• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AWSM Downunder @ 1200YDS

wooferocau

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Victoria,Australia
Got to try my NEW AWSM @ 1200yds for the first time today. The weather was a little overcast and a slight breeze but all in all , not to bad.
The rifle has exceeded my expectations....still playing with a few different powders , but even in these early stages its an awesome shooting rifle.
The S&B 12-5o- x 56 PMII is also very impressive, very clear and VERY usable @ 50X even with the dim light.

With a little more load development i can only guess at what the rifle is capable of....

Very impressed

DSC_0141w.jpg

DSC_0141wm.jpg

DSC_0144w.jpg

DSC_0149w.jpg

DSC_0151w.jpg

DSC_0152w.jpg

DSC_0153w.jpg

1200ydsAWSM.jpg

1200ydsAWSm2.jpg

Re: AWSM Downunder @ 1200YDS

Good shooting mate! very nice rifle too! hope its not as cold up there as it is down here in tassie!

nice country

what where you using loads wise.

Though the scope pic would be nice next time, given its a holiday tomorrow...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice country

what where you using loads wise.

Though the scope pic would be nice next time, given its a holiday tomorrow... </div></div>

Stared with 94gr AR2225 / 250 Scenar....... But got the best results with 87gr RL22 / 250 Sierra HPBT

Right on, congratulations. That's a serious looking piece of kit. I'd like to organise a shoot for the Vic/Tas shooters at some stage. Would be great to have a show and shoot some time.

Good shooting

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. More photos please!

Went out again today, as the weather was much more pleasant than yesterday.
Set up in a valley up the back of our place so as to shield from the wind a little.

I only had a limited amount of Sierra,s to try so i limited groups to 3 shot,s once i finalize a load then i will shoot longer strings. NOT worried to much about point of impact , but more on group size.

At the moment i am tryiung to decide on 2 particular powders....RL22 and ADI 2217 both are showing promise .The Sierra,s are shooting slightly better than the Scenar,s, which is a pity as the Sierra,s are twice the price!!!

Some more pics..

DSC_0169w.jpg

DSC_0166w.jpg

DSC_0162w.jpg

DSC_0160w.jpg

S&B 12-50x56 @ 50 Power

DSC_0172-mod.jpg

Sierra 250 HPBT
14-6-101200yds.jpg

Scenar 250 HPBT
Scenarw.jpg

nice shooting spot.
6 degrees, thats approx 44 degrees F?
it is winter down there now, figgured that out myself.
1200Y on paper, man that is hard( steel, get some steel! if your steel is too easy get smaller steel)
Nice group!
I thought one could not own military calibers in Austrailia, is that not true? so no .308, .223, etc?
man, that is some pretty country!

woofer,

Thats bloody good shooting. If ADI are on par with RL, go with ADI. ADI will always be on hand.

Regards Albert.

ida83704 said:
nice shooting spot.
6 degrees, thats approx 44 degrees F?
it is winter down there now, figgured that out myself.
1200Y on paper, man that is hard( steel, get some steel! if your steel is too easy get smaller steel)
Nice group!
I thought one could not own military calibers in Austrailia, is that not true? so no .308, .223, etc?
man, that is some pretty country!

ida83704,

We can have 308, 223 ammo, but no semi auto rifles or semi auto shotties (shot guns)

Regards, Albert.

How about silencers(from another thread)
none for civilians?

can a civilian carry a concealed pistol in AUS? I have shot with some Canadians and nobody in Canada can carry a concealed pistol.

aus gun laws........where to begin....

you can have semi autos if you are a primary producer and are licenced to have them, for pest control etc.

you can have pistols but must shoot them 10 times a year at a gun range, and nowhere else.

my mate had a concealed carry licence for his private security work, for carrying a 9mm pistol.

you can get a silencer if you can get the right forms signed etc.. the cons outway the pros though, and id think loading subsonic ammo or just get a 22 with subs is easier and less likely to land you in jail. hahahaha

oh yeah, screw with aussie gun laws and you will do serious jail time, we dont mess around, lol

but with all that said there are grey areas to mentioned rules, but im not about to state those on a public site.

take it easy guys,

ps, woofer, what area are you shooting in??? looks lovely, i grew up in the yarra valley and those hills remind me of near home and further north...

pps, we should organise a victorian hide members shot oneday!!!

jim

That is awesome shooting. Very impressive. The landscape is beautiful is also. Wouldn't mind having a place like that to sling some lead.

Great shooting and nice scope/rifle. I like the through the scope pic.

Post again when you get done load development, I want to see some 5 round groups!

You did some very nice shooting there. The AWSM has always caught my attention and in the future it is a rifle that i want. The AWSM seems to me to have all the features i want in a rifle. Enjoy your purchase.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right on, congratulations. That's a serious looking piece of kit. I'd like to organise a shoot for the Vic/Tas shooters at some stage. Would be great to have a show and shoot some time.

Good shooting </div></div>

Brother im down with that, count me in!!

Been waiting to get a group of serious shooters together for a decent day of long range shooting, or something thereabouts!

Nice AWSM, you dont really see many rifles of this sort in Australia. Every time i take the AICS to the range it becomes an instant conversation starter with many. I wish i had the funds to get an AWSM

Nice land you have there. Gota love our country
smile.gif

Hey Guys,
Count me in too boys for a Vic shoot, only we should organise it for the end of the year so i have my new rifle hopefully by then.lol

Pete

agreed, later in the year so i have my 308 complete..... and its warmer, hahahaha i dont mind getting wet if there is a deer involved or some such, hahahahahahaha but........

if we cant find someone with a decent private range, i could see what would be involved in booking the 1000yrd range here in bendigo for an arvo or something....

cheers guys,
jimi

Which reticle and model SB is that? At least with the US offerings, I haven't seen a tactical model with that magnification, or that reticle.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBrother</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which reticle and model SB is that? At least with the US offerings, I haven't seen a tactical model with that magnification, or that reticle.

Thanks!</div></div>

That is the P4F reticle and SWFA and a few others offer that model.

GG

Nice set up, nice shooting, nice range, and nice floor mat set up, looks very comfy~
smile.gif