• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Converting M18x1 threads to 5/8x24?

waspocrew

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2018
Montana
As title states, is this possible? Found a Tikka T3x tactical I'm interested in, but noticed the barrel comes threaded M18x1 from the factory for .223 Rem. I'm aware of adapters but curious if it's possible to cut new threads without removing any barrel length?

M18x1 has a minor diameter of 17mm, or .669". 5/8-24 has a major diameter of .6245".

So yes, it can easily be done without reducing barrel length.

Reactions: waspocrew
Before you attempt this conversion, try it on a test piece first. Here's my concern. It sounds as though only the minor diameter is being compared. The thread pitch is different. Not by much, 24 threads per inch equals a 1.058 thread pitch in mm.

I compared a thread pitch gauge for 24 TPI to a metric 1.0 thread pitch gauge, and in an inch, it looks like you'd have the major diameter of the 24 TPI right over the minor diameter of the 1.0 thread pitch in mm.

It still might work, but there might be gaps in the threads. It's not as though you were changing just the diameter of two otherwise equal thread pitches.

The idea is, that since the diameter across the root (minor) of the current thread is .669", and the diameter at the crest (major) of the new thread (5/8-24) is .624", the old thread will be completely removed, and it's pitch irrelevant.

The largest part of the 5/8-24 thread, is .045" smaller than the smallest part of the m18x1.

The idea is, that since the diameter across the root (minor) of the current thread is .669", and the diameter at the crest (major) of the new thread (5/8-24) is .624", the old thread will be completely removed, and it's pitch irrelevant.

The largest part of the 5/8-24 thread, is .045" smaller than the smallest part of the m18x1.
Understood. I misread your initial post. Thought comparing minor diameter to minor diameter.

Moot point as he will likely end up at 1/2 inch anyway. Still, good info.

Reactions: ken226