• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Question and reviews on YHM Phantom 5.56 and 7.62

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm looking into getting a suppressor for my ar and like the price and look of the yhm. Does anyone have any expreience with them? Will the 7.62 suppress the 5.56 very well? Would be nice to get ont that would work with a few of my other calibers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle

Re: Question and reviews on YHM Phantom 5.56 and 7.62

KPK, I own both. Although, my 7.62 is thread mounted for my 308 and the 556 is QD for my AR. I've never run the 762 on my AR

I actually prefer the 7.62. I think its quieter than the 556, but its apples to oranges. My AR is a 10.5 barrel and the suppressor is considerably smaller.

They're both sweet, and best bang for the buck out there. You won't regret the purchase. Just be prepared, the 762 is a big can.

The YHM are a good deal depending on what you are looking for. They are Stainless so they are a little heavier than the Titanium ones, but are also less money. I bought one of each for the price I was going to pay for the 308 can in titanium. I have not tried the .308 can on the AR yet but I understand that it is supposed to be even quieter than the .223 can on the AR due to the extra length of the 308 can. They make the quick detach flash hiders that mount on the AR that will accept the 30 cal can. The 308 flash hider will not allow you to mount a 223 can on it to avoid problems. You can fire both cans without hearing protection. The only downside to using the 308 can on the AR is that it is slightly heavier than the .223 can.

I am glad that I got these two. In my situation I am happy with my purchase.

I would go check out Silencer Research and look over the premium reviews for comparisons on several different cans. I just went through the same situation as you, and I came away with an AAC 762SD. That can does very well on both 7.62 and 5.56, and it is also even lighter than most 5.56 cans. It looked like the best dual use can I could find out there that was reasonably priced, QD, light, and suppressed well. The SD even suppresses 5.56 just as good and sometimes better than some of the 5.56 cans. Yes there are better 5.56 cans than a SD, but this is a 7.62 rated can.

My brother bought the 7.62 to have one can for AR and bolt 30 cal.For the price it compares favorably to my AWC and a hell of a lot cheaper. To do again I would pick one up...

Is the AAC can Full auto rated? The YHM cans are all full auto rated. You can also spend a little more and get one of the YHM cans with Inconnel? spelling baffles.

To be honest I don't know if it is FA rated, but most don't look for a 7.62 FA can. Also for the YHM I never knew they offered the 7.62 in full inconel, and that is only really needed for FA cans. The tests, and specs work out better for the AAC and thought I would throw another idea in the mix. Oh and its a fully welded core.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MR3GUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the AAC can Full auto rated? The YHM cans are all full auto rated. You can also spend a little more and get one of the YHM cans with Inconnel? spelling baffles.</div></div>

The AAC 762-SD is full auto rated. We use 718 Inconel (others use 6## Inconel... a lower grade) in there so you really can't hurt it.

The big differences between the AAC's 762-SD and the Yankee hill offering are as follows.

Weight: AAC = 19.1oz YHM = 28oz This is a big deal when you put a .308 silencer on your AR15, trying to have only one silencer do both jobs(a good idea BTW) that extra .5 Lb hanging off the rifle makes it harder to do mag changes.

Construction: AAC 762-SD = 316L stainless steel and 718 heat treated Inconel... with a fully welded core YHM = 304 Stainless and Inconel is extra (last I checked... not real sure on this) spot welded core.

Mounting system: 762-SD = 18 tooth fast attack Blackout Flash Hider or fast attach Blackout Muzzle Brake made of 17-4 stainless... this 18 tooth mount is one of the reasons we won the SCAR contract. YHM = uses there Phantom Flash Hider, we used to use the Phantom mounts but had problems with QC and the flash hider erosion..

Last but not least SOUND! AAC's 762-SD was had a larger reduction in all the independent test. About -30 DB.

hey guys just wanted to share i just picked up my Titanium can from Tim @ SAS and wow i'm sooo happy with it, not sure if you have considered Suppressed Armament Systems or not.

here is a video on my AR-10, i decided to go with the threaded muzzle break and a threaded flash hider for my AR-15 so i can use one suppressor for my AR's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYfb_oXRwAc&fmt=18

just finished up my paperwork for my .45acp can and will be sending that out tomorrow.

l_6bbf74950ffb48688ea0ef842f19fd21.png

Thanks for all the help! Had many more replies than I thought I would have!

I'm fixing to check out the SAS Shaun, thanks for the post...

Those of you with the AAC 762-SD. Do you think it's worth the extra 2-$300 for the AAC? I would think since I kind of want to get one suppressor for both cals it may be better to the the fully welded AAC? I want it to last! I just need to do some more research I guess. If I did get the AAC 762 would it be able to fit on a 10.5" barrel with 10" handguard, or does it cover the barrel quite a bit? Post pics if you got'em!

Thanks again,
Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help! Had many more replies than I thought I would have!

If I did get the AAC 762 would it be able to fit on a 10.5" barrel with 10" handguard, or does it cover the barrel quite a bit? Post pics if you got'em!

Kyle</div></div>

Yes, it will fit just fine. Shooting 5.56 ammo with a 762-SD is with in 2 DB of the M4-2000... that is quiet!

Thanks for the info Mike, I can't believe it's only that much different!

Ok another question. When the specs on the 762 says total lenght of 8.75" and adds 6.25" to the length of the weapon. Is that talking about adding that from the barrel or the end of the flash hider? Is it assuming you have a flash hider? I guess I'm just asking if it goes over the barrel at all or what?

Total length is the can's complete length, stem to stern. Length added to weapon is measured WITH the AAC mount in place, from the end of the flash hider.

The 7-62SD doesn't reflex over the barrel, but it does reflex over the AAC flash hider (obviously). AAC makes the SCAR-H SD for those who want a 7.62 can that reflexes over the barrel.

The YHM are a good deal depending on what you are looking for. They are Stainless so they are a little heavier than the Titanium ones, but are also less money. I bought one of each for the price I was going to pay for the 308 can in titanium. I have not tried the .308 can on the AR yet but I understand that it is supposed to be even quieter than the .223 can on the AR due to the extra length of the 308 can. They make the quick detach flash hiders that mount on the AR that will accept the 30 cal can. The 308 flash hider will not allow you to mount a 223 can on it to avoid problems. You can fire both cans without hearing protection. The only downside to using the 308 can on the AR is that it is slightly heavier than the .223 can.

I am glad that I got these two. In my situation I am happy with my purchase.
Hi Airone, I'm only a decade late to this conversation, but a local dealer had a Phantom 762/308, and I bought it for $599. It's my first can. Do you think I got ripped off? I was interested in the Diligent Defense Enticer L because it's the quietest according to Pew Science, but the dealer had never hear of that company and has had bad experiences with small suppressor companies going out of business. I care most and noise and recoil reduction and price and accuracy. I don't care as much about wieght (the Phantom is about 10oz heavier than the Enticer L) because I plan to use it on the range laying prone at long distances.

Hi Airone, I'm only a decade late to this conversation, but a local dealer had a Phantom 762/308, and I bought it for $599. It's my first can. Do you think I got ripped off? I was interested in the Diligent Defense Enticer L because it's the quietest according to Pew Science, but the dealer had never hear of that company and has had bad experiences with small suppressor companies going out of business. I care most and noise and recoil reduction and price and accuracy. I don't care as much about wieght (the Phantom is about 10oz heavier than the Enticer L) because I plan to use it on the range laying prone at long distances.
That's a lot less than I paid for mine back in 2011, so I'd say you got a great deal. Yes, it's a big, heavy can. But I only use it on heavy profile barrels. For lighter barrels, I have a Phantom Ti. Same size, but much lighter can.