• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Inner and outer elbow pain....what to do?

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Hi Gang.
About 1 1/2 months ago I started having really sharp pain on my right outer elbow while doing curls. It came up out of the blue. But I then recalled that I fell and caught myself on my right arm and thought that might be the cause.
I took a few weeks off from lifting, but recently started back doing bench, pushups, standing EZ bar curls and dumbbell curls. I am using about half the weight for my curls and about 50 lbs lighter on my top set of bench presses.

Ok...I hear you out there...why not go see the doc??? Well I do not have health insurance so when I do I have to pay out of pocket. And I really do not have the extra $$$ right now.

The pain has gone down some, but I still have pain on the outer elbow that feels like it is in the bone. And then on the inner elbow that gives me a burning/tight sensations when doing curls.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,Stan

I agree with the above post. Elbow tendonitis. I get it often from over training tris and bis just let it rest and it will go away.

I get it from over training, usually when I start doing too many reps I get the same pain. Try icing followed by heat 5 min each for a total of 20 min. I would also start using lifting straps to take some of the stress off the forearm. You should also evaluate your routine and movements to figure out what is hurting you and either stop doing it or change how you are doing it to reduce the stress. It sucks but you should be able to work your way through it with out a Doc, just be smart.

Thank you for the great info guys. It sucks getting old(er) (turned 43 on the 1st). And not being able to do complete workouts just makes things even more of a bummer for me.

I hope this will help.

Take care,Stan

Sounds like tendonitis to me too. I had it in my elbow a few months ago and found out incline bench was making it worse. I can incline with dumbells but with a barbell it put stress in a different way I guess and hurt bad. It took months for it to go away but has been good lately. I also had it in my knee (IT Band) which I am still working on but it is getting better. Ice and ibuprofen help as well as rest. It was hard because with my job I kept irritating it and seemed like it took forever. Light weights and lots of reps seemed to work well to keep working out and not completely giving up.

You may also want to look into KT tape (get the pro series). It has helped me recover faster form a few injuries.

If its tendinitis of the outer elbow its easy to tell. Hold your hand out palm down parallel with the floor, use your other hand to push your finger towards the floor, while pushing your up hard with your fingers. If the middle finger triggers the pain in your elbow its tendinitis. I stayed out of the gym and tried therapy for 2 months, didn't help. Went back to the gym and did only compound excercises and stretching and it got better....