• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Lowest Rail for Remington 700 ??

Tbrake12

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2010
Hello! Im new, first post...

I'm looking to convert 4-5 of my 700s to rail type quick detachable mounts so I can swap scopes around easier. These are hunting rifles, .223, .270, .300 RUM, .338 WM, and will be used mostly between 0-400 yds.

I notice that alot of rail mounts seem to sit pretty high. I don't want to give up the low close-to-barrel stance that my scopes currently have. Does anyone make a thin low-profile type rail? Any suggestions on rings?
Thanks!

Re: Lowest Rail for Remington 700 ??

i vaguely remember EGW gunworks having something low profile, but i dont think they get lower than the leupold 1 piece like on the M24. thats the only base ive seen to get a 40mm leupold anywhere NEAR the barrel.

im guessing you have a 40mm obj?

thats the only reason to seek lower bases since 50mm+ you need all the elevation you can get for the bell to clear the barrel and a lower base is a mute point when youll just have to get higher rings.

seekins has a 0moa hunter low profile rail

hunter_ring_setup.jpg

Forget about rails.

If you want a low base, and they make a great deal of sense, look at the steel Weaver and Warne bases. Leupold's QRW base is also very low profile. The one-piece Weaver jobs are also very low profile.

What is most disappointing is that manufacturers don't use picatinny rail spacing with their non-pic bases. Not like it matters to joe-blow hunter or target shooter, but being able to swap scopes to other rifles is a big plus. Being able to mount a 44mm objective scope low enough to give a good cheek weld, keep low profile and save weight are all Good Things.

shootone,

Is that a new product from Seekins?? I can't find it on his website??

its not new, just been kept quiet so we can keep up on other stuff. I have one sitting on my desk if you would like it.

From the top of the action to the top of the base in FRONT is .265"

0 moa only.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forget about rails.

If you want a low base, and they make a great deal of sense, look at the steel Weaver and Warne bases. Leupold's QRW base is also very low profile. The one-piece Weaver jobs are also very low profile.

What is most disappointing is that manufacturers don't use picatinny rail spacing with their non-pic bases. Not like it matters to joe-blow hunter or target shooter, but being able to swap scopes to other rifles is a big plus. Being able to mount a 44mm objective scope low enough to give a good cheek weld, keep low profile and save weight are all Good Things.</div></div>
I disagree. I want the best mounting system that mates my scope to my rifle and gives me consistant repeatabliity, shot after shot and even under a few bangs and accidental drops... Seekins is the one I would recommend. He's got his thumb on the heartbeat of what we need and he makes his stuff out of high quality alluminum and built to take abuse and not weigh a ton as well...........SmokeRolls

Alright... Who makes a high precision/quality steel rail that is 0 moa and is offered in long and short action?? I'll need 3 long and 1 short.

Also... I'm assuming I will have to use standard picatinny spaced rails in order for the scopes to mount on both short and long actions?? Would the seekins low-pro hunter rail allow this?? Is it steel or alum?

I've just about settled on Leupold QRW or Warn QD rings. Thank you all for the info, I really appreciate your concern and help!!

LaRues 700 piccatiny base and QR rings looks real low also just found them the other day on line they look interesting

How much lower than the standard 20moa Seeking base, is the lower one, that just what I needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbrake12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright... Who makes a high precision/quality steel rail that is 0 moa and is offered in long and short action?? I'll need 3 long and 1 short.

Also... I'm assuming I will have to use standard picatinny spaced rails in order for the scopes to mount on both short and long actions?? Would the seekins low-pro hunter rail allow this?? Is it steel or alum?

I've just about settled on Leupold QRW or Warn QD rings. Thank you all for the info, I really appreciate your concern and help!! </div></div>
Tbrake12: Take some advice. Seekins has what you are looking for. He can get you as low as humanly possible, so low that your scope could not go any lower and your eyeball may be kissing the stock. And you could not need a stronger setup than what he could give you. You are not gaining anything by going to steel on these items other than added weight to lug around and rusting steel..... I used to believe that steel was what I needed to be uber sniperific (Hey Look Maw! I created a word)but I then realized that Seekins has an awesome thing going and he builds it to satisfy the professionals and the hunters.......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LaRues 700 piccatiny base and QR rings looks real low also just found them the other day on line they look interesting </div></div>

I just picked up a Larue LT-113S-20 (base) and LT-719's, the base is quite low and has some extra length over the barrel. I dig the hell out of it, puts my SN-3 T-PAL just off the barrel. Its aluminium with steel insert though.

The LaRue looks nice, but they don't offer 1 inch, and they get really expensive when you're shopping for 4 guns
shocked.gif

I talked to Seekins and he didn't have what I need.

What I am still looking for, is a normal 1 pc picatinny rail with even spaced slots down the whole length, front height .190-.288 (lower the better). I figure I'm gonna have to use low rings which are .250-.285 from base-top to bottom of scope tube, I can't find anything lower except cheap stuff.

Surely somebody can make me a rail that is slightly thinner?
confused.gif
I don't care if the bolt heads stick up in the slots, I don't use those slots anyway....

Tbrake12 You can just use LaRue Bases, which are a mere $75. I've got a ) and 20 MOA on the way. I'll let you know when they arrive.

Thanks Kingston, I'd love to know the Larue Heights, they haven't responded to my email
frown.gif
. You have been a big help to me on both forums...

Brownell emailed me back and said their 700 picatinny bases, short and long action, are .400 in the front. These are the Brownell brand, don't know who actually makes them..

Witch Doctor: Don't reckon you have a caliper laying around do you??
smirk.gif
I can't find the number on the MK 4 base either
frown.gif

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbrake12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Witch Doctor: Don't reckon you have a caliper laying around do you??
smirk.gif
I can't find the number on the MK 4 base either
frown.gif

Thanks! </div></div>

Sorry bro, I sent the rifle off to Roscoe for bedding and a new trigger. I measured the the Mark IV and the base measured 0.4cm at the end of the front just below the flare for the picatinny

Here is my summary.

Rings (larger measurement included with each is the distance to ocular center from top of P-rail)
TPS Ultra Low 30mm TSR/TSRW/HRT 0.82” or .23”
Seekins Precision 30mm Low 0.82 or .23”
Seekins Precision 1” Low 0.75 or .25”
Badger Ordinance 30mm Std 0.823 or .233”
Warne Maxima QD 30mm Low 0.83 or .25” (Weaver style)
Leupold Mark 4 Rings 30mm Med 0.84 or .25”
Leupold QRW 30mm Low .77” or .18”
Leupold QRW 1” Super Low .55 or .05” (Weaver style)
Leupold QRW 1” Low .65 or .15” (Weaver style)
Night Force rings 30mm Low 0.885 or .295”
LaRue 0.85 or .26”
Near Mfg. ???????

Bases for Rem. 700 SA
Seekins 20MOA Base on a Remington use .44” for rear height or .29” for front height
McCann Industries is also .44” Rear; .29” Front (they only make a 20MOA base)(steel).
Badger Ordinance OMOA Rem 700 SA Rear .41; Front .31"
LaRue 0MOA .43" Rear (Aluminum)
LaRue 20MOA .46" Rear (Aluminum)
Warne M673SA R= .400; F=.288 (Steel)
Warne M673-20SA R= .400; F=.248 (Steel)

This is the current setup that I have used for 6,500 rounds on a 1998 Rem 700 LTR .308 w/ Mark 4 M1 3.5-10x40mm. This has served me very well and has taken quite a bit of abuse.
Leupold QR R .34”; F .23”
Leupold QR 30mm rings .06”
Total = .40” or .99”(OC)

Lowest Picatinny Rail setup with 30mm P-Rail rings…
TPS Ultra Low 30mm TSR/TSRW/HRT 0.82” or .23” or Seekins Precision 30mm Low 0.82 or .23” +
Warne M673SA R= .400; F=.288 (Steel) or Warne M673-20SA R= .400; F=.248 (Steel)
Total= .63” or 1.22”

Lowest Picatinny Rail setup with 1” P-Rail rings…
Seekins Precision 1” Low 0.75 or .25” + Warne M673SA R= .400; F=.288 (Steel) or Warne M673-20SA R= .400; F=.248 (Steel)
Total= .65” or 1.15” (OC)

Lowest Picatinny Rail setup with 30mm Weaver rings…
Leupold QRW 30mm Low .77” or .18” + Warne M673SA R= .400; F=.288 (Steel) or Warne M673-20SA R= .400; F=.248 (Steel)
Total = .58” or 1.17” (OC)

Lowest Picatinny Rail setup with 1” Weaver rings…
Leupold QRW 1” Super Low .55 or .05” (Weaver style) + Warne M673SA R= .400; F=.288 (Steel) or Warne M673-20SA R= .400; F=.248 (Steel)
Total = .45” or .95” (OC)

Useful Info
15 millimeters = 0.590551181 inches

Kingston wins. Great writeup and definitely answers the ops question

No problem,I'm trying to figure this out myself... I've got two 700SA rifles that I'm putting together.

I can tell you this. The LT rails are going back. Their rings are sweet, but for $200 I just can't justify them, especially w/o locks on the levers. Furthermore they are not really low enough.

From what I have in front of me now, I like the Badger base best. I am going to order the Warne bases and TPS rings tonight. My Seekins order from 2/15 is still pending. I did see that Scott at liberty shows them in stock again.

Great post Kingston! Very Helpful.

One thing I noticed....
Your QRW 1" ring numbers are really the numbers for the QR rings with the hole/pin instead of the weaver style. The 1" Low QRW rings are .230 (base to tube bottom) or .730 (occular center). I've seen this on the package as well as on many websites that sell them. I have also seen .250 and .750 numbers for these rings on Leupolds site, and to further confuse things, someone who was selling a used pair said they were .235.

I really like the looks of the TPS rings, just wish somebody would make a rail that was around .200-.250 in the front.

I've found lower 1" weaver style rings, but they all seem cheaply made, Burris QD .133, Weaver Grand slam detachable .188, regular old weavers .089. You might give them a look and see what you think, they probable offer 30mm as well, I just don't ever pay attention to them as I have all 1" scopes.
Thanks!
Todd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my summary.</div></div>
You can add the Nightforce 20 MOA Steel.

"Height is .36 in the back and .21 in front" - NF CS

I have not verified these measurements.

GM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheHills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my summary.</div></div>
You can add the Nightforce 20 MOA Steel.

"Height is .36 in the back and .21 in front" - NF CS

I have not verified these measurements.

GM </div></div>

That would be the lowest yet. We need to verify these numbers. Thanks ITH!

Well, I got my rings and base from Seekings a couple of weeks ago. I guess that they have been busy. I had forgotten about my little project. I'll have to get them mounted up and let you guys know what I find. Right now I've got BO and TPS holding that Leupold Ultra 10x and I went back to the Leupold QR setup for the LTR and the Mk4 M!.

King., Great information. Thank you for the obviously time consuming compliation. I have sent it to 3 friends who have the 700 ltr and wanted to know what to get. I am a big fan of Warne,LaRue and Badger Ord. products.
Good job.
Bart
Nikon Pro staff

Thought this was worth bumping back to the top, plus I had a new base to add to the list. According to Brownell's tech guys, their new 20MOA aluminum base has the following measurements:

Front 0.360" and Rear 0.513"

Does anyone have the EGW base measurements (short action, 0 MOA)?

Nightforce 20 moa 8/40 one piece rail (A146)

From Nightforce Rep:
"The height of the front is .317" centered between the front base screw holes. The rear height is .468""

I would call Leupold and see what they recommend. Although there is obviously a wealth of information here. Good luck.