• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Good Range finder for the money?

allghilliedup04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
Salem, Oregon
So im wanting a range finder that reaches at least 1000yds. Ive look into the Leupold rx 100 tbr and was wondering what peoples thoughts and opinions are.

Is it a good range finder for the price (350 i found it for) or are there better ones for near the same price range?

Re: Good Range finder for the money?

I have heard that leupolds range finders are not that great. They might be fixing their issues though. With optics you get what you pay for and if you go cheap you'll end up paying for it. What do you intend to use it for? Hunting or target shooting?

You mean 1000 yards every time, not on the best day, right? So you probably need something with nominal range exceeding the 1000 yard range. If you go with Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski, you can be sure they will do it. My Leica 1600 is sweet, although it costs a bit more.

I've had my Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC rangefinding binos for about a year now. I have been totally satisfied. They are a little more than the $350 range you listed but have a new cost less than what the others have suggested. I used them when shooting prairie dogs and ranging out to 800-900 yards on Yuca plants and mounds was not too difficult. Beyond that I had to have my elbows anchored pretty good to keep the binos very still so it would pick up the laser return. On bigger objects, such as buildings, 1600 yds plus without difficulty.

If you are going to be using it from a more static position Precision Rifle Solutions has a very nice platform and tripod for these at around $60 delivered. In my opinion this is a tough to beat combo for the price range.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/fusion/

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2901124

There are plenty of other great options, just sharing my experience.

HTH

ill be using it for both, hunting and target shooting but mostly hunting. ill look into the bushnell cause i know those other suggested are way outta my price range.

just worries me cause we had a pair of bushnell range finders in afghan ( no idea where they came from cause its not issued!) they were garbage though, we couldnt even get it out to 300 yds, and we had about 10 pairs of them to make sure it wastn one lemon.. needless to say we left them behind when we went on missions. no idea what model it was though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: allghilliedup04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ill be using it for both, hunting and target shooting but mostly hunting. ill look into the bushnell cause i know those other suggested are way outta my price range.

just worries me cause we had a pair of bushnell range finders in afghan ( no idea where they came from cause its not issued!) they were garbage though, we couldnt even get it out to 300 yds, and we had about 10 pairs of them to make sure it wastn one lemon.. needless to say we left them behind when we went on missions. no idea what model it was though </div></div>

I've ranged targets out to 1650 with my 1600ARC's, thats as far as I have tried.

I bought the Swarovski 8x30. Love them. Amazingly consistent. I've tried it on known distances under all sorts of weather and light conditions and get consistent yardage reads. They're more expensive, but worth it if you are looking for reliable long range performance.

I have the Bushnell ARC 1600 and can usually range targets out to 1000 yards. Battery strength is a big issue I have found out. It seems that if the batteries are not full strength, it is hard to even range a 1000 yard target. I usually keep an extra battery in the pack. Especially on a hunting trip.

I'm very happy with my Leica 1200CF. Glass is great, you can actually use it as a 4x monocular and it's ranged every thing I've needed to date. Only "problem" may be that it's small enough that it's hard to hold on long range targets.

I have a leupold rx1000 and it is crap. I've put it side by side with the Zeiss PRF and the Zeiss blew it out of the water. It seems I have trouble ranging much past 400 yds with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a leupold rx1000 and it is crap. I've put it side by side with the Zeiss PRF and the Zeiss blew it out of the water. It seems I have trouble ranging much past 400 yds with mine. </div></div>

I have the same Leupold, it works like you said to 400 or 450 then won't lock on to further ranges, paid too much for it to, wish I had listened to the salesman and got the Zeiss but I was trying to be cheap, buy once cry once......

I love my zeiss prf. Its been great so far. I have been using it for about 6 months now and havnt had one problem.

Check out Bushnell ARC I've got one for hunting and its got Archery and Rifle settings and adjusts the range for the angle your shooting at.

Hard to go wrong with the Leica 1200 for 1K range.