• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MR 762 vs Larue OBR

CaptainChaos51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ok, so I have an early Larue OBR, and I am thinking about jumping ship to HK.
Thoughts? Research says they are good and some are not. Would it be a bad idea?

Ran an MR762 for years and sold it to fund a SCAR 17S. Haven't looked back. It's a a fine rifle but a "pig" of a piston gun and, like the SCAR, will require a trigger upgrade for any serious shooting. I bought it when I had the "HK bug" bad but current offerings in the MBR chamberings are many. You can build a DI gun with the highest quality parts for the cost of the MR762 and have replacement parts readily available. If you want the rifle for the "made in Germany" badge by all means go for it. You have many options.

Performance wise I don’t think you’ll see much of a gain by adopting the M762, I’ve shoot a couple over the years and they seem to be solid 1 MOA rifles.

The OBR (pre Rearden Steel) are solidly in the same accuracy bracket I’ve shot a bunch and even own one myself but then again if you got the H&K bug, the only cure is H&K.

I own both. The MR762 is heavy but not as heavy as my OBR. The OBR shoots much tighter groups than the MR762. If could only have one it would be the OBR but not the predatOBR which is the least accurate of the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsadryheat
How does the MR762 work with a can on the end? I have an old Surefire that would go on it.

The MR762 doesn't have an adjustable gas block but you may be able to work with different buffer weights to ensure the gun doesn't beat itself apart. If I remember correctly HK mentioned the civ version, without the adjustable gas block, was not produced to run suppressed but others will chime in on some real world use and talk to any issues/concerns.

Does your OBR have the LW barrel? Those are usually pretty sought after and suppose to be more accurate than the now used larue barrels. May be something to consider

I'm a big HK fan and not at all a Larue fan, but my understanding is that the early OBR's are supposed to be some of the best. Even with my bias, I'm not sure I'd go the way you're thinking without being 100% sure.

At least Geissele has a cool rail for the MR762 now, and they have a trigger too...that together will run you about a grand probably but you should be set up at that point unless you need the G28 stock which is a few hundred more.

Or...you can go full-on BALLER and snatch this up:
https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/HK-417-165-Complete-Upper--AH-Date-coded_p_2009.html

Get both? Early OBRs are one of the iconic large frame ARs and the foundation of LT's reputation for precision rifles.

Performance wise I don’t think you’ll see much of a gain by adopting the M762, I’ve shoot a couple over the years and they seem to be solid 1 MOA rifles.

The OBR (pre Rearden Steel) are solidly in the same accuracy bracket I’ve shot a bunch and even own one myself but then again if you got the H&K bug, the only cure is H&K.

Out of curiosity, why did you make the "pre Rearden Steel" disctinction?

Thanks

If you dont like the way the larue shoots, or simply want something new to get past the craving, why not get the OBR rebarrelled to 6.5 or a different blank for the 308?

Anyone know a reputable shop that would harvest a barrel extension and spin up a new barrel for an OBR/predatobr?

Get both? Early OBRs are one of the iconic large frame ARs and the foundation of LT's reputation for precision rifles.

Thanks

I feel like when LaRue switch to cutting barrels in house, tha barrel quality was less consistent. I started shooting OBRs around 2011 and had maybe 5-6k through a handful of the LW barreled OBRs and 0.75-1.0 was the general expectation from what I observed.

OBRs had quite a following in the SOTIC community at that point and when OBRs and PredatOBR the in house (Rearden Steel) started trickling in, some were reporting less that stellar performance like1.25-1.5 MOA. Granted most were still good but as I said that consistency seemed to be a bit of a teething problem.

Honestly I’m sure the in house barrels are alright but when I decided to get a OBR of my own, I purposely hunted down a early LW Barrel OBR and it’s a solid sub MOA rifle.

Reactions: CaptainChaos51
I'm a big HK fan and not at all a Larue fan, but my understanding is that the early OBR's are supposed to be some of the best. Even with my bias, I'm not sure I'd go the way you're thinking without being 100% sure.

At least Geissele has a cool rail for the MR762 now, and they have a trigger too...that together will run you about a grand probably but you should be set up at that point unless you need the G28 stock which is a few hundred more.

Or...you can go full-on BALLER and snatch this up:
https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/HK-417-165-Complete-Upper--AH-Date-coded_p_2009.html
Oooooooh my goodness........ I added up all the extras....$1700 So damn expensive

Thanks

Man I wish I could! One day when I grow up. I am going to stick with the obr for now.

I feel like when LaRue switch to cutting barrels in house, tha barrel quality was less consistent. I started shooting OBRs around 2011 and had maybe 5-6k through a handful of the LW barreled OBRs and 0.75-1.0 was the general expectation from what I observed.

OBRs had quite a following in the SOTIC community at that point and when OBRs and PredatOBR the in house (Rearden Steel) started trickling in, some were reporting less that stellar performance like1.25-1.5 MOA. Granted most were still good but as I said that consistency seemed to be a bit of a teething problem.

Honestly I’m sure the in house barrels are alright but when I decided to get a OBR of my own, I purposely hunted down a early LW Barrel OBR and it’s a solid sub MOA rifle.

I think there was a teething phase where they were released as 'field grade' barrels, and a replacement 'match grade' barrel was offered free when the kinks were worked out.

I asked because I ended up grabbing an older LW barrel OBR from the for sale forums after being disappointed with two of the new production rearden barrel guns. I've had a far easier time getting the LW barrel to shoot well than the newer units. Your numbers above are consistent with what I experienced.

Not the large frame barrels, but I’ve been nothing but unimpressed with the LaRue in house 223/5.56 and 224Valkyrie barrels. They just aren’t consistent and tend to throw shots or shift the POI once they get 4-5 rounds through them.

FWIW, the two Larue Rifles I have owned have been the most accurate rifles I have owned.(that includes an HK MR762, Scar, and MWS) One was an early OBR and the second was an early tOBR. I never bothered putting the replacement barrel on because the field barrel was very accurate.

I have a few friends with Larue rifles and they all are, likewise, complete tack drivers.

2014ish? I could be off but I think that’s right about when it went down, someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Dec of 2013 to be exact lol.

I have one if the first ones that came with factory LaRue barrles.. It was on back order for 13 mounths.. lol. It has mostly been fed 175gr FGMM.. has been a .75 moa gun for me .
20150329_161647.jpg