• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bartlein Barrell advice--308 savage

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Hi guys:

I am going to re-barrell my savage 16. I have decided to use Bartlein as they work on savages and have excellent reputation. (with have the install the barrel and add a recoil lug).

Rifle pictured with Hog:

photo_zps26f18eb7.jpg

I have added a CDI Precicion trigger guard /mag box for AI mags. (McMillan Classic GAP Camo stock)

I am going with a 20" length and #3 contour. This is a general purpose rifle. Hunting, long range (I have taken it to 1100 yards, but that is not common),.

Currently it has a 1-10 twist barrel.

I am seriously looking at t 5R barrel.

Use will be 15O grain TSX for hunting, Hornady Flat base 150s for practice (I have a jillion of them) and M118LR/175 grain Black hills for long range.

I have a decided tendency to 1-10 twist barrels.

For a 5R barrel is there a reason to go with 1-11.25?

Thanks,

BMT

Hi guys:

I am going to re-barrell my savage 16. I have decided to use Bartlein as they work on savages and have excellent reputation. (with have the install the barrel and add a recoil lug).

Rifle pictured with Hog:

photo_zps26f18eb7.jpg

I have added a CDI Precicion trigger guard /mag box for AI mags. (McMillan Classic GAP Camo stock)

I am going with a 20" length and #3 contour. This is a general purpose rifle. Hunting, long range (I have taken it to 1100 yards, but that is not common),.

Currently it has a 1-10 twist barrel.

I am seriously looking at t 5R barrel.

Use will be 15O grain TSX for hunting, Hornady Flat base 150s for practice (I have a jillion of them) and M118LR/175 grain Black hills for long range.

I have a decided tendency to 1-10 twist barrels.

For a 5R barrel is there a reason to go with 1-11.25?

Thanks,

BMT

BMT, Why a 1-10 twist?

Length of bullet dictates twist. Not necessarily the weight of the bullet. How long are the 150gr. TSX bullets. A faster twist with crappier ammo or bullets/loaded ammo that have more run out. The faster twist will amplify the run out and cause your groups to be worse.

A 1-12 twist up to most bullets in the 180 to 190 range will stabilize even at .308win. velocities. Not all bullets but most.

I shoot a 1-11 or a 1-11.25 on most of my .30cal. guns.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels