• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Recommendation for Shotgun Choke Threading

Why do you want to put chokes in it??
Can’t think of a reason not to
224F0D93-DFED-4537-9968-E04149D6AFF4.jpeg

Rose Action Sports is who I used for my SBS chop/thread. Very happy with communication, lead time, price, and quality of work. 10/10 would recommend.

Reactions: Eagle1899
Short barreled shotgun patterns don't improve with tighter chokes. They get worse. We did a test many years ago where we cut a 12 gauge barrel down an inch at a time until velocity fell off. That happen at about 16 inches if I remember correctly using full power ammo. There is a reason why long barrels are used in shotgun sports... The longer the barrel the less the shot column is disturbed by residual gas pressure as the shot cup/wad leaves the barrel. Do what you want but don't expect much juice for the squeeze choking a 14" barrel.

Short barreled shotgun patterns don't improve with tighter chokes. They get worse. We did a test many years ago where we cut a 12 gauge barrel down an inch at a time until velocity fell off. That happen at about 16 inches if I remember correctly using full power ammo. There is a reason why long barrels are used in shotgun sports... The longer the barrel the less the shot column is disturbed by residual gas pressure as the shot cup/wad leaves the barrel. Do what you want but don't expect much juice for the squeeze choking a 14" barrel.
Thank you for the info, I am threading it for a suppressor. That should alleviate some of that issue but I’ll guess we’ll see.

I'll check when I get home but mossberg barrels tend to be a larger diameter than benellis. It may be to large to thread for crio chokes

Reactions: Abbotm2