• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Kestrel 5700 w/ Hornady 4DOF

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com

KESTREL BALLISTICS & HORNADY® JOIN FORCES TO LAUNCH NEW BALLISTICS WEATHER METER WITH 4DOF® SOLVER

New advanced handheld meter for long-range hunters and shooters offers next-level accuracy for first-round hits at extended ranges

BOOTHWYN, PA – April 23, 2019 Kestrel Ballistics, the leading brand in rugged American-built weather meters and long-range shooting accessories, has partnered with Hornady, premier manufacturer of bullets, ammunition, reloading tools and more, to launch an all-new advanced ballistics weather meter for hunters and shooters. The Kestrel 5700 Ballistics Weather Meter with Hornady 4DOF will debut at the 2019 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits in Indianapolis and be available to pre-order online. Visit the Hornady booth #5251 on Friday, April 25 at 12PM EDT to witness the unveiling of the all-new Kestrel 5700 with 4DOF ($499) and learn about how this unit can help shooters achieve first-round hits at nearly any distance.

Combining reliable onsite environmental measurements with precise Hornady 4DOF trajectory solutions – this all-in-one, compact unit is fully functional as a complete, durable tool for long-range precision shooting. The integrated Hornady 4DOF Ballistic engine provides trajectory solutions based on projectile Drag Coefficient along with the exact physical modeling of the projectile and its mass and aerodynamic properties. Coupled with features like zero angle and aerodynamic jump calculation it is ideal for long-range calculations. Leave the phone behind, and forget about apps – now hunters and shooters can focus on the shot, without the distraction of fumbling with a phone in the field. Accounting for all environmental and ballistic variables that affects bullet trajectory over distance, the Kestrel with integrated 4DOF solver quickly and accurately delivers dead-on aiming solutions for any rifle or round. Stop by the Kestrel Ballistics booth #3464 at the NRA exhibition to see demos of the unit.

• Accurate Environmentals – Measures wind speed and direction, temperature, altitude, and more
    • G1/G7 Ballistics Solver– Large library of independently tested bullet data
    • User-Friendly– Easy operation for outdoor use with large buttons for navigating screens and entering information along with bright, clear backlit display readable in direct sunlight or low light situations
    • Rugged, All-Weather Durability-- IP-67 Waterproof, MIL-STD-810 drop-tested, and backed by a 5-Year Warranty
    • Long-lasting Power- Powered by 1 AA Lithium battery, expect hundreds of hours of use from a reliable tool that won’t quit when you need it most
    • Load & Go Convenience – Set up a Gun Profile via the free Kestrel LiNK app, then the Kestrel unit is field-ready allowing users to calculate trajectories under any conditions, even in areas without cellular service

To preorder and for additional information on the Kestrel 5700 Ballistics Weather Meter with Hornady 4DOF, please visit HornadyKestrel.com.

About Kestrel Ballistics

Kestrel Instruments & Ballistics Meters are designed, built and tested in the USA by parent company, Nielsen-Kellerman. Renowned for their accuracy and reliability, Kestrel meters and data loggers are the preferred tool for environmental monitoring by professionals in firefighting, military, meteorology, athletic heat stress management, and other demanding markets. Employed by thousands of users in hundreds of challenging activities around the world, all Kestrel meters are compact, rugged, IP-67 waterproof, MIL-STD-810G drop-tested and backed by an industry-leading five-year warranty. For more information about Kestrel Ballistics, visit www.kestrelballistics.com

About Hornady

Founded in 1949, Hornady Manufacturing Company is a family owned business headquartered in Grand Island, Nebraska. Proudly manufacturing products that are made in the USA, Hornady Manufacturing is a world leader in bullet, ammunition, reloading tool and accessory design and manufacturer. For more information, visit www.Hornady.com.

I didn't find any info about multiple gun profiles. Anyone have anything?

So for a guy shooting a bullet that Hornady doesn’t have 4DOF data on, this kestrel would still have the ability to plug in a BC and get a firing solution that way, correct?

So for a guy shooting a bullet that Hornady doesn’t have 4DOF data on, this kestrel would still have the ability to plug in a BC and get a firing solution that way, correct?

I’m guessing it works like the app. I’ve been using FGMM 168s and the app works great just plugging in my info and generating comeups.

I recently sold my Kestrel since I generally just use the 4DOF app and extrapolate weather data from the closest airport’s METAR, which seems to work well without costing me anything. But I have missed getting weather data from RIGHT where I’m at, including accurate winds. That, plus the robust physical form factor, better battery life, less distraction, etc. This may be a nice option for a good but less. I’m definitely following this thread...

Is Kestrel dropping AB or both software will still being offered?
    There are now 5 Kestrel ballistic meters 2700 basic ballistics , 5700 with AB, 5700 with 4DOF, 5700 Ruger with AB and the Elite with AB. Also, don't forget our earlier announcement on the HUD also due mid year.

Last edited:
    I already have the AB Elite. Any way to change to the 4DOF software? And any way to switch back and forth? Dual boot?

Using the code posted above will put it at $425 for pre-order.

I already have AB, so I’ll be sticking with this one. But this is a good price.

yes with ab, but also as u know has ab lite built in, not sure if that would F with anything or does it simply cancel out software in binos

I’d imagine all it would do is transmit the range to the kestrel.

That’s all my terrapin does. But the terrapin also doesn’t have any onboard software.

Reactions: LastShot300
    I’d imagine all it would do is transmit the range to the kestrel.

That’s all my terrapin does. But the terrapin also doesn’t have any onboard software.

word, Ill hit up the reps later today. I'm sure it will work just verifying, thanks for the 15%code;)

• Love
    Reactions: b6graham
    Glad I found this thread. Im was going shopping for a meter this weekend. I hate shopping! Off to Kestrel website.
    Thx Lowlight!

Reactions: Mike4837
    Will this be sold by just Kestrel or Hornady or both? Wondering if it’ll be any easier to get these on the shelf’s or ordered through other distribution?

Reactions: freeflight
    yes with ab, but also as u know has ab lite built in, not sure if that would F with anything or does it simply cancel out software in binos
    When the 3000BDX is in ABX mode I am pretty sure it is just ignoring the software built into the unit and is simply giving the range to the Kestrel and the Kestral is giving the firing solution back to the RF.

Reactions: Redeye3
    That Revic/Gunwerks offshoot smartphone style model better faster the fuck up and get to market.

While I am not a fan of the Kestral input methods, and 5(?) line range card, the option for 4DOF (which I finally got to work on 1 rifle) looks like a no brainer.

What is the expiration date on that coupon code?

Well, the coupon code suckered me in, so I'm on the preorder list. I've been using my 4500 for years and AB has always been spot on for me. I've tried the 4DOF a handful of times, but never really used it, since AB worked so well for me. I shot a match last weekend and just happened to remember the data from a few of my stages. I entered all the data (atmospherics, bullet data, etc) into 4DOF and it looks VERY!!!!! close to what I remember AB giving me, so I'll give it a try

I really don’t know if it will BT the corrections to the Leica.

There - I got my answer

This is from the FAQ page:

Because not all laser rangefinder manufacturers use the Kestrel Ballistics Bluetooth Protocol to talk to a Kestrel, the Hornady Kestrel cannot communicate with some rangefinders which can talk to our existing ballistics meters. The Hornady Kestrel can currently communicate with the following rangefinders.

• Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com
    • Vectronix Terrapin X
    • Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX

If you have a laser rangefinder with Bluetooth LE which you would like to have communicate with one of our Kestrel meters please contact the manufacturer and ask them to implement the Kestrel Ballistics Protocol in their rangefinder

This is from the FAQ page:

Because not all laser rangefinder manufacturers use the Kestrel Ballistics Bluetooth Protocol to talk to a Kestrel, the Hornady Kestrel cannot communicate with some rangefinders which can talk to our existing ballistics meters. The Hornady Kestrel can currently communicate with the following rangefinders.

• Leica Rangemaster CRF 2800.com
    • Vectronix Terrapin X
    • Bushnell Elite 1 Mile CONX
    If you have a laser rangefinder with Bluetooth LE which you would like to have communicate with one of our Kestrel meters please contact the manufacturer and ask them to implement the Kestrel Ballistics Protocol in their rangefinder
    thank you - I see it will connect but will the solution display in the 2800 glass?

OK, maybe i'm missing something here. Here is my question, couldn't one use a 5700 w/ Link to get the Kestrel data into the 4DOF app on one's phone app and then use the app to get your firing solution data? I'm I just pay an extra $100 to do it all on the Kestrel? I get it, you only have to interface with one device, but i'm still curious if you need to spend the extra to get the same functionality.

OK, maybe i'm missing something here. Here is my question, couldn't one use a 5700 w/ Link to get the Kestrel data into the 4DOF app on one's phone app and then use the app to get your firing solution data? I'm I just pay an extra $100 to do it all on the Kestrel? I get it, you only have to interface with one device, but i'm still curious if you need to spend the extra to get the same functionality.
    I was in the same boat when decided between getting a linked and non linked version. You'll be tweaking parameters so much and adding data that the link will be invaluable. Plus if you ever get something like a LRF down the road it's nice to have all your devices talk.

Fuck..... This site is going to get me either divorced or in the poor house. I'm in. I love 4dof.

Damn you and your 15%off codes.

Reactions: themightytimmah
    Ok, just so I'm understanding this... Besides G1/G7, this unit will have Hornady's proprietary solver "4DoF" vice AP?

I don't have the Hornady app on my phone; does it allow an 5700 LINK pair/feed it info (wind/temp/density alt)?

Last edited:
    Ok, just so I'm understanding this... Besides G1/G7, this unit will have Hornady's proprietary solver "4DoF" vice AP?

I don't have the Hornady app on my phone; does it allow an 5700 LINK pair/feed it info (wind/temp/density alt)?
    Yes the Hornady Kestrel uses the 4DOF solver and uses the weather input of the Kestrel in its calculations.

Reactions: Individual1
    Competition is always good, having said that...it should be $200 cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it only has 4DOF data on Hornady ammo and projectiles?

Say what you want about AB but their custom curve library is pretty vast and encompasses more than just Berger's offerings.

Be interesting to see Frank compare the two against each other both using 4DOF/CDM data for a Hornady bullet as well as g1/g7 calculations.

Honestly, my bet is the g1/g7 is going to be the same, math is math and all that. The difference will be in the custom drag data. Hornady and the Doppler may well be more accurate, but if it's only offered on Hornady bullets, that kinda limits it's appeal to people using those bullets in particular.

Reactions: Diver160651
    I ordered the 4dof version. Will keep my elite AB as a spare if nothing else. Would still like an answer to a question asked earlier. Will the Leica 2800 give you the firing solution from the 4dof kestrel in screen?

Reactions: DetroitRearView