• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Leica Rangemaster CRF 3500.com and Leica Hunting App

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey guys, got a hunting buddy of mine that wants to carry the least amount of equipment as possible.

He called up Camera Land about a month+ ago to talk to them about a Kestrel 5700 / Kilo 3000 combo that I recommended to him. I have a lot of experience with both and should be no problem to get him setup for his hunt this fall. Problem is, they talked him into the Leica 3500.com so he only has to carry the rangefinder without the need to carry a Kestrel. Short version is I'm ready to smash this thing. Looking for a little guidance before I reach back out to my buddy to see if he can return it.

Most of this has to do with the Leica Hunting App I'm using to set up his bullet profiles. First off, the bullet database is only for factory ammunition. No option for putting in a projectile so I'm stuck with "Own" for my option. Here is where all the problems start.

FWIW, he is shooting a 125gr Cutting Edge .264 from a 6.5 PRC at 3051fps.

- It's asking me for BC but doesn't state if is G1 or G7
- It wants the Mean Sea Level???? For the profile???? I don't even know where to get this.
- It want's the Absolute Barometric Pressure. Isn't the app supposed to get this from a nearby weather station when linked to the phone?
- It's also asking for the Temp? Again, why is this required to be entered in the profile? Isn't that calculated when taking the shot via local weather data?

This just seams overcomplicated compared to a Kestrel. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if his window for returns has closed or not because he ordered it a while ago and it's been sitting on his desk this entire time until he dropped it off for me to check out and help him set it up.

Also, what the heck is a US 1 through US 12 curve? My head hurts. Please help before I smash this thing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Doug at Camera Land is a great guy and I am a happy customer, but unless he has switched from fishing to hunting as his hobby, he may have suggested the wrong setup. Before you get all wrapped up in this, consider using the Kestrel 5700 and linking it to the 3500. While you may still need to carry the Kestrel, it can be in your pack or pocket. Once you turn the Kestrel on and take a wind reading you can put it away as the 3500 will send the DOF, range and angle to the Kestrel and the Kestrel will adjust the wind relative to the new DOF and return the hold for elevation and wind to the lens of the Leica, almost a one device solution, but a much better and easier solution using the Applied Ballistic software. Leica has great glass, but, as you have experienced, not so good as an app developer. I started to set up the Leica ballistic software and lost interest quickly. Stick with the Kestrel for calculations.

I hear ya. He was hoping to avoid buying a Kestrel but I don't think there is a way around it.

Perhaps I'll link mine up to it and show him how much better it works with a Kestrel. Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one that hates their app interface.

I strapped my leica 2800com and kestrel with a GI band lol. So its one unit ish. Works great for hunting.