• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

hit the gong at a mile today !!

tim3gun

Commander
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2004
Goodyear, AZ
5 of us at work shot a 6.5-284 w/ NF 5.5x22 at a mile today with hits on the man gong. The projo takes almost 3 seconds to get there. We used a GPS from gong to shooting spot for range measurements. We are calling it a training day.

Re: hit the gong at a mile today !!

How many rounds did you fire, and how many hit the target?
What was the required elevation from a 100-yard zero (or whatever zero you started with)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....steel is now NOT safe in AZ... </div></div>It is, if it is carrying evidence of its legal status in the US.
laugh.gif

It's a nice feeling, isn't it?
smile.gif

How much MOA did it take to get there? What is an acceptable group at that range?

Nice work Tim, it's addicting, what direction did you travel to shoot.

we took turns with one gun. I shot 4 rounds with a hit on #4, the other guys shot 3 or 4 each. When we hit it was another guys turn and the rest of us spotted. It wasnt my rifle but it was a Rem 700 in 6.5-284 from a 100 yard zero I think he put in 64 MOA. we had 1 MOA right on the glass with a 3to9 4mph wind but spin drift kept us pretty close. The wind shifted a few times while watching the mirage. I had a USO 15x45x spotting scope with GAP ret. also there was a Conus 60x ? and another spotter one of the other guys owns. It was a good day at work.
smile.gif
JTG, we are south of Buckeye, AZ on hwy 85 twards I-8 and Gila Bend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much MOA did it take to get there? What is an acceptable group at that range?</div></div>
Hitting a man size target at all even once at a mile IS a good group

FYW,

The Iowa 1K club record 5 shot group at a mile is 10.938" with a 33(out of 50)score.

I was there that day. Amazing.

Me and a buddy tried a mile a few weeks ago with our 260s. It took me 77 MOA to get there shooting 139s at around 2,830 fps. They were keyholing so I need to add a little more powder. He was shooting 123s at around 2900 fps and his hole were round. Don't know what his MOA was. We were shooting at a STOP sign attached to a 4'X 8' sheet of plywood.(The stop sign had been discarded by DPW). I got a hit on the sign and another on the plywood about 24" away. Didn't think a 260 could make it that far. Anyway it was fun.

alf, what was that guy shooting? That's one hell of a group. I would be happy with that at 1,000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alf, what was that guy shooting? That's one hell of a group. I would be happy with that at 1,000. </div></div>

7WSM, don't recall the bullet. Salvage action, Broughton barrel, I think, self built laminated heavy gun stock, and one of the micrometer ring/rail setups with, IIRC, 150 MOA, plus the scope's range too.

150 MOA base! WTF! I need that! Who makes that?

Hey alf, I found that base. A Variable Gantry Mount made by Chris Self in Al. Big base, might not be good for a tactical gun but for an extreme range plinker, it might be worth it.

Wasn't there a Hide member who put 5 rounds from a 7 SAUM (built by Roscoe) into 6" at a mile?

Still, OP, impressive and fun. Nothing like having time to eat a snack before you hear the hit.

How was the mirage Tim? It was bad enough at the 1k line this past weekend can't imagine it at a mile.

The mirage was rolling pretty good. You'll have to come out here and shoot with us sometime Matt. That 1000 yd match we shot Sunday was cool though. I shot a 173/200 on the 1st string, but it was my anniversary and I wanted to get home to LH GIna before she had to go to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim3gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> JTG, we are south of Buckeye, AZ on hwy 85 twards I-8 and Gila Bend. </div></div>

Have you guys got a 'range' out that way or is this a desert shoot?

Would you let a local 50 shooter come along? have a couple of 1" AR500 gongs i can bring
grin.gif

Have enaged the 1,800 and 1,100 at the western range (private event only) up by peoria airport.

~Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much MOA did it take to get there? What is an acceptable group at that range?</div></div>
Hitting a man size target at all even once at a mile IS a good group </div></div>

Last weekend at my facility we had a confirmed first round (cold bore) hit on a target at 1900 yards and a second round hit by another shooter on an upper torso at 1600 yards. Not all that impressive really, we do it all the time, on demand.

Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A Variable Gantry Mount made by Chris Self in Al.</div></div>

I know there's at least one other one out there like that, but the name escapes me. Not cheap, but can help eliminate extreme range sighting problems.

Augustis, What equipment was used ? I would have to disagree, it is impressive for anyone to hit a man size target even at 1000, when most shooters never shoot past 200 yards or have the location enabling a longer shot.

T3G

You HAVE to be kidding, right???

Then maybe we could agree, that "Most shooters" would be better served spending more time on a rifle in the field and a little less time on a computer keyboard then...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1125505&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1176841&page=1

We typically see a rather good percentage of the shooters that come to my place, at leased walk away with the fundamental ability to make shots at 1K with only basic instruction, the success rate is especially increased if we call conditions & corrections for them. The 1900 yard shot was accomplished by my shooting partner with a 375-CT, the 1600 yard engagement was made with a 7 WSM. In the later instance, the individual is a young man that hit his first 1000 yard target here only last year, I will never forget how excited he was back then. I believe because of the opportunity that exists here, that in some instances I provide to shooters, the investment of the volume of rounds he has sent down range since that time, and due to his personal dedication to LR-UKD field shooting he is ultimately developing the skill, confidence in his ability on a rifle & the "mindset" to reach further these days. A proud moment to be sure, but this year - on this shot, he showed no emotion what so ever. I observed at that instant he was cold as ice and did not appear to be effected in any way by the emotional impacts of success, or failure that can only be learned from time on a rifle pulling the trigger. He simply sent his first round down range & corrected per his spotters instructions (me) on the follow up shot, and ultimately punched the target about 5" left of dead center at 1600 yards. From this experience, his confidence will be that much greater at 1K next time, because in the back of his mind he knows his actual capability is much greater. In a lot of ways, shooting is, to the greater degree a mind game and the rest is developed by repetition of perfected motion and of course the development of field verified data. This works for us...

Best Regards, Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...it is impressive for anyone to hit a man size target even at 1000</div></div>

It's only impressive to someone who has never done it.

We rarely give anyone a target that large at Rifles Only. Most often they are shooting at a 11.75" X 22" plate or a smaller target. Aim small, miss small.

I was at Rifles Only for the 1st time a few months ago Lindy for the cup, great facility !! Aug, I agree with the fact that confidence in your abilities (skill set) and equipment are key to success. Repetition also plays part in achieving consistant hits at long ranges. From looking at the pics on the links you had in your comments, you have a very nice place to shoot, one that makes most people envious (me included). I'm no pro long range shooter and NOT a sniper at work OR when I was in the military. I just enjoy shooting close and far.

Tim
You are already on your way to becoming a LR shooter, because you are taking the first step that every journey begins with, you are doing it by stretching your limits and firing on targets at these extended ranges. You made a 4th round hit at a mile, that is FANTASTIC, next ask yourself, or take advantage of the wealth of knowledge that exists on this forum what it takes to make a first round hit... study external ballistics and ENV -MET factors that effect bullet flight down range. I believe our success is largely due to the number crunching we perform prior to taking the shot. The proof is that Joe & I have the ability to effectively engage ELR targets on demand & somehow manage to accomplish the objective more often than not. We are continually stretching our limits, learning - growing - training, all of us & if we ever arrive at a place where we believe we know everything and could not possibly learn anything new, we are already dead just to dumb to lye down... Keep shooting and analyzing the failures (misses), after all each & every round you send down range is the best teacher in this area. BTW, you are welcome to come shoot with us anytime we are hosting an event at AR, or come to one of our limited courses.

Best Regards, Aug ><>

Hey Tim,

Good shooting man! Allot of fun isn't it ?! Just hitting something that far away is rewarding no matter what.Especially doing it for the first time.

I don't know if you have knowledge about the 375CT's?
When I've shot both my 30-375Ruger wildcat(240 SMK's .668BC at 2925 FPS) side by side with my 375 CT(350 Hookers 1.1BC at 3050 FPS in the same "reasonable" wind conditions.I'm still amazed at how much easier it is to strike the steel at ELR distances with the 375CT.Mostly because the 375CT blows so much less in the wind compared to the 30 cal.

Honestly I can't claim to be proficient at 1st round hits with either rifle but I could see how the 375CT would make it much easier to do compared to most other chamberings.If someone had the time and money to shoot a 375CT regularly then WOW what accomplishments could be made.

I went out and shot with some Hide members recently out to a mile.We had 300WM,30-375R,338L and 375CT.When the wind was down first thing in the morning hitting the steel at nearly 1500 to 1700Y was no challenge at all with the 375CT.The other cartridges didn't have much trouble hitting either but definitely easier with the 375CT.However later when the wind got up to +- 20mph gusts it didn't matter who was shooting what cartridge.At that stage of the game it was a wild guess as to where the bullet would strike because the bullet was going through more than a few high speed and varying speed wind conditions on it's journey there.It was pretty much luck or best guess when we got it.

Steve

Steve. You are too modest my friend. You "neutralized" my target at 1200 yards on the first shot with your 375 CT. That counts in my book as first shot hit buddy. We need to get together again soon.

The solids definatly help thats for sure. Way too expensive to shoot at that distance which is why I am running the 350 SMK'S.They seem to shoot pretty fair in my rifle anyway out to around 2600 depending on how heavy the air is. I've found they fly about like a 300 grain SMK IN THE .338. Had a great spotter, makes a huge difference.Thank's Aug,6 MOA right got the job done anyway.
Congrats on the mile shot,that's awesome. Keep stretching it out and that mile gets closer all the time. 2000 is just over the hill from a mile you know.I hope to hell it still makes me grin a little to cold bore at a mile. It's a tough shot if you can hit the center no matter how big the target is or what rifle and cartrige you use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve. You are too modest my friend. You "neutralized" my target at 1200 yards on the first shot with your 375 CT. That counts in my book as first shot hit buddy. We need to get together again soon. </div></div>

That was the most gratifying neutralization I've ever done
grin.gif

Looking forward to our next ELR! It's been too darn windy this spring.Arrrg

Steve

LH Gina and I would be interested in a camp out in the northern AZ territories for some LR-ELR shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ashland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">150 MOA base! WTF! I need that! Who makes that? </div></div>

Ivy makes them

Ivy

Thanks kd. Anyone on the Hide use these or any other base like that?

Has anyone shot out at a mile with anything heavy like a 50 or 408? What kind of loads were you using? Bullet weights, mfg's,
Thanks

Personally, I have recorded more than a couple shots at over a mile employing a 50. I am running the 750 A Max bullet. A mile (1760 yards) just does not look that far anymore, or at leased as far as it did once upon a time... even though I will admit it is still a pretty good poke. Presently developing field verified data & working well beyond that range at this time & learning that math errors are costly (private joke, you had to be there).
I think my partner Joe said it best, "keep stretching it out & the mile gets closer all the time" & confidence is gained by doing it until you get all the required factors right the first time & ingrained in your mind that you can get the job done on demand.

Aug ><>

Sounds like a hell of a good shot to me.

Nice shooting. Not hard to do if you've got good equipment. Amazes me how folks just stare at you when you tell them you've hit steel at a mile. Used a 190 SMK out of a 300 RUM and knocked down a Larue target at a mile.

I hit it with my .260. 12 " circle but it took me 14 times before I hit it. I was dancing around it . When I hit it the 2nd time (19th shot) I quit on (my) high note. 142 SMK 28" kreiger bbl surgeon m591 45 grns h4831sc win 7mm-08 brass. NF 5.5x22x56 mcmillian a5. Got a 6.5x284 shehane with a 32'bbl in a maxi tracker stock I want to try with soon to see how that works.

Thats great IMO I wish we even had half that distance here to shoot. Congrats on a great shot and hopefully one day I can say the same about myself....Join the MILE LONG CLUB LOL!!!

Aloha!

Sounds like a blast. I wish there were more places to do that kind of shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally, I have recorded more than a couple shots at over a mile employing a 50. I am running the 750 A Max bullet. A mile (1760 yards) just does not look that far anymore, or at leased as far as it did once upon a time... even though I will admit it is still a pretty good poke. Presently developing field verified data & working well beyond that range at this time & learning that math errors are costly (private joke, you had to be there).
I think my partner Joe said it best, "keep stretching it out & the mile gets closer all the time" & confidence is gained by doing it until you get all the required factors right the first time & ingrained in your mind that you can get the job done on demand.

Aug ><> </div></div>

Aug,

When is your next shoot? Had a few issues with my rig and missed your last one, but made 1st shot hits at 1100 and 1300 yeterday, so confidence is back. Very much want to shoot with you guys. (Perhaps you can help me with my wind
wink.gif
)

John

John
The next shoot date is June 26th & 27th. The events are now limited to 12 shooters per day to afford Joe & I some trigger time together & to work with some of the shooters that request our assistance. At the last event we managed to record a second round hit @ 1900 yards in 8 MPH full value wind. The first shot was centered up but went high do to what I suspect was a condition that we missed due to mirage, most likely an updraft that Joe ultimately identified by watching the dust signature from the first bullet splash behind the target, after the hold off correction call, wham bam thank you Joe, you are the man!
I am still working on field data verification, so this also could have come into play...

We had 4 TOTALLY green LR shooters last go, on the second day all of them managed to record hits on targets at 1080 yards with Joe and I calling field conditions & corrections for them. There were 2 other shooters last weekend that got their 1000+ yard cherries popped so there were lots of smiles to go around for those that attended last weekend. Congrats on your recent engagements! 1300 yards, WOW, I feel one mile in your future if your bullet has enough ooomph to get there, maybe next month ;O) Register early as slots are limited next month!

Later, Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John
The next shoot date is June 26th & 27th.
Later, Aug ><> </div></div>

Thanks Aug,

I'll let you know soon if I can go.

We're heading out in a week or so to try 1500 and 1 mile. JBM says my 208's are SS to just short of 2000 yds. @ 4000' ASL. I think we'll be good.
grin.gif

What caliber are you using for your 1900? That's quite an accomplishment!

ETA: Oh, just saw it was your 50.

John