• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 grendel build.

NukeMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Illinois
Looking for sources on grendel barrels and bcg's. Building another coyote gun and trying something new over the 556's I've built. Already have a stripped Aero upper and lower. Probably going with an 18 inch barrel. I usually use RRA barrels since they are just down the road from me and I've always had good success with them.What are yall running and what's working out the best.

I have an Odin Works ultralite barrel in 6.5 Grendel. I've only run about 60rds through it so far. It like the Hornady Black 123gr ELD load best so far. But I havent gotten to play much with it yet, just 20rds of 120gr Wolf Gold and 40rds of the Hornady 123gr ELD.

Alexander Arms makes a good 6.5G barrel for the money too.

I've got a JP and an Odin works. The JP shoots better than the Odin works, but the OW is no slouch- sub moa with hornady black. The JP is just better- like 1/2 moa with the same ammo.

22" jp barrel. Hornady black 123 eldm. 150 yards, dog didnt take another step. Very happy with the jp so far.

Attachments

• 20190105_214849.jpg
    20190105_214849.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Darqusoull13
I have a herd of Grendels here now, damn things multiply like rabbits. The one I shoot the most is my 11" Lilja, but for an 18" I'd recommend looking at the Criterion hybrid, tons of great reviews and reports. My 18 isn't a Criterion, but I do have their 22"

Reactions: Raffica762
I have a 20" Satern I ordered from them a while back. Not only is Grendel badass in and of itself, that barrel is the best I've ever seen or owned. At first it was only good for ~1MOA with a few different handloads including the 107gr. SMK and the 123gr. SMK. The Hornady AMAX (and I think the lightest ones may have been VMAX) didn't impress either. In retrospect, they may have fared better had I worked with the loads more. The chamber is also extremely tight with a short leade.

Then I talked to Bill A. one evening (we used to stay in touch after I got out of the army) and he told me to try the 120gr. Nosler BT's, that his Satern loved 'em. Damn thing will do .33 MOA all day, just one hole ragged groups at 100 and I've never seen anything like it. So that's all I get for it. I haven't shot it in a while yet though, need a toolhead for the 650.

Only problem with Satern is getting one. It took 'em 3 years to deliver this one and I've had one on order for over 7 years, I finally just gave up and quit updating the CC info on file. IF they have one for sale on their site, and they do quite often, I'd get one. It's really a work of art. I suppose other high end cut rifle barrels would be similarly as good.

I have an 11.5" Lilja (but he's right above, it's more like 11", they count the barrel extension in the barrel length) and haven't used it at all yet for the same reason above. But I expect good things from it.

Bill said "if you go long, go long, if you go short, go short". He wasn't fond of the 14.5, 16, 18, or 20 inch lengths. 11.5 or so if you want it short or 22-24 if you want it long, with 24 being the max. I like that 20" just fine though, and the 11" is very light and can't wait to use it.

For BCG, can't go wrong with JP FMOS. They make a Grendel bolt too and it's also superior (a Satern bbl. will come with a matching bolt, not a JP). I'm convinced they make the best bolt carrier, they're slick as shit and very well made, attention to detail, nothing else is like it. Pretty much quit having malfunctions of any type when I started using them. If I build it and it's one of my nicer ones, it'll be sporting a JP.

Good luck and have fun, the Grendel is easily the pinnacle of performance in a small frame AR.

Here's the 11", don't have a picture of the 20" off hand. It has the JP carrier but I think it has an AA bolt. Noveske receivers. 1-8x USO in the Badger mount is perfect for it (I think) works like a dot on low and a tree at higher mag. KAC URX4 and sights. Can is the 9" TBAC Ultra 6.5 but also have a 5" in .30 for it too. Has a PEQ and small Surefire not shown with the dual switches. Yeah, really been wanting to shoot this one for a while now, it's without a doubt my most interesting SBR:

IMG_0882.JPG

You really NEED to shoot that thing! Mine has become my main truck/deer/HD/wilderness/work/etc gun, even beating out my 8.5" 10mm AR

I am using a 18" x-caliber barrel with a JP BCG and their captured recoil spring. I shoot Hornady black 123 grain eldm's. It's a 3/4 moa gun when I do my part.

Reactions: TACC