• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Range Report - Early Life PVA 16.5in 6.5cm - Initial Data Across Several Factory Loads

chrome

Private
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    VA
    For shared knowledge and awareness, thought I'd post the data below. Breaking in a baby (both age and size) barrel (< 100 rounds) today, and had the chance to bring the LabRadar with me. I tested various factory loads just to get an idea what this rifle may like long-term, fully understanding its appetite may change down the road. The raw data is as follows (shot indoors in temperature controlled range) @ 100 yards:

Screenshot 2019-12-08 13.47.02.png

Grouping wise, across the various loads, this setup seemed to prefer the 130gr Prime HPBT and 120gr Bergers, for both hot/cold barrel states. There may be some bias in these groups as I was fighting my setup on the bench mid-session but felt more comfortable towards the end. Couple things I learned: If I had to order 5k rounds of ammo today based on this session, I'd lean towards the Prime 130grainers. Also, I really enjoy shooting this rifle more than I thought I would, specifically the ARC Nucleus and shorter barrel setup. The nimbly bimbly'ness of the 16in barrel, the Nucleus ejector, and the ZCO glass make a great combo across the board.. Given my average range sessions throughout the year stay around 600 yards, and once or twice a quarter I get out to 1k, I am looking forward to seeing how this setup evolves.

Ballistic-X-Export-2019-12-08 13_30_16.295668.png

Ballistic-X-Export-2019-12-08 13_56_15.711409 (1).png

20191112_195639.jpg

Last edited:
    Pulling in some data from another thread, comparing this 16.5in PVA barrel to a 22in PVA barrel across the same exact factory loads, the extra 5.5 inches on the longer PVA gave me an additional:

a.) Average of 170 More FPS
    b.) Average of 2.5 larger SD
    c.) Average of 10.2 LESS of an ES

I honestly thought the extra 5.5in of barrel would lead to more FPS and lower ES. Granted, both barrels not completely broke in yet.

Here’s a ten shot string from a 18” pva barrel. About 40* out, warm barrel. Hornady American gunner 140s

CE0C6A87-9237-47C9-BB85-02F19EA9E16E.jpeg