• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Red Dot Off-hand Wobble

FromMyColdDeadHand

40X Mafia
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2008
CO
I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a red dot. What would be the aiming woble for most people shooting offhand and shooting aimed, but rapid fire?

3-5MOA? Maybe more?

I'm looking at carbine set-ups.

You have the inherent accuracy of the gun-ammo combo. A M193/16inch CL Barrel would be 3MOA? As in 10 shots will be in a circle of MOA.
A red dot is 1 MOA to 2-3? I know some are bigger, but at least that is defined- unless you have astigmatism. "It's full of stars.....".
And then the accuracy of the shooter.

I see hundred yard zeros, I see 33yrd zeroes. I was trying to look at it from the idea that the MOA of the dot is a cone, the ammo-gun is a cone and the shooter is a cone. What aiming point would put the most rounds at the best distances to be in the cone of the red dot, knowing that the rifle is shooting a cone, not a point. I usually see this discussed like all three are points, when they aren't

You’re gonna see at least 10 MOA hold area from shooters inexperienced at precision Offhand. Rapid is gonna make that wayyyy worse.

One thing that helps most people is sweeping the target. Some shooters can hold vertical better than horizontal, or the reverse. Therefore a method used by some still works the best for many. Which ever is hardest for you to hold use the swing threw method to comp it. If vertical is your issue start low an as you swing threw the target, fire. If horizontal is your issue swing across the target an fire. With practice you will find you'll get very fast, an way more accurate.