• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

do you shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open?

Re: do you shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open?

On my dominant side I shoot with both eyes open because it helps keep the muscles in my face relaxed. On my weak side I have to close one eye still because I can't get my brain to switch over well enough to focus my weak eye through the scope. I'm working on that, though.

Yes. I use my dominant eye (left) on the scope.
I keep the right opened for safety, but when hunting varmints I can also toggle my view and look through the right eye without closing my left.

do you shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open?

YES

John

I typically have both eyes open during/for target acquisition and close my non dominant eye for the shot. I've gotten better shooting with both eyes open but I still get distracted by whatever my non dominant eye is seeing.

I shoot with both eyes closed.

Both oppen, it relaxes my focal plane.

You'll find as soon as you hit 40, and you can almost mark your calendar with it, that your focal muscles goe down the tube, slowly at first.

Leave both eyes open and that problem is solved, even with my glasses on.

Just keeps my eyes and face more relaxed.

I did this in smallbore as well with iron sights, although I did have an eye patch for that to keep it dark...

Shoot with both eyes open. Being left handed and left eye dominate makes for 'fun' in a right handed world.

If I am using a hand gun I can shoot with my glasses on but if I am using a rifle I can only wear my contacts. That is because I cannot see the reticle wearing glasses no matter how I shift my face. Being old (61) stinks. Eyes don't work or focus very well anymore.

Maxwell

Yes. Same as most others - it relaxes my face and also gives me better SA outside the scope picture.

Josh

I recently had surgery on my dominate eye so I've been forced to use my left. Before, I would close my eye as not to be distracted. However, since it hurts to force it closed, I know leave it open (hurt right eye), and peak through the scope with the good eye (left). My accuracy improved!?

Now, with shotguns during dove season. I had to take the same approach. That was ridiculously hard because I had double vision of the bead. Eventually I got it down.

One thing I learned, everyone should practice weak eye/handed. You never know when you'll need to be efficient with them.

SS

I get terrible headache when one eye closed. Even the doc couldn't explain it, since I was around 10. I learned how to shoot with both eyes open and been ever since.

yes keep em open. I use the rear flip lens cover turned sideways to use as a blinder

Who Me? Good answer, I hadn't thought about using the flip cap as a blinder but it makes sense to me.
I fortunatly have been blessed that my dominant eye is right as I am right handed so things go well for me.
With age, I find myself sqinting my left eye when looking through the scope, but have always before kept both eyes open.
This is an age thing and how you eyes get old and you need bi-focals.
Target identification and getting on it is much easier if you are both eye dominant and left or right handed as long as the dominant eye and being right or left handed match.
I hope that makes sense.
I have trained young shooters that were left eye dominant but right handed and they either started shooting left handed or struggled to do it right handed.
I believe that if you are handed one way or the other and your dominant eye is with you, you are blessed, otherwise it is a struggle.
With that, I would recommend keeping both eyes open and let your dominant eye do what Mother Nature does for you as to target aquisition{sic.} It has worked for me but I have seen shooters struggle being crossed up with their dominant eye and how their body works. Regards, FM

both open just like pistols and shotguns

a little of both I guess.

Both Open,
Relaxed, comfort and consistancy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll find as soon as you hit 40, and you can almost mark your calendar with it, that your focal muscles goe down the tube, slowly at first.</div></div>

I resemble that statement
laugh.gif

i will definetly be trying the eye patch trick, plus it will look cool at a match.

Yes I shoot with both eyes open, have found during extended shooting it helps keep me relaxed. To stop glare I usually wear a baseball cap which extends and rests over the eye piece.

just depends on the lighting conditions to me mainly. sometimes i do, sometimes i don't.

I can't focus on a reticle with one eye closed. I don't have the same problem with iron sights.

Both eyes open with glass's now at 50.I was warned about self gradification when I was younger.

I shoot with both eyes open. It just seems more comfortable to me..

I've noticed that with both eyes open I don't blink, I get better groups, and the rifle settles back closer to the POI after the shot.

That's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, reduces eye fatigue. </div></div>

ditto.

Funny how many different people do stuff. Growing up I always shot with my left eye closd. Seems the older I get the harder it is to keep it closed. Focusing is so much better and easier with one eye open. As others have said, it lets your face relax and that allows me to concentrate more on the target and less on keeping my eye closed.

When I shot a bow everyday I had both eyes open.
Dominate eye focused to the target.
It became more of a muscle memory thing.
Release and sights already had to be in right place.

When spotting for a slow shooter, I find it easier to keep non-dominate closed.

Not the best, but it doesn't give my old head a headache.

Don't need to see what I'm setting up.
Only spot.

I'm the only righty in a family of lefties.
We deal with it!