• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I need 2 stage trigger advice

SWWI Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2018
I have a new KRG 2 stage trigger on the way for my TIkka. I haven't used a 2 stage much and am looking for advice on what weight to adjust the two stages. This will mainly be a hunting trigger with some long range target shooting thrown in. Obviously, a lot of personal preference comes into play but please give me some ideas as to how you like yours adjusted so I have a starting spot. I guess I'm wondering if you like a lighter first stage and heavier second. Heavier first and a light second, 50/50 for the stages, etc...What say ye?

It’s gonna come down to your personal “feel” in your finger while operating the trigger. For a hunting rifle, I would set the second stage heavy enough where you can confidently “hit” the wall without “breaking through” it accidentally.

For some people that might be 1 pound, for others it could be 3 pounds.

First stage, in my opinion, is not very important. The “wall” in the second stage is what is important, at least to me.

Play with the settings til your heart/trigger finger are content.

I personally go 1 pound first stage and 1 pound second stage on the 2 stage trigger I run. My adjustable single stage trigger is set to 1 pound, which helps with keeping the same “feel” of the trigger break when switching rifles.

Reactions: Trek
I'm using different triggers, but most of mine are around 1.5 - 1.75lb total weight.
The first stage is usually 0.5 - 0.75 lb
with the second stage being 1lb.

Thanks to all of the responses. I got my KRG trigger for the TIkka in the mail yesterday. Played with it a bit last night with the goal of ending up about 1 # and 1# but I think that it will only go down to about 1.25 # on the second stage. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it but from what I can tell, it won't go lower than that without the screw coming out . The first stage is about 1/2 # so maybe if I adjust the first stage higher, I can get the second stage lower. We shall see.

I like a really light trigger, but I got the Timney Calvin Elite two-stage on my match rifle and the factory setting of 8oz (first stage) and 1 lb (second stage) is about perfect. That’s just my opinion. I like the light first stage for when I’m on target, then when I’m exactly where I want to be, I squeeze off the second stage. No surprises.

Thanks to all of the responses. I got my KRG trigger for the TIkka in the mail yesterday. Played with it a bit last night with the goal of ending up about 1 # and 1# but I think that it will only go down to about 1.25 # on the second stage. I didn't have a lot of time to play with it but from what I can tell, it won't go lower than that without the screw coming out . The first stage is about 1/2 # so maybe if I adjust the first stage higher, I can get the second stage lower. We shall see.
KRG's manual states not to go below 2.5lbs for overall total

I tend to favor my 2 stage trigger with 2.5/1.5. There's just something comforting about being able to hold it right at the wall before the last 1.5lbs of pull

Reactions: MarinePMI