• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Failure to eject with new can

AJB

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2007
South Florida
Tax stamp came in today so before work I went to the range. The first thirty rounds I had a failure to eject the casing and the slide would go forward with the spent brass pinched sideways. After the can got slightly loosened it fuctioned perfectly. Then when I went to retighten the can on it continued to fail after every shot. Anyone know what the problem may be? Or a possible solution.

I'm using a Glock 17 with a lone wolf barrel and shooting Fiocci 158grain 9mm's through an AAC Ti-rant

Re: Failure to eject with new can

The round was plenty heavy enough should of cycled great. Here is my 1911 with my 45 Ti Rant.

1911TiRant.jpg

Called AAC. They don't know what's wrong so they had me email the engineers to try to figure this.

Great and forgiving host.
Solid can.

Having said that, we can get down to it.

Your barrel is, imo, a poor choice. Seriously, Lone Wolf is no way to go. A good number of shops I know start by tossing LW barrels in the trash as their customers will never be satisfied long term. Disappointing, I know, even when some folks get them to run (and they do) the accuracy sucks.

You said - "After the can got slightly loosened it functioned perfectly" Did you mean to suggest that:

- When the can was not firmly set on the barrel is functioned perfectly

- When the Neilson loosened up it functioned perfectly?

how many rds through the lwd bbl and g17?

first thing I would try is to take booster apart and lube the O ring then put the piston and spring back in and screw together.

158 can be troublesome

are you using a factory guide rod/spring?

i had the same issue.. my glock fired fine with no can (tundra) but would catch the spent casing with the can attached

I used a little wire pulling gel on the booster or LID and made sure to lubricate my glock.

it worked fine with 115gr 124gr and 147gr after that.

oh wait another thing I had to do was a 14lb recoil spring

I think it was a 14lb, it was the next step lighter than the original

Stock everything and your can should run. Resolve this at the barrel or the can.

To clarify: when the piston is loosened of the barrel clockwise ever so slightly it begins to run fine.

I have shot 300 rounds through this setup before attaching the suppressor. The guide rod doesn't come close to hitting the can.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I wouldn't shoot the can slightly loose on the barrel thread- baffle strikes or grazes could easily occur.</span>

My brother and I both have G17's with lone wolf barrels.

They both have Trijicon RMR's sunk into the slides. My brother has shot his - I haven't had time around deployments to shoot mine.

He and a friend present reported that they were hitting an old out certification and thus junk LP tank from a normal gas grill at 175yards about 80% of the time. AKA accuracy was very good as this is about the size of a human torso. So I wouldn't say all the barrels are junk and incapable of accuracy.

My brother also like you experienced issues getting his Trident 9mm to cycle. Lone Wolf said that they typically tell customers to put some number of rounds (like 150) through the gun prior to shooting with a suppressor. His problems did clear up after firing these recommended break in rounds. I think the barrels just lock up a little tighter than Glock OEM, and it causes the gun to have slightly less weight tolerance than a stock Glock 17. Glocks are already not very weight tolerant, so this can cause issues with your boosted can.

Loosening the booster slightly probably allows the pistol barrel to experience just slightly less weight during unlocking- permitting it to cycle- but this is not the desired operating condition- you want the can tight/aligned while you are firing. I would say you're probably right on the edge- your gun will probably cycle after you've put some rounds through the barrel.

We also lightened striker springs and recoil springs during the build- I believe we went to 15lb flat wound recoil springs (not 100% sure on weight) and dropped a pound or two on the striker springs to match, but that wasn't for suppressor operation- we just wanted to slightly lower recoil impulse and trigger pull weight.

Glocks come with recoil springs that are overly heavy- and with time they lighten up- so well used glocks typically exhibit a more smooth recoil characteristic than new- we wanted to replicate that more closely from the start, rather than shoot 6K-10K rounds to get there.

I sent an email to LoneWolfDistributers customer service as well stating that I performed a proper break in. Hopefully either AAC or LoneWolf can get back to me for a solution.

Tighten up the can always...without exception.

Look....nice can.
Nice host...

You do not need to change a single spring.
You do not need to change your rod.

You need a barrel that is high quality and properly fit.

Those 150 rounds? We call that slam fitting. No way to go on a nice host like yours. Get thee to a gunsmith and get your new barrel properly fitted.

My gunsmith said Glock recalled the 17 gen 4 springs. I ordered a new guide rod and three different springs 15, 13, and 11. Lonewolf will refund costs if it is their barrel. I trust your advice RT. I'm just a little OCD about this and wanna try out everything. I will post up the results, the springs and guide rod are being over night shipped.

Damn, thought I did, guess not. Hopefully this thing gets resolved.

I think you are on the right path by changing the guide rod and springs honestly.

Glock does have a "recall" on the dual spring set up that they are using. They designed the dual springs for the 40 cal pistols and just used them in the 9mm .... well using them in the 9mm guns means that the 9mm's are over sprung. They issued a second spring which is lighter than the original spring BUT is still heavier than previous generation recoil springs.

Gen 3 is a 15 pound from the factory IIRC
Gen 4 1st spring is an 18 pound IIRC
Gen 4 2nd spring is a 17 pound IIRC
I bet with a 15 pound spring set up you will run fine.

There are companies out there that are making a bushing that goes in the slide that will allow you to use the old Gen 3 guide rods and spring set ups.

Thats the route im going to take. I purchased a steel guide rod, the gen 3 to gen 4 adapter, and the 15, 13, 11. I will try out all of them and see which performs best.

Try 147gr ammo.

A lone wolf barrel should not need to be fitted if you got their drop in model, I have one in my Gen4 G22 and it runs like a top. Are you using some oil before you go out to shoot? I did not need to modify anything on the pistol other then drop the barrel in, install tall sights to clear the can and let it ride.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 147gr ammo.

A lone wolf barrel should not need to be fitted if you got their drop in model, I have one in my Gen4 G22 and it runs like a top. Are you using some oil before you go out to shoot? I did not need to modify anything on the pistol other then drop the barrel in, install tall sights to clear the can and let it ride. </div></div>

What Gen Glock? 3?

That it doesn't happen when the can shoots loose gives me to wonder if it's pressure-related. I have a piston AR that wouldn't extract when run suppressed until I had the gas port in the barrel opened up. Because the can was causing chamber pressure to remain elevated until the bullet was further downrange, the casing was still sufficiently obturated to resist extraction when the bolt began trying to move rearward.

I know a Glock isn't gas-operated (Duh!) but it seems to me the only difference when it works is that there's some gas leaking past the mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had the same issue.. my glock fired fine with no can (tundra) but would catch the spent <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3366FF">bullet</span></span> with the can attached

I used a little wire pulling gel on the booster or LID and made sure to lubricate my glock.

it worked fine with 115gr 124gr and 147gr after that.

</div></div>

In the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think that means what you think it means."

I would try different ammo too.

I have a Gen 3 17C with a Lonewolf barrel, stock guide rod and spring, and an EVO-9 and it runs great with 147gr handloads. I load them hot but of course they're subsonic. Really never had a problem with this setup as long as the piston and bearing surface inside can are fairly clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try 147gr ammo.

A lone wolf barrel should not need to be fitted if you got their drop in model, I have one in my Gen4 G22 and it runs like a top. Are you using some oil before you go out to shoot? I did not need to modify anything on the pistol other then drop the barrel in, install tall sights to clear the can and let it ride. </div></div>

Im gonna try some 147GR federal today and see if i get any different results.

Well today was weird. Loaded a mag of federal 147, racked the slide and it ran perfectly. Released the mag and loaded the 158 grain and it ran perfectly. Now I am sort of confused. Happy, but confused.

Maybe It wasn't lubricated enough, or maybe when re assembling the can after lubing it the piston housing with all of those holes was in a way that allowed for optimal pressure for the host. I dont know, but the springs are still on the way and I will be looking forward to experimenting with those and seeing how I like the performance.

Thanks for all the replies, great advice, and solutions. I will keep them in mind if i run into future problems.