• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need a good tripod recommendation

Scooter1942

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I need a good tripod for my M151 (Leupold Mk4) spotting scope. I don't really want to drop $600+ for an Asbury Precision, but I don't want some flimsy POS either. Need something with no or very low center post since most of the spotting will be done from the prone or seated position. No leg supports either. Would prefer something with geared adjustments to fine tune mil-dot reticle when ranging and I'm not a fan of ball heads.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm racking my brain trying to remember where I found the link to a spotting scope stand that would do just what you want, and it was less than $300 shipped.
It had fold down feet and a central mast with an offset mount (the scope mounts to the side of the mast) with screw on sections to increase the height. It would work prone to standing. Faaaaaaak where was that website....

Joe

I need a good tripod for my M151 (Leupold Mk4) spotting scope. I don't really want to drop $600+ for an Asbury Precision, but I don't want some flimsy POS either. Need something with no or very low center post since most of the spotting will be done from the prone or seated position. No leg supports either. Would prefer something with geared adjustments to fine tune mil-dot reticle when ranging and I'm not a fan of ball heads.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here it is
http://www.tacticaltripod.com/

Joe

*edit* I'm not sure that it would handle spotting from a standing position but prone and seated, no problem. On the price & ordering page there is a budget package for $250.

Last edited:
Those tripods are fine for use on a bench or nice, flat ground. You see that type at Hi Power matches. They smoke pole for field use in remotely uneven terrain.

Do a search for Manfrotto ot PRS (Slik) tripods. Those are what most people use for field work. Plenty of threads out there with pictures of everything from prone to standing use.

Regarding heads, the Manfrotto pistol grip heads work great for me for everything including milling. If you want something more precise, plenty of geared heads out there. Check out one of the big camera places like B&H for available types and prices.

Those tripods are fine for use on a bench or nice, flat ground. You see that type at Hi Power matches. They smoke pole for field use in remotely uneven terrain.

Do a search for Manfrotto ot PRS (Slik) tripods. Those are what most people use for field work. Plenty of threads out there with pictures of everything from prone to standing use.

Regarding heads, the Manfrotto pistol grip heads work great for me for everything including milling. If you want something more precise, plenty of geared heads out there. Check out one of the big camera places like B&H for available types and prices.

Wrong.
Watch the demonstration on the website.
The legs adjust independently for uneven terrain.

Joe

OK, good luck! Keep the Manfrotto tripods in mind just in case:)

Well, admittedly, that's what I have, the full size carbon fiber Zeiss (rebranded Manfrotto) with the fluid head, but I can't use it prone.
For that I bought a Giottos low profile aluminum tripod and turned an adapter in my lathe to fit another Manfrotto fluid head.
Both are fantastic, but they are not interchangeable.
The OP wanted one tripod that will do both.

Joe

Last edited:
Freeland Tripod Stand - Freeland Stands - Freeland Stands - Scopes & Stands | Creedmoor Sports

I had one of these for highpower shooting back in the day. They are rock solid, and are made for sitting and prone spotting scope mounting. They are not "tactical" - but I still have one that's at least 15 years old, and works like it did when I got it. Creedmoor, champ choice, freeland, and several others all have their take on this type of scope stand. Frankly - I think the tactical tripod above is sort of a knock-off of this type of design, painted a cool color, and sent with a bag.

Ive used Fishhead before, they make a carbon fiber model that gets pretty flat, the head is similar to the new bushnell tactical tripods. The fishhead i have was a full size tripod aroun 25in legs before extending, wasent good for shooting because the head did not have enough tension to not slip when a gun was on it. ive also seen small ones about 7 or 8 inches, i think they are the best way to go ezp if you will be in the prone alot, or if you have many platforms, it keeps the weight of all your shit down and the profile smaller. I know manfroto makes some small ones like that, i got one at best buy for like 20 bucks onetime.

I've got the tacticaltripod.com product. It's very well made. I can invert my MK 4 and get it about 4" off the ground or I can add two rods and it's perfect for sitting. The legs have enough tension on them so that they will adapt to uneven terrain without a problem. It's a great piece of kit for 1/2 the price of the APO tripod. It's also got an adapter so I can mount my Kestrel on the rod while I'm using the spotter

I've got the PRS heavy duty tripod with the grip head and I bought a saddle too. Very pleased with the quality all of it. Precision Rifle Solutions are great to work with and price is very reasonable. The tripod is very stable with a spotting scope on it even in windy conditions but the HD center post won't allow you to go prone. I can get behind it sitting though. They do have some smaller tripods that would work well sitting or prone though and won't cost a fortune.