• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Other Really Accurate .308 Rifles Besides Tikka T3x Tac A1 That Are Comparable?

coderz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2021
Montana
Looking for an accurate one around this same price. I've been reaching out in other communities, I've considered the 6.5CM, but I really know deep down I would prefer .308, the biggest reason is easy ammo availability and cheaper prices especially for brass. I like the Bergara B14 HM4 but I don't like the fact it only has a 20 inch barrel. I wish it was 22 or 24 inches which the T3x Tac A1 are.

Can anyone think of a .308 that is SUB MOA and maybe even easy to find/swap barrels out on?

There isn’t much benefit (if any at all) going with a 22-24” over a 20” barrel in 308, especially if you’re running a can. 20” is more than sufficient to get you to 1000 yards with a 175 smk m-based load and the 175smk has been outclassed by better bullets by Berger and Hornady anyway.

Why not get the Tikka, it’s the easy choice, I love mine, only draw back is the barrel is a tad slow. But TONS of aftermarket and a very well built rifle

Reactions: coderz
Bergara Premier Ridgeback or HMR Pro? Theoretically more accurate than their own B14 lineup that you mentioned (sub MOA vs 1 MOA). Their LRP doesn't seem to come in 308.

There isn’t much benefit (if any at all) going with a 22-24” over a 20” barrel in 308, especially if you’re running a can. 20” is more than sufficient to get you to 1000 yards with a 175 smk m-based load and the 175smk has been outclassed by better bullets by Berger and Hornady anyway.

308 seems to be lacking for 1k, think it’s happy place is inside of 800

308 seems to be lacking for 1k, think it’s happy place is inside of 800
I agree. It’s really an 800m and in cartridge, hence why no real benefit to burdening yourself with 24” of barrel….6.5s gives you an extra 300-400m depending on bullet and cartridge. Beyond that, magnums….But you can get decent hit rates with 308 using 175s or better at a grand on good days.

Do you need more twist for the better bullets?
Are they heavier?

Do you need more twist for the better bullets?
Are they heavier?
Generally yes however it’s the length of the bullet’s bearing surface, not the weight that matters. Check out Berger’s bullet stability calculator, if you haven’t already -you can enter in various parameters about your barrel, bullet and it will calculate a stability factor.

Reactions: buggz
Thanks for all your help here guys. This seems like a great community and I'm glad to be a part of it now! I'm a .308 fanboy I admit. This is because I have an AR-10 and other rifles in .308. I don't like having to buy more expensive/more types of completely different ammo. Plus .308 is is a plentiful excellent survival round even though I know it won't carry quite as well or as far as a .308. For practical applications, good accuracy to 800 yards or less seems fine.

In any case, the Tikka T3x Tac A1 in .308 does seem to be an amazing rifle. The only drawback is it's almost twice as expensive as the B14 HMR by Bergara. Is that extra money worth it though? In this case it actually does seem to be worth it as it appears to be Sub-Moa almost always with decent ammo in .308.

It's basically what I've come to the conclusion of. I know this is somewhat based on a myriad of factors, but what kind of barrel life in .308 can you expect from that Tikka T3x Tac A1?

I just got a Steyr THB in 308 in a Manners stock you can have it in 20 or 26 barrel i tried to like the Tikka just i didnt have to change anything out on the Steyr.

Reactions: yej0001 and Kamerad
I’m gonna mention the elephant in the room. I heard Remington made a few model 700s in 308s
Yep gonna get another but gonna wait till they get it all together first. How can one be sure to get a new one and not one that has been sitting at a distributor for a year. I'd like to give them a fair shake.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Yep gonna get another but gonna wait till they get it all together first. How can one be sure to get a new one and not one that has been sitting at a distributor for a year. I'd like to give them a fair shake.
You’re right it’ll take time.

If you’re looking for a lot of features on a budget check out a Ruger RPR. Runs 20 round Magpul mags, adjustable/folding stock, sub-moa, big aftermarket support.
I usually forget about these even though I have one in 6.5 for my boys. A great rifle for the price and adjusts for my 8yo as well as my 18yo. I'm not sure how well it shoot groups at 100yds. Sub moa for sure and we routinely take it out to 900-1,000yds on steel.

I’m gonna mention the elephant in the room. I heard Remington made a few model 700s in 308s

The 5r MilSpec is a great rifle as well. Both of mine averaged around 1/2moa. The m24 from EuroOptics would make a nice rifle.

Howa makes a darn nice rifle. Not a ton of aftermarket support. But it’s got the best factory trigger I’ve ever used, is accurate and a smooth loader.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Check out the sako S20. Euro optic had a good sale on them right now.

I think that unless you get a lemon, all modern bolt rifle action/barrel combos are very close in accuracy potential (3/8" @ 100). The differences beyond bells and whistles will be compatibility with other parts down the road, and the factory throat depth. While I own 2 Tikkas right now, they are only my go to as budget rifles, and I prefer to shoot them factory stock. The trigger is great, but it's not a Triggertech or Bix or Jewell etc. I prefer the 700 for upgrading, or a 700 clone if spending more. My factory barrel 700 5R in 308 has enough throat to get 208's to 2640 fps, giving it the same ballistics as a 6.5 creed lobbing a 147. I've had 700's trued up with fancy bolts, and they are just as snickety as a Tikka, but have more $ in them.

Why not just build you one. Find a R700 SA clone that accepts prefits, order a barrel with a good pedigree, get a decent trigger, and drop it into a KRG Bravo. You will be well under $2000, maybe less than the TacA1 and have more options going forward. Hell, find a used R700 and use a barrel nut and you will be very close to $1000, I have seen several of these hammer! Just because it doesn’t cost a few thousand dollars or more doesn’t mean it will not compete (accuracy wise) as the top tier rifles. You may lose some other features but if your just banging steel or punching paper and on a budget who cares, spend the money you saved over the fancy rifle on the most important aspect of the system a better scope!

Why not just build you one. Find a R700 SA clone that accepts prefits, order a barrel with a good pedigree, get a decent trigger, and drop it into a KRG Bravo. You will be well under $2000, maybe less than the TacA1 and have more options going forward. Hell, find a used R700 and use a barrel nut and you will be very close to $1000, I have seen several of these hammer! Just because it doesn’t cost a few thousand dollars or more doesn’t mean it will not compete (accuracy wise) as the top tier rifles. You may lose some other features but if your just banging steel or punching paper and on a budget who cares, spend the money you saved over the fancy rifle on the most important aspect of the system a better scope!

This is the way

i'll address the other elephant in the room..... a gah damn Savage... you can literally pick up the 12 FV for less than 500 bucks. drop it in a decent stock and throw a trigger in it and hurt a lot of feelings. anyone else feeling uncomfortable yet? i said what i said.

Issues with a Savage are resale and trigger - if keeping stock or will never sell, fine. I have a stealth Evo in 223 and it is extremely accurate. I remember 12 FV's a few years back for 200 bucks after rebate at Basspro - that is a buy. For 500, I'd go Tikka. For any more, I believe jbell gave you the best options.

i'll address the other elephant in the room..... a gah damn Savage... you can literally pick up the 12 FV for less than 500 bucks. drop it in a decent stock and throw a trigger in it and hurt a lot of feelings. anyone else feeling uncomfortable yet? i said what i said.
You could just play with this idea for kicks.

Show up to a match with this setup, only instead of “a decent stock” use some dirty scarred up piece of shit 2x4. Screw on a scrap wood grip. Don’t do a good job (visually), but make it fit and work perfectly. Bed that damn action to that 2x4 lol!

Stencil “i hurt feelings” on the side. Add the words, “gah damn Savage” on the other side.

Then go out there and hurt feelings!

1629212435298.gif

^Your competition when you win

Edit: really drive ‘em wild by stapling on some fur scraps and slap on an ancient Leupold.

Last edited:
Loving some of these replies lol loving the sense of humor. The Savage idea actually isn't that bad.

I do firmly believe that you don't necessarily have to spend an outrageous fortune to get a very accurate rifle correct me if I'm wrong?

Reactions: Baddog 0302
Howa, well worth a look, very well made, (& Weatherby Vanguard), great trigger & great accuracy out of the box.
Tikka are over twice the price (in Australia) but they aren't twice the rifle.
People say there isn't many aftermarket parts but that not really true, many chassis & stocks available, triggers (not that you need to replace the HACT trigger), & easy enough to get barrels etc.
The Howa started as a clone of the Sako Finnbear, (when Howa made Finnbear & Forester rifles for Sako), but have had many improvements over the years.
From what I've seen, you don't even need to true barrel & action as its near perfect anyway.
Very solid action & forged 1 piece bolt, & no tools needed to strip it down.
I much prefer my Howa 300wm LR varmint over my brothers Tikka t3x 300wm varmint.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
I have been researching the same thing. What about the Daniel Defense Delta 5? I have two shooting buddies with the Tikka and don’t really want to follow the group. But, they are both impressive!

Looking for an accurate one around this same price. I've been reaching out in other communities, I've considered the 6.5CM, but I really know deep down I would prefer .308, the biggest reason is easy ammo availability and cheaper prices especially for brass. I like the Bergara B14 HM4 but I don't like the fact it only has a 20 inch barrel. I wish it was 22 or 24 inches which the T3x Tac A1 are.

Can anyone think of a .308 that is SUB MOA and maybe even easy to find/swap barrels out on?
Thanks for all your help here guys. This seems like a great community and I'm glad to be a part of it now! I'm a .308 fanboy I admit. This is because I have an AR-10 and other rifles in .308. I don't like having to buy more expensive/more types of completely different ammo. Plus .308 is is a plentiful excellent survival round even though I know it won't carry quite as well or as far as a .308. For practical applications, good accuracy to 800 yards or less seems fine.

In any case, the Tikka T3x Tac A1 in .308 does seem to be an amazing rifle. The only drawback is it's almost twice as expensive as the B14 HMR by Bergara. Is that extra money worth it though? In this case it actually does seem to be worth it as it appears to be Sub-Moa almost always with decent ammo in .308.

It's basically what I've come to the conclusion of. I know this is somewhat based on a myriad of factors, but what kind of barrel life in .308 can you expect from that Tikka T3x Tac A1?
You mention the .308 and “plentiful excellent survival round.” What is the purpose of the rifle? Would you ever need a rifle that shoots accurately to 800 yards? I own a bunch of Tikkas. Awesome weapons. Have you factored in the price of a decent optic? Buy once, cry once. Don’t cheap out on the glass. Be realistic about the purpose of the rifle. I work very closely with the SWAT community in my area. I’m an ER doc. Statistically, the average SWAT shot is about 100 yards. If you live anywhere other than the country, you’re unlikely to need anything with a half mile reach. Again, be realistic about the purpose of the weapon system. It’s a tool. That’s it. Pick the best tool for the job and a good optic and you’ll be good to go.

Reactions: BuLLet and Stoweit
Good actions attract good parts ecosystems and loyal users, the r700 and Tikka platforms really stand out as the ones to base a longer term investment on.

I have been researching the same thing. What about the Daniel Defense Delta 5? I have two shooting buddies with the Tikka and don’t really want to follow the group. But, they are both impressive!
Have some time behind the delta 5. Was excited, came away disappointed. Accuracy was not good. Would not consistently make make hits at 800. Action is not Tikka smooth. Not even close.

Reactions: Stoweit
I usually forget about these even though I have one in 6.5 for my boys. A great rifle for the price and adjusts for my 8yo as well as my 18yo. I'm not sure how well it shoot groups at 100yds. Sub moa for sure and we routinely take it out to 900-1,000yds on steel.

The 5r MilSpec is a great rifle as well. Both of mine averaged around 1/2moa. The m24 from EuroOptics would make a nice rifle.
RPR and with the money saved buy a Krieger pre-fit barrel and go no go gauges. I’ve shot a 5 shot 300 yard group that measured .625 inches. That’s about .22 MOA or about 5 times better than the guarantee of 1 MOA. I would buy a 6.5 CM barrel as you’ll have to change nothing else. Then 142 SMKs and start looking for nodes. Mine also likes Berger 130 AROTMs and Scenar Ls. The 136 grain. Powder 42.5 H4350 or Staball. They are both great. Primers whatever you can get. I’ve tested primers many times snd they make no discernible difference.

Last edited:
You mention the .308 and “plentiful excellent survival round.” What is the purpose of the rifle? Would you ever need a rifle that shoots accurately to 800 yards? I own a bunch of Tikkas. Awesome weapons. Have you factored in the price of a decent optic? Buy once, cry once. Don’t cheap out on the glass. Be realistic about the purpose of the rifle. I work very closely with the SWAT community in my area. I’m an ER doc. Statistically, the average SWAT shot is about 100 yards. If you live anywhere other than the country, you’re unlikely to need anything with a half mile reach. Again, be realistic about the purpose of the weapon system. It’s a tool. That’s it. Pick the best tool for the job and a good optic and you’ll be good to go.
I agree with most of what you say but why would anyone go 308 when the 6.5 is available? 6.5 has a much deeper and tighter throat that makes accuracy easier. You still have to look for nodes but the 308 is just plain dated in a PR. As far as reach your right about distance but no one ‘needs’ a 200 mph car either. Reaching out 1/3 further with the same investment just makes good sense and with the higher average BC the CM is the clear choice. Only reason I can think to go 308 if you’re at the start line is it’s more available because most people went to 6.5. I suppose barrel life also but if your serious about PR a new barrel is a necessary wear part every now and then.

Reactions: Stoweit
I agree with https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/saoslund.118311/ is saying, though i see you live in Montana, probably can reach out much further than 100m I'm guessing.

Go buy a Defiance Tenacity SA (Rem 700 footprint). A Criterion prefit barrel. and a KRG Bravo stock. Your less than $2000.00 Will have a Good action, ( side bolt release, M-16 extractor. Stainless Steel). I would not be afraid to shoot it to 1000yds with 175 SMK's. 42.0 grs IMR 4064, 210M primer. This is in .308 Win. With Defiance action would have good resale value. Add a trigger tech trigger.

Ruger Precision

Regarding barrel life.....I have 5,000+ rounds of 308 through my T3X TAC A1 tube without any issues! I have been pushing my 175gr SMK hand loads @ 2,750 fps without issue and recording sub 1/2 MOA groups. The action is smooth as glass.

+1 for the Tikka T3X TAC A1

I shoot a Bergara Premier Pro 6.5PRC with a 26 inch barrel and Love It.
It's made in USA,nit Bergara Spain.
It's the top e d of their rifles.