• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Multi-tool recomendations

AJB

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2007
South Florida
I haven't had a multitool for some time and I constantly find myself needing one at work. I would prefer one with spring tension pliers, but its not mandatory. I have about 150 to spend so everything up to the leatherman MUT is in my price range. Just wondering what you guys may have had great luck with. Thanks

Re: Multi-tool recomendations

Victorinox Swiss Tool

Heavy duty construction and you can get to all the tools without having to open the pliers.

LINK

I discommend Gerber multitools, great knives less great tools. The leatherman wave is well built and useful, leatherman crosstips fit tridairs and other similar aviation fasteners without stripping them like other multitools.

I'm inpartial in this, as I think alot of Gerbers and Leathermans are crap because I've broken both.

The only one I haven't is a Gerber 800 series, because it is built better than all of the other sheet-metal stuff that Leatherman and Gerber themselves, are known to flood into the market. The handle is thicker, and can resist torque better than anything else. I've messed up two Leathermans and one Gerber just from this alone.

And I've had mine for over 4 years.

i don't like the mut. it gets caught on everything. you have screwdriver bits that you have to put in the side of the tool. it has fewer tools and is just as big as any other leatherman.

the only thing on the MUT that isn't on any other leatherman is the dull brass blade that i used to clear jams on my 22 LR upper.

for a basic multi tool, i really like the offerings from SOG. i haven't been able to break one yet. lose one? absolutely, but i haven't broken any of the others.

SOG. Check out their lineup. I own 2 of their multi tools. Great products.

I've broken a wave and a skeletool, so I'd have a tough time recommending Leatherman for much more than a glovebox piece.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've broken a wave and a skeletool, so I'd have a tough time recommending Leatherman for much more than a glovebox piece. </div></div>

during my time in the military, I broke leatherman, gerber, sog, swiss army, I still carry the leatherman skeletool for its light weight. I also carried some heavier tools for doing specific jobs, because I know that a multi tool is best served for minor things.

I have broke just about every make and model, but the hardest to break was the sog and I simply bent the punch tool and everything else still works fine. The one I carried on deployments was the SOG. Now that I am out of the Military I carry the Leatherman wave, I do a lot of work with computers and wiring and the wave works like a champ. Stay away from Gerber they are horrible in every way.

After I broke two sets of SOG switch pliers and a pair of gerbers, I bought some leatherman charge ti. They came with an extra set of bits and a nylon case for about $115, six years ago. I have carried them and used some part of them everyday for that time, and they've never failed me. I have had to replace the case a couple times because my belts have sawed through the belt loop or the Velcro has worn out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've broken a wave and a skeletool, so I'd have a tough time recommending Leatherman for much more than a glovebox piece. </div></div>

during my time in the military, I broke leatherman, gerber, sog, swiss army, I still carry the leatherman skeletool for its light weight. I also carried some heavier tools for doing specific jobs, because I know that a multi tool is best served for minor things. </div></div>
Completely agree with this. I use a multi tool daily installing cables and wires. The times I've broken stuff was with tasks I would not consider heavy duty (saw blade snapped pushing into sheet rock, pliers broke twisting a three prong plug into shape).

I must not be hard enough on my shit. My brother has a Skeletool and loves it. My dad and all three of us brothers have Gerber multitools. I carry a Leatherman squirt that gets used harder than I think it was intended to be used, but hasn't missed a beat.

Like I said though, I might not be a good stress tester...

Krm375 said it best. There all for light work and conveinence. I've had the best luck with Leatherman multi tools. Like a Swiss Army knife, you just have to choose the one that fits your needs.

Best all around is either the Leatherman Wave or Supertool. But I do like my new MUT its kind of nifty, but will never replace my Wave!

For the love of God and Country, do not buy a Gerber. The Army issues them for a reason, they suck. I am using a Leatherman Charge now, and so far during this deployment is has done just fine.

I got a Wave in a leather pouch about 10 years ago, friggin NICE tool but am hearing from a lot of people that the new one's are cheap.

They don't even make leather holsters anymore....I like leather!

I just received my Leatherman Charge TTI, Surge, and Blast. I gotta say the I was surprised because the cheapo Blasts turned out better than the TTI and Surge.

The $106 Charge TTI came with an S30V blade that looks to be grinded by a monkey. The grind on one side goes up and down about 1.5mm and the edge has a ding in the center like some one dropped it on a roll pin. This really pissed me off because one of the big selling points for me was the the main blade. The only other thing about it that irks me is the diamond file rubs pretty hard against the titanium frame.

The Surge I got had huge burrs on the handle and although I can just break them off myself I'm sending it back as well.

The blasts that I received are tip top and the difference between fit and finish on these are night and day with their more pricey counterparts.

I am gonna send them back and get something else.