenars yet. That is the next boolit I want to try.

With the factory 120 A-Max, loaded with 39g Varget, I am getting 2940'ish. I have not got to load any H4350 under that pill yet.

A good friend of mine has a 6.5 creedmoor with a 22 inch barrel, factory ammo in 120gr and 140gr at 1000yds testing showed the 120's were all over the place and the 140's were dead nuts accurate. He is one hell of a shot and it wasn't him messing up.

Thanks Fur. That's the kind of info I am looking for.

Yes....I know Hornady sells a 120 Amax. But have you looked at the BC of the Amax and the BC of the 123 Scenar?

Take care,Stan

I run 40.5g of H4350 under Berger 130 VLD, Wolf Primer, at 2.820 OAL. I get 0.5 MOA consistently, had it out yesterday with a friend who was getting 0.25 MOA at 100y.

120 AMAX over 41g RL-17, Wolf Primer at 2.820 OAL also performs the same in my gas gun.

Rifle Specs:

MEGA Ma-TEN Matched Set
Fulton Armory 6.5 CM NM 20"
Young BCG
Geissele SSA-E
NSX 8-32x56

Great info Bronco! Thank you. I am looking forward to getting this rig together. I will post up a range report.
Can you tell me what kind of velocity your getting with the 130's out of the 20" barrel?

Take care,Stan

Hey Stan, what brake you using on that build...yous stuff is always rockin..? need to get one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did some searching in the reloading section and here, but could not come up with anything.

So.....looking for info on the 6.5CM ammo for a 22" barreled large frame AR. I would be interested in hearing from folks who use the 130 VLD or 123 Scenar in their auto loaders.

I know a lot of folks are happy with the 140 Amax, but from what I have been able to dig up, most are running 25-28" barrels.
With a 22" barrel I would think you would loose 100-200 FPS with the 140's. Would like to keep the velocity up as much as I can for 1000 yard shooting.

Thanks for the help. </div></div>

Stan, I have not looked into the BC between the 120 and the 123's

The best group I have so far at 300 yards is loaded with 39g of Varget with the 140 A-Max, not fast, like 2650, but at 300 yards a 5 shot group was just at 1.25. I have just started the load development with the GAP 10 6.5, I do expect to get this much, much better.

This is the only thing I hate with a new rifle. It is fun to shoot, but can get aggravating finding that perfect load.

Hi Fur.
The 123 comment was directed at CNC not at you.

Yep....I do not enjoy reloading. I do it because I "have to" to get te accuracy I am seeking or they do not make match grade factory ammo,etc. And do get frustrated at times while trying to find a good load for a given rifle. Going through that right now with a .223 bolt gun and 75gr Amax bullets.

Anyways...I will post up results once I get this rifle together. I am sure you will get that GAP 10 dialed in.

Take care,Stan

BgBmBoo

I have been loading some 130 VLD hunting bullets with H4350 and Varget for a 20" Criterion barrel. All of the loads I tried in an OCW test with Varget were under an inch and about half of the H4350 loads were as well. Best loads for my gun was 38.0 grains of Varget with Federal 210 primers, OAL of 2.81" at 2,688 fps. The H4350 was 42.0 grains, F210 primer, OAL of 2.81" at 2,656 fps.

Since I had the GAP 10 built, my wife asked if it was for her. I said you got the TRG. She said she liked the look of the GAP. DAMN, I guess I need to have another built...