• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Mad Minute record: 39 hits

TorF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2003
Norway
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...e-shockingly-fast-bolt-action-rifle-shooting/

madcup1901.jpg

Now if they let you have your standard 10 round magazines, a bipod, a scope & a rear bag, the numbers would be a lot different.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Wow!!!
Thats impressive. Looked like that bolt was closing and locking itself down you were so fast.

There are some interesting details to note in the video if you look closely.

The rifles are Sig Sauer STR. In the national strict rules there are very few changes you can do on the rifles and some of these details actually limits speed shooting. These guys do not change these details for Mad Minute because they are literally "born" with these rifles in this config from the age of 9 - 10 years.

The main issue with a std STR is the sight height over bore center line. This does that the shooter have to raise his head between every shot to avoid the bolt hitting the face. If they put sight risers on the rifle, and raise the cheek rest, the shooters could have kept the sight picture between shots.

The second issue is that the Sauer STR/SSG3000 is a long 30-06 action. Bolt travel is longer that it needs to be. Shortened bolt travel, mags with rear spacers and let's say 6.5x47 would increase speed. There is also a 223 kit with very short bolt travel for this rifle but that's cheating..

Another interesting note related to this forum are all the threads about "what is the most reliable bolt action for competition shooting".
I dare say that there are very few rifles that can keep up with the Sauer STR/SSG3000 shooting system. The STR was introduced in 1989 and a lot of rifles have logged 10000+ rounds every year (some rifle go 20000+). That's 400000+ rounds total and in most cases the rifles are untouched by a gunsmith due to the standardized modular build. How many of the regular rifles in this forum can keep up? I can only think of AI. The STR/SSG3000 have some very clever design features for the long haul like trigger, bolt stop, locking lugs in the barrel with specs that make all barrels true dropin without any fitting.

Sirhr: Age goes up and skills go down.. Otherwise it's fine :)

Regards
Tor

(ps: Some replies seems to indicate that I shot the record. I wish i did but I just linked to the story in Accurate Shooter)

Amazing shooting! I try to get a magazine (5) out as fast as I can every now and then. I don't even come close on the speed and to realize they not only get the speed, they get the hits! :cool::oops::cool:

Wouldn't a short action here be a substantial advantage accuracy wise maintaining sight picture? (ie not lifting head up to work bolt)
I guess familiarity trumps a little there and im being very nitpicky. ha.

Other than that, was truly impressive.

Regards,
DT

Last edited: