• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

88 Inch barrel

I’m wondering how in the hell they threaded two barrels together so that when they seated the rifling matched. That two sets of threads matching perfectly. That’s voodoo level shit. Seriously, someone please explain the calculation for timing the threads in such a way that the rifling matches. Cause it had to be a flush fit inside the barrel or very bad things could occur.

I’m wondering how in the hell they threaded two barrels together so that when they seated the rifling matched. That two sets of threads matching perfectly. That’s voodoo level shit. Seriously, someone please explain the calculation for timing the threads in such a way that the rifling matches. Cause it had to be a flush fit inside the barrel or very bad things could occur.

its not really hard, just like shouldering a barrel.

I have a friend who has done in in his shop on a parts build Winchester 1886. He has a old ass Clausing lathe and a welder. He wanted a longer barrel so he made one out of two. It shoots fine.

Wish they had used a larger cartridge but at least we now know the max barrel length for a 308 is 42”.

its not really hard, just like shouldering a barrel.

I have a friend who has done in in his shop on a parts build Winchester 1886. He has a old ass Clausing lathe and a welder. He wanted a longer barrel so he made one out of two. It shoots fine.
Dammit. I have to know how he got the rifling to match. My CDO has kicked in.

• Haha
Reactions: kc7pwx
He just made a male end on the breech side of the joint and made a female end on the muzzle side. Then he slid them together, no threads. Aligned the rifling and welded it.

Probably not the "right" way but it works.