• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 creedmoor brass - Alpha vs Lapua vs Peterson

shaun1826

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
AR
I saw some old threads comparing Alpha, Lapua and Peterson brass, but nothing recent. I'm about to buy some new 6.5 creedmoor brass probably in small primer. From the reading I've done all of these look like good options, but is there a consensus on the ranking of them?

I saw some old threads comparing Alpha, Lapua and Peterson brass, but nothing recent. I'm about to buy some new 6.5 creedmoor brass probably in small primer. From the reading I've done all of these look like good options, but is there a consensus on the ranking of them?
I have only used Lapua so I cannot comment on the others. I can say the only drawback was the price of the Lapua. But last week Powder Valley had it priced at $85 per hundred. I grabbed 5 boxes. The last time I bought some it was $111 per box.

I bought 200 round each of Peterson and Starline 6.5CM SRP last summer. In terms of accuracy and consistency, both are about equal. I can't speak to longevity as I'm still on first firing.

The Peterson necks are smoother, better "finished" - I have some of the old brass where the necks were chamfered; Peterson no longer does this. It was shipped in 50-round cartridge boxes.

The Starline brass was shipped in bags so a notable percentage of the necks are dented. No question that the Starline needs to go through neck-sizing and expander mandrel. The Peterson brass seems to be pretty consistent at 0.262-0.263 inside diameter but I run them through the neck sizing drill anyway.

Can't compare to Lapua because I've never used it. I'm getting 0.75-1.5" groups at 300 with both Peterson and Starine (H4350, CCI450, Berger Hybrid 140s) - when I shoot in calm, no-mirage conditions, sub-1" groups at 300 are almost expected and I get grumpy when a round or two wander off an inch. 500-yard groups are also half-moaor less on no-wind-no-mirage days.

I've only shot the Lapua and am very happy with it. Haven't tried the others so no comparison.
Euro-Optic has the 6.5 cm for around $86.00 a hundred if I remember right.
6 firings on the first 100 and primer pockets are tight and doesn't seem to grow in length.
I don't think you would be disappointed.

Ive used Hornady, Federal, Norma and Lapua.

Lapua all the way. I think the overwhelming number of pro shooters use it.

You dont need to buy virgin brass, either. Just buy some factory Berger ammo. It comes in Lapua brass.

Reactions: clcustom1911
That's a very useful bit of info ditter!

I just received a couple hundred cases from Peterson. It's very good looking, high polish, even annealing, extreme weight spread of only 1.5 grains, and length within .002". The ammo case it ships in is also a really nice case. Has a real hinge, so its really easy to get ammo in and out of it compared to a molded hinge. I use Lapua for another caliber and I would say the Peterson looks to be as good so far. The one downside in my mind to the Peterson has slightly smaller listed case capacity.

But, that's loaded ammo with best of the best components for the same cost as the same components. If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a few weights of the Berger ammo.

I bought 600 Alpha when they were first introduced. I'm on my 5th firing with no issues whatsoever. I anneal every other firing.

I also have 400 Lapua. I see no difference over the chrono as far as velocities, SD, or ES are concerned. The Alpha takes quite a bit less powder to get to 2840 fps. I know my Alpha load is 39.36 grains of Reloder 16. I'm not sure about the Lapua, but I wanna say it's in the upper 41 range.

Edit: If it matters, I also have about a thousand Hornady, 600 Prime, and a few hundred Starline I converted to 25 Creedmoor. I've gotten great SDs out of all of them. The Hornady isn't as consistent as the others and the SDs aren't as good as the Alpha or the Prime, but certainly good enough to use. If I really wanted to tighten up the numbers, I'd weight sort the brass. The Hornady might also not last the longest, but you really can't complain about the price since you can pick up once fired brass really cheap!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HolmesDefense
i'd buy 300 factory rounds from either prime or berger and then you have breakin done and 300 pieces of peterson or lapua brass for the rest of the barrel

Reactions: DellaDog
The Alpha takes quite a bit less powder to get to 2840 fps. I know my Alpha load is 39.36 grains of Reloder 16. I'm not sure about the Lapua, but I wanna say it's in the upper 41 range

What barrel length? Just picked up 8lbs of R16 to try and am also using Alpha brass.

John

My personal experience with Starline SRP after 4 firings is that I’m starting to get loose primer pockets already. None are unusable yet but I would say one in five barely take any effort to seat. This is at very normal pressures too, haven’t been pushing them hard. Accuracy has been good with them and no other complaints. Not sure why my primer pockets seem to be giving out so quick.

Reactions: IowaGeologist
Peterson LRP, running H4350 at 41.3 grains 2815 fps, and an incredibly consistent 7fps SD
I'm 2600 rounds in, with 250 left from my original 300, 50 lost to loose primer pockets. 8 reloads in, with no annealing until my 6th firing.

I'm loving these.

Peterson SRP 260 rem
42.5 h4350 cci 450
Annealeez used after every firing
10 firings and still going strong

I have about 5 firings on my Starline LRP brass and I have been very pleased with it as well. I used to use Hornady for the price point but decided to go with Starline instead. The Starline seems a lot thicker then Hornady, I would like to know if anyone has compared it to Peterson, Alpha, or Lapua as far as volume goes?

i'd buy 300 factory rounds from either prime or berger and then you have breakin done and 300 pieces of peterson or lapua brass for the rest of the barrel

This is exactly what did. CCI 450, 43grn of H4350, and Berger 140 matched the factory Berger loads for me. Of all the 6.5CM brass I’ve shot, I would rank them: Lapua > Alpha SRP > Alpha LRP > Peterson SRP > Peterson LRP > Nolser > Prime Norma > Hornady > Federal.

Reactions: irishdave69
Who made the brass for the old prime ammo? I got plenty of the old and new Peterson stuff just wondering which would be better to reload off of.