• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hog Saddle/Manfrotto vs RRS Vyce/rifle mount

tex68w

Mister Bevilaqua
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2017
    So it's become obvious that the 1.5" dove tail system from RRS is the bees knees and the must have kit, but how much better is it than a Hog Saddle and a quality tripod like a Manfrotto or something similar? I need a setup for a new rifle on its way home soon and I need to hear some real life reports on these items before I sink my hard earned money into kit that I don't want to have to upgrade for a while. Thanks for the input.

I am currently running a RRS ball head on a set of Manfrotto legs, while being able to direct mount offers a huge advantage over the Hog Saddle, the Manfrotto sticks are definitely holding the set up back.

When I can, I will definitely be upgrading to RRS legs. I am a professional photographer, and between that and shooting have never seen gear built to the same quality as RRS.

I'm using the BH-55 on Induro GIT-204 legs after I found my Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2 to be insufficient for rifle usage. I have the VYCE as well as a mount adapter on my AICS.

Documented here: https://www.ocabj.net/rifle-shooting...uff-equipment/ (photo heavy)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4367\/36104210380_22cbb5f5db_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4307\/35971982936_68e97a344a_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The problem is not the hog saddle, that is as perfect solution for many, including the pig saddle. The RRS Vyce is smoother to operate and I believe might be a tick wider, but you would be hard pressed to go wrong with either option.

The tripoid legs are the issue. Most are using a Manfrotto that is only rated for 15LBS vs the RRS tripods, even the Feisol that are rated for much, much more. 50LBS on average. The new Tripods from Hog Saddle, are better they are rated for 40LBS and only cost about $150 more than the typical Manfrotto.

Back where this was a one off shot, the Manfrotto tripods were fine, but since moving to the better ones, and shooting them a lot more often you quickly see and feel the problems of the Manfrotto. Do they work, of course they do, but not nearly as effective as the tripods rated to hold more. It goes beyond just the rifle, it's the balance, the recoil, the shooter's weight or lack of, all play a part into the shot.

I recommend for those who don't want to spend RRS money, too buy a set of legs from Hog Saddle and then use the RRS ball heads. If you get the Feisol you can use the leveling base from RRS on that set of legs. It's a compromise as the RRS is tits, but the combination of Hog Saddle and RRS together is about the same money as doing it on the cheap, and it works much better.

Consider this, even the smaller RRS legs are rated higher than the Manfrotto ones most are using. If you look too, there are equivalent Manfrotto legs to the RRS ones, but they cost the same money (a clue there) so nobody ventured that far until RRS came along.

I also dont recommend skimping on the ball head, the knock off heads are not nearly as good or easy to use as the RRS, and compared to the competition you are not saving enough to skip the RRS heads.

Simply put RRS gear is THE SHIT!
    Feisol tripods are a lower cost alternative but as Lowlight stated, there is NO substitute for the RRS head units.

If you are in the buy once camp then RRS all the way, otherwise get the Feisol tripod and RRS head and upgrade as you see fit.

I'm new to tripods, so let me see if i have this right as the best budget options:

PIG0311-G field tripod
    RRS-BH-55 LR SOAR series ballhead
    RRS VYCE or one of the RRS auxillary plates
    or instead of the VYCE or auxillary plates, a HOG saddle.

Is this the setup that the OP is asking for? Thank you for starting this thread, I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm new to tripods, so let me see if i have this right as the best budget options:

PIG0311-G field tripod
    RRS-BH-55 LR SOAR series ballhead
    RRS VYCE or one of the RRS auxillary plates
    or instead of the VYCE or auxillary plates, a HOG saddle.

Is this the setup that the OP is asking for? Thank you for starting this thread, I've been wondering the same thing.

This is the recommended budget set up ... at least my recommendation having shot them all

The Feisol is also a choice, but it's a straight up knock off of the RRS stuff.

You guys cannot purchase your way out of practicing.

At the NRL match in Colorado, we had multiple tripod heavy stages. I saw guys with $1300+ worth of tripods missing just the same as guys with $300 worth or tripods. I ran a Manfrotto 4 section CF tripod and did good. Would an RRS be more stable? Sure. Would it get me more points? No. Last stage I went 7/7 in full value wind and timed out after 90 seconds. Use what you have and practice.

The Feisol is also a choice, but it's a straight up knock off of the RRS stuff.
    Aren't they all Bogen / Gitzo knockoffs anyway?

Reactions: jwood1284
    You guys cannot purchase your way out of practicing.

At the NRL match in Colorado, we had multiple tripod heavy stages. I saw guys with $1300+ worth of tripods missing just the same as guys with $300 worth or tripods. I ran a Manfrotto 4 section CF tripod and did good. Would an RRS be more stable? Sure. Would it get me more points? No. Last stage I went 7/7 in full value wind and timed out after 90 seconds. Use what you have and practice.

Aren't they all Bogen / Gitzo knockoffs anyway?

Practice is key, but you can seriously tell the difference between them... practicing just minimizes the extra effort needed.

By saying you saw guys with expensive set ups do worse or just as good doesn't tell us anything and re-inforces what you said, odds are they did not put in the time. But learning how the tripod responds to your set up and how you address, you can manage the hits better. The increased stability is evident, those making any practice easier and more meaningful vs struggling and having to work harder to get the hits

Tripods are a mainstay and we can certainly see what works better... you're not saying anything new or helpful to be honest. Practice is a given and nobody here suggested you can buy a hit, only that better equipment helps.

Maybe you should just use a 308 in these matches, it's just practice, you know fear the man with one gun kinda thing. If all it takes is a bit of practice everyone would still be shooting the 308.

That's not the point and you know it. Guys on this site often think they can buy their way to success. We know that has never been true. How did we survive the Steel Safari before all these fancy tripods were introduced? We ran had we had and practiced.

Nobody is suggesting you can buy success, I don't see that anywhere in this discussion ... I see a breakdown of the facts based on end user experience.

10 years ago nobody was shooting 6.5CM, 6 Dasher, etc, but today very few are shooting a 308... shit changes and those changes have value.

It's great you love your set up and have learned to work successfully with it, but guess what, this has been tested to death, you have greater accuracy with a set up that can actually handle the the rifles better. Weight Ratings matter, and by testing this we see it takes less effort to not only get on target, but stay on target with a tripod that offers more stability and support. You're denying shit progresses and would rather guys, "do it like they did 3 years ago" vs starting out on the right foot with better equipment.

Shit I remember when the Manfrotto 055 was basically the gold standard for tripods to shoot off of. Not sure if you can, but if you can ever search old posts from the original SH, you'd find a ton of 'what tripod' and everyone would tell you 1 of 2 Manfrotto's with a few SLIK fans in the mix.

I have and use the 055 with the rifle but its always been one of those pieces of equipment I thought I could upgrade, but always figured it would have diminishing returns or I'd basically be trading one set of problems for another. After changing over to high end plates and working with some ArcaSwiss stuff recently, I'm now less inclined at laughing at people about 1k+ tripods and have really been considering a RRS as I use a tripod all of the time in the terrain I'm in. I've also tried out one of the more expensive Feisol's this year and its a bit of a love/hate thing, primarily to how the legs lock which give me the herding cats feeling sometimes when deploying it.

With that said, just as with scopes in the TT thread, you buying the more expensive item isn't going to turn that miss into a hit.

What the Manfrotto is still great at is for use with a spotter, especially if you have a mechanical head.

Shit I remember when the Manfrotto 055 was basically the gold standard for tripods to shoot off of. Not sure if you can, but if you can ever search old posts from the original SH, you'd find a ton of 'what tripod' and everyone would tell you 1 of 2 Manfrotto's with a few SLIK fans in the mix.

I....

And it wasn't that long ago either. Sometimes there are big leaps in available equipment tech. The last five years have been amazing with respect to the increase in long range shooting tech, availability of product and new choices in almost all aspects.

I'm using the BH-55 on Induro GIT-204 legs after I found my Manfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2 to be insufficient for rifle usage. I have the VYCE as well as a mount adapter on my AICS.

Documented here: https://www.ocabj.net/rifle-shooting...uff-equipment/ (photo heavy)

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4367\/36104210380_22cbb5f5db_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4307\/35971982936_68e97a344a_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Thanks for the informative post! Loved the photography and quality of your videos, very well explained. If anyone needs help with tripods, I'll direct them to this thread. It's interesting you said the VYCE felt better during recoil.

I want to thank everyone that contributed to this thread, I really didn't expect this much of response in such short order. It is pretty evident that at a minimum I should buy the RRS head, I'll likely add the AIAX aux plate to that mix as well. I'll have to see if the pocketbook can afford the RRS tripod too. In regards to the poster that referenced this as in spending more to buy hits, that's not at all what is going on here. I have no setup at the moment, so I have to buy something and I'd rather buy once, cry once.

Well, I only have one of the combinations about which you've inquired - The RRS combo. There's just no efficient way to describe how happy I am with the RRS gear.

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

IMG_3355_1.jpg

Reactions: Vargmat
    Well, I only have one of the combinations about which you've inquired - The RRS combo. There's just no efficient way to describe how happy I am with the RRS gear.

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3355_1.jpg

:p drool

Hi ,
    Interesting thread with good informations! I know about RRS ball head that are the best, but what is your opinion about SUNWAYPHOTO
    GNN XB-52DL Ball Head ? Somebody use this ball head and what do you think if it will be use together with PIG0311-G field tripod ?
    Thanks!

If you want a budget setup, look at the Leofoto 364C and 55mm ballhead. Interesting when people bring up threads that are two years old, but that’s ok. If you really want to see what works, and what people are using, just try to come out to a match. Lots of toys to look at there.

If you want a budget setup, look at the Leofoto 364C and 55mm ballhead. Interesting when people bring up threads that are two years old, but that’s ok. If you really want to see what works, and what people are using, just try to come out to a match. Lots of toys to look at there.
    I just bought this setup, only issue I don’t have arca on all my rifles would I be better off then to buy the hog saddle to go on this?

If you want a budget setup, look at the Leofoto 364C and 55mm ballhead. If you really want to see what works, and what people are using, just try to come out to a match. Lots of toys to look at there.
    Thanks for the tip! About the match , I would gladly come but is a little difficult for me.... to many miles from Europe. I follow closely the NRL - Precision Rifle videos wich are very interesting!

Another question please regarding the tripods, between the Leofoto 364C and FEISOL Elite Tripod CT-3372 M2 which do you consider the best fit for shooting aplication?
    Thanks again!

I run the fiesol 3372 with a fiesol leveling base/ rrs arca clamp. It works well. I did not realize it was a rrs knock off, but it seems to run very well. I did not like shooting from a ball head, and very much prefer a leveling base with a handle, not knob or lever.

Reactions: GeKados
    I run the fiesol 3372 with a fiesol leveling base/ rrs arca clamp. It works well. I did not realize it was a rrs knock off, but it seems to run very well. I did not like shooting from a ball head, and very much prefer a leveling base with a handle, not knob or lever.
    Thanks. I have in mind to go either with Feisol 3372 + Anvil 30 (from RRS) or with Leofoto LN 364C + Anvil 30 (from RRS).
    After seeing how will this system perform , I can buy a budget leveling base to test it.

My problem with the hog saddle is if you have a heavy/wide ass rifle stock to screw between the clamps it is lopsided and is annoying as shit.
    I tried the RRS universal leveling base with the arca clamp on top and it’s just lighter, lower and simpler to just clamp it to the rifle.
    I’ll probably give my saddle to my BFF and get the vyce or add the arca clamp to the level base and putt and arca rail section on the bottom of my rifles I shoot off tripods.