• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AXMC Bolt Change Problem

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
I attempted to do a full caliber change tonight on an AXMC. I've changed barrels before, but this is the first time going from 338LM to 6.5CM. I placed the safety in the middle position and removed the firing pin assembly from the magnum bolt with ease. However, when I place it in the new .308 bolt body it will fully insert but I can't rotate it at all to lock it in place, regardless of how much I fiddle with different pressure, etc. Am I missing/forgetting something, or do I have a fitment problem?
Thanks

Possibly a stupid question, but is your 308 bolt body for the small firing pin?

If you have a small firing pin 308 bolt body, the large firing pin bolt tail and firing pin assembly from the LM bolt won't work in it.

AI was only supposed to sell the small firing pin AXMC 308 bolts as a complete assembly, but I remember where at least one other person here accidentally received a small firing pin 308 bolt body with their AXMC kit and the large firing pin assembly from the LM bolt would not fit in the SFP 308 bolt body.

If your 308 bolt body is for a large firing pin, something is amiss... it should just drop right in, rotate, and lock.

Not a stupid question (I hadn't thought to check) but it appears to be the correct one for the large pin, as I had ordered it. The tip of the pin will fit through the firing pin hole of the new bolt's face from the front. I can't figure out what's holding it up from rotating once it is pushed in - it will go all the way in, it just won't rotate. So, it appears I have a defective new 308 bolt body?

Last edited:
Happen to have a bore scope?

If so, you can look at the grooves cut inside the rear of the bolt bolt body that retain the firing pin assembly on both bolt bodies and see if something is up with your 308 bolt body.

Can you rotate the bolt tail in the 308 bolt body if you manually depress the locking pin?

I was already looking at that while you were typing. There is a circumferential channel inside the 338 body about an inch from the rear (just in front of where the bolt handle attaches). This appears to match up to the rear lug on the firing pin assembly. I do not see this channel cut inside the 308 bolt body, and am about to conclude that it skipped a step in the machining process.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tail and the locking pin (which pin are you referring to)? What are you calling the bolt "tail", and which locking pin do you mean?

edit: I think by "bolt tail", you are referring to the firing pin assembly itself? And the locking pin is just the same one used to remove the assembly from the bolt? In that case, no - manually depressing it on the 308 bolt still doesn't allow it to rotate.

Last edited:
I probably should be saying firing pin shroud instead of bolt tail... As far as the lock pin, that's the small safety lock pin on the shroud you have to depress to rotate and remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt body.

Sounds like you found the problem and the groove for the firing pin assembly wasn't cut inside your 308 built body... Oops. Guess it was never test fit at the factory, had it been used for an entire bolt assembly the issue would have been found at the factory during assembly.

I'm sure mile high will take care of it ASAP, hopefully they have one in stock.

Yes, you are correct that it was purchased as a component, and not part of a complete rifle. The rifle came as a 338NM. I currently had a 338LM barrel on it (same bolt, of course), and this was my first time converting to 6.5 and needing a new bolt body.

Did you try moving the safety back to fire and inserting the fp assembly into the 308 bolt body and then trying to rotate the fp assembly?

Those lugs inside the bolt body and corresponding lugs on the fp rotate the bolt closed if you were to pull the trigger or the sear was to fall partially out of battery

Did you try moving the safety back to fire and inserting the fp assembly into the 308 bolt body and then trying to rotate the fp assembly?

Those lugs inside the bolt body and corresponding lugs on the fp rotate the bolt closed if you were to pull the trigger or the sear was to fall partially out of battery
No, but standby...

Moving the safety to Fire did not make a difference.

Does it work without the firing pin assembly installed?
Yes, the new 308 bolt body will fit and work in the action without the fp assembly installed. I just can't get the fp assembly to install in the bolt body. It goes in and out of the 338 bolt body perfectly fine. I have to conclude this 308 bolt body is defective.