• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report difference made by adjustable gas block

walgren45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Kansas, Trego co.
How much would my groups improve if I was shooting with the gas off (hand cycleing the weapon) vs. gas on (semi auto)? I own a panther SASS .308 with heavy 18 inch barrel. And also can I reach out to 1000 with this short of a barrel and still kill something such as a deer? I know this isn't the ultimate long range rifle but I just put together an all around weapon from CQB to long range. If the shit ever realy hits the fan and I am in 3survival mode I didn't want to have to cary multiple weapons. Also .308 is very common and also used by military.

Re: difference made by adjustable gas block

None, yes, but deer are not that smart. A 22 RF is a much better "end of the world" weapon as you can afford to have a lot more dispersed stockpiles of ammo and weapons. It will kill game and people with a lot less noise, All the deer poachers I knew in my "ute" used the 22. A 10-22 with a drum backed up by Ruger Mk III standard with extra mags would be hard to beat.

Re: difference made by adjustable gas block

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: walgren45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> can I reach out to 1000 with this short of a barrel and still kill something such as a deer? </div></div>

Kill? Yes. Tracking and long recovery? Probability is high...unless your 'net-fu is godlike and you can make consistent 1k head/neck shots.