• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors ESEE Knives

AJB

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2007
South Florida
Looking to get a knife that i can strap to a bugout bag to be used for survival/shtf not EDC. Anyone own one that has put one through some abuse? If so how do you like it?

Re: ESEE Knives

I own a RC-3 its a nice knife i have used it to skin many animals with from deer to bear. It stays sharp fairly well and is real easy to put a super sharp edge on it. Just need to keep it lightly oiled as it will rust without keeping it oiled. IMHO its kinda of an expensive knife to just hang off a SHTF pack though.... There are lots of other cheaper options such as SOG fusion throwing knives they are made of 440 and come in a pack of 3 for 39.99. Thats 3 knives for the price of one.... I have the SOG fusions and they are nice and sharp and you get 3 of them cant go wrong there

Guys over on BladeForums.com seem to love them.. Check out the Bark River options also.. though a bit more expensive. Both hard use knives. Just depends on your budget. If going to put in a bug out bag you are probably never going to use you may not want to spend too much. Now if you backpack, hunt and camp a lot you may want to drop a little more coin.

ESEE is good to go. I believe they brached out/separated from Ontario a while back. They are tough and are made out of top quality material. That said, get a Kabar/becker bk2 for half the price and you will not be dissapointed. if this is not going to be a heavy use knife, no need to fork up the cash. I own both and find myself being shy with the ESEE just because of what I paid for it. My BK2 is every bit as capable, just not as nice in the sheath and scales.

<span style="font-style: italic">Edit* I own the RC4 </span>

I have the rc-4, took it to Tom Brown jrs tracking school. Performed very well , couldnt be happier. It will rust if ya dont take care of it. I am planning on buying the rc-6.

I have an ESEE 5 and have abused it quite a bit. It sharpens well and would be tough to break since its 1/4" blade. It rusts quickly once the coating starts to get thin. I would recommend something that doesn't rust so quickly.

Looking at the ESEE discussions on the blade forums the brand tends to be commercialized with a lot of patches and t-shirts etc being sold. I always thought it was strange that people purchase items that promote a survival school that they have never attended.

I have a ESEE5 and izula2, have used the shit out of both of them. Compltetly processed a deer with my izula, never gave me a problem, and stayed reasonably sharp. You can baton them through anything damned near. Plus they have a GREAT warranty, if you break it, they replace it, no questions asked.

I have an ESEE 4 and izula, love them to death. Great knives, good steal. You will have to watch for rust with 1095 carbon, pack a silicon wipe and you'll be fine.

Have an RC-6-great do it all knife, good balance between size for chopping and fineness for small work. sharpens well. very happy with it.

I have their 4", 5", and an Izula. They are tough, but as others have mentioned, they need to be oiled to prevent rust.

The ESEE-5 is a lot thicker than the rest of the knives in their line.

I would check out the Esee HEST, it looks like a very well thought out blade.

Thanks guys Im going to go with the RC-5 and the mini one as a backup along with a good multi tool.