• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Pulsar XP38 or Trijicon Reap-IR 20mm

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I have an opportunity to buy either a Pulsar XP38 or Reap-IR 20mm thermal....both are used.

Yes, I understand the quality differences between the two. And I have been leaning towards the Reap for the quality. But....I am worried that the 20mm will really limit the range at which I would be using it at.

Main use, would be coyote hunting and where I will be hunting...open, high dessert areas. That is why I am thinking the XP38 might be a better choice for my application.

That being said....I have read the image quality is lacking in the Pulsar units.

Thanks for the input.

I have the thermion XM38 and can consistently hit a milk jug filled with warm water at 450 With my 223.
Never looked through the Trijicon so cant compare. I can tell the difference between coyote and deer at a lot farther ranges than that. For the price of the Trijicon you could get get the scope and a scanner I would think.

Thank you for the input.

Looks like the difference between the Xm and Xp units is resolution.

Price is really good because the two I am looking at are used. That is why I asked about the 20mm unit. If I was buying new, I would opt for the 35mm unit.

Reactions: Aescobar17
Base magnification is the key factor for distance shooting with a thermal. The Trail XP38 is 1.2x and the Reap 20mm is 1.5x. I have had a Trail XP50 and currently have a Reap 35 and the Reap is a much better image. Zoom is much cleaner at higher mags as well. I have also had a Patrol which is 1x and 19mm. Lens size is important for clarity, especially with high humidity levels, but the 19mm still performed very well as compared to the XP50 in those circumstances. Being in the desert the humidity level and thus lens size may be less of an issue but with either one of these you may find the magnification lacking out beyond a couple hundred yards.

To me, the reap 20 worked best 100 and under given its wider field of view and fixed 100ish yard focus.
It lost a bit at 200, and was poor at 300.
I wouldn't consider it for 400+ coyote hunting.

I've used the pulsar and it was better at longer ranges than the reap 20, "to me".
I like the pulsar for a back-up loaner to visiting friends and wish I had a couple of them now, instead of none.

That's my take on the 20 and the pulsar.
Based on using them both, and settling on the reap 35 as my main working unit the last few years.

Again, a couple of pulsars in the inventory would be most welcome.

Reactions: Aescobar17
To me, the reap 20 worked best 100 and under given its wider field of view and fixed 100ish yard focus.
It lost a bit at 200, and was poor at 300.
I wouldn't consider it for 400+ coyote hunting.

I've used the pulsar and it was better at longer ranges than the reap 20, "to me".
I like the pulsar for a back-up loaner to visiting friends and wish I had a couple of them now, instead of none.

That's my take on the 20 and the pulsar.
Based on using them both, and settling on the reap 35 as my main working unit the last few years.

Again, a couple of pulsars in the inventory would be most welcome.
Ditto. The Trail models with the AutoNuc and battery life sure make it easy for folks not familiar with the equipment and I miss having one for when I need a backup for a friend as well.

I have the thermion XM38 and can consistently hit a milk jug filled with warm water at 450 With my 223.
Never looked through the Trijicon so cant compare. I can tell the difference between coyote and deer at a lot farther ranges than that. For the price of the Trijicon you could get get the scope and a scanner I would think.

I’ve got an Thermion xm38 on the way. Found one used for a pretty nice price and this makes me even more sure I made the right choice.

Coming from borrowing my dads apex x something 50 , I needed to get my own but don’t have the pocket book he has

For hunting in 'open, high dessert' areas i would 100% go with the pulsar.
If we were to compare Reap-35 vs xp38, it would be reap all the way.
You will need the extra magnification at distance.

Base magnification is the key factor for distance shooting with a thermal. The Trail XP38 is 1.2x and the Reap 20mm is 1.5x. I have had a Trail XP50 and currently have a Reap 35 and the Reap is a much better image. Zoom is much cleaner at higher mags as well. I have also had a Patrol which is 1x and 19mm. Lens size is important for clarity, especially with high humidity levels, but the 19mm still performed very well as compared to the XP50 in those circumstances. Being in the desert the humidity level and thus lens size may be less of an issue but with either one of these you may find the magnification lacking out beyond a couple hundred yards.
How long will a higher end thermal like the Reap last?

How long will a higher end thermal like the Reap last?
I have no idea….age in and of itself is not a measurable reason why a unit will cease functioning…..it is probably a combination of time of usage, conditions of said usage, and other factors that are going to effect the length of time these units live….and longer term whether a unit can be repaired pending the manufacturer continuing to be in business or servicing said unit if discontinued……..maybe one of the vendors or more experienced users will chime in with a better answer.

Seems to me a higher end thermal will become victim to the “next best thing” that comes along with evolving technology long, long, long before it wears itself out. Then the second owner gets a good dealio when the first owner moves on to something “better”. 😁

Those are both really low magnification for open vista's. You can shoot aways but you'll need something to id with. If the used price is in the new super hogster range thats another option.

If its in the budget to put the 60mm lens on the reap that would be the best of both worlds. Trijicon will probably go through the device at the same time also.