• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 PCR questions

Maxim0

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to shooting. I recently purchased a remington 700 PCR .308 and have some questions that I was looking for assistance on.

1. Do they make a wider grip that is a simple bolt on swap? I have had no luck at local stores and gun shows but am told they exist...

2. I have had mixed opinions on bedding with a chassis rifle. Will this increase accuracy?

3. So far I have added a APA lil bast muzzle brake and a timney 510 trigger( felt like a different gun after these two upgrades!). What direction should I look to next to increase accuracy? Is action truing next on the list?

3. The cheek weld isn't tall enough on the magpul stock do they make an add on or further adjusting attachment? I've been using a custom made pad of sorts but looking for something more permanent.

4. I'm just starting load development and trying the 155 scenars with varget and lapua brass. Does anyone have an idea on seating depth that this rifle likes( was planning on starting ten thousandths off the lands)?

5. I still am reading mixed information on cleaning the chamber... can someone link me to a proper method and advise on how often. I've got the barrel cleaning down just still unsure on the rest of the gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to becoming a contributing member here as my knowledge and experience grows. So far I have been loving getting into to shooting and cant wait to get out to the 600-1000y territory. Thanks again!

Last edited:
1. Do they make a wider grip that is a simple bolt on swap? I have had no luck at local stores and gun shows but am told they exist...
No idea, logic would reason that it is just an ar grip but when has remington used logic before?

2. I have had mixed opinions on bedding with a chassis rifle. Will this increase accuracy?
It might not increase it but if you do a half decent job it wont hurt it either.

3. So far I have added a APA lil bast muzzle brake and a timney 510 trigger( felt like a different gun after these two upgrades!). What direction should I look to next to increase accuracy? Is action truing next on the list?
I wouldnt bother truing it until you put a new barrel on it. And the best way to good accuracy is to replace a remington barrel.

3. The cheek weld isn't tall enough on the magpul stock do they make an add on or further adjusting attachment? I've been using a custom made pad of sorts but looking for something more permanent.
Not that Ive ever seen.

4. I'm just starting load development and trying the 155 scenars with varget and lapua brass. Does anyone have an idea on seating depth that this rifle likes( was planning on starting ten thousandths off the lands)?
Seems like a fine place to start at, no idea until you test

5. I still am reading mixed information on cleaning the chamber... can someone link me to a proper method and advise on how often. I've got the barrel cleaning down just still unsure on the rest of the gun.
Do the chamber similarly to your barrel only copper is less of a concern. Soak and scrub.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Wow really fast replies! thank you very much for the help guys

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to shooting. I recently purchased a remington 700 PCR .308 and have some questions that I was looking for assistance on.

Any AR15 style grip will fit. Just be sure it doesn’t have the little tail for lack of a better word at the top of the grip wher the web of your hand would set.

you don’t need to bed it. Mine shot sub .5 MOA out of the box with my pet 308 handload

I would leave it as is. If you start dumping a ton of money into accuracy upgrades it isn’t going to get you much other than a lighter wallet. Save your money for better glass or ammo

My suggestion here would be to lower your scope if you can. I used a set of Vortex medium rings at first but I went back and use a set of low rings which dropped the scope into the perfect position

the load that I found that my rifle seems to really like is 43gr of Varget behind a 168g Hornady ELD-M with an OAL of 2.80. Thet is in Federal brass. If you are using a different brass that number could change by 0.2-0.4 grains. It isn’t a supper hot load. It shoots about 2650 FPS but it performs really well out to 800 yards. I have another hotter load that shoots close to 2800FPS but isn’t quite as accurate as the other load but is still consistantly around .5 MOA. 308 has been one of the easiest calibers I have loaded for. It seem s like my pet load has shot well in every bolt gun I have tried it in.

I’m not someone who cleans his rifles after every outing. I usually pull a bore snake through it a few times but only give it a deep cleaning after 200-300 rounds. I think Dan Newberry calls it treating you barrel like an iron skillet. After every thorough cleaning it takes quite a few rounds for my rifle to settle back down and start shooting as accurately as I know it can.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to becoming a contributing member here as my knowledge and experience grows. So far I have been loving getting into to shooting and cant wait to get out to the 600-1000y territory. Thanks again!

Reactions: AK Sgt Maj
No idea, logic would reason that it is just an ar grip but when has remington used logic before?

It might not increase it but if you do a half decent job it wont hurt it either.

I wouldnt bother truing it until you put a new barrel on it. And the best way to good accuracy is to replace a remington barrel.

Not that Ive ever seen.

Seems like a fine place to start at, no idea until you test

Do the chamber similarly to your barrel only copper is less of a concern. Soak and scrub.

#3 isn’t so cut and dry. I have two Remington 5R rifles that will shoot as good as any rifle. Well under 1/2” with factory 168gr amax. I have a factory .270 that will make one hole groups with factory federal fusion 150gr. I’m not a group shooter as I think it wastes ammo but the few I have shot with these rifles, the results are consistent. If I were to replace the barrel and true the action on either of these rifles I would be throwing money away.

Reactions: AK Sgt Maj
As far as the stock's comb height, maybe look into a slightly lower set of rings or a lower profile scope base if your scope's objective bell outer diameter will allow it.

Yup, I know the thread is old but I also have a PCR and there's not huge knowledge base about them so I'll add to this to hopefully help someone else out:

Yes as stated most A2 grips without a beaver tail should work. I'm using a MPA EVG grip and love it. I did have to dremel a few tenths off the rear to get it flush. I've also tested several Magpul's which all worked without a hiccup as well as Luths Chubby grip.

As answered previously not needed with chassis

Wanted to ask if you had to inlet your chassis for the Timney. I'm currently installing a Bix and Andy and have found out I may have to inlet to get it to fit. For anyone else wondering , the inlet is a very tight fit. I dont believe Remington intended for anyone to use any other trigger but the Xmark. Yeah I know, as if.
As far as next on the list: trigger time, training, then I would look at maybe trueing and blueprinting but not until you're ready to re-barrel.

You may want to check your rings and your scope height. I know some people bag on the position of the stock versus the receiver on the PCR aesthetically but actually, the Magpul allows enough vertical adjustment where you should be good to go unless you have tall or extra tall rings. I have a Steiner Tx5i mounted on Seekins medium rings which give me roughly about 2.23in. hgt. overbore. I'm 6-1 and can get a good a cheek weld without coming close to maxing out adjustment on the Magpul.

With the stock Remy barrel, I'm not wasting too much time on load development. I'll save that for when I re-barrel with something that will show me a bit more accuracy for my effort than the stock barrel will. I'm also shooting 6.5 so ill be swapping barrels a lot sooner than you will.

Other than the Xmark trigger I don't see any problems with the PRC. Its dependable fairly accurate out of the box and because it's a 700 there is a ton of support for it. Hope it serves you well.

Reactions: Maxim0
I appreciate you contributing to the thread and am happy to tell you that the bix and Andy fits like a glove. It impresses every single person that checks it out. So crisp and consistent I have The tacpsport comp pro. What are you getting?
Also I would check for wear marks between your action and chassis. I always had mine torqued to spec and had significant movement. I just recently bed the chassis with some titanium devcon and it shrunk my groups at least 25% between that and the trigger and the muzzle break it puts this rifle in a whole nether league. I just shot a .48 group at 100’ doing some five round groups during some load development. Was an obvious winner between that and an sd of 8.3.

Also I just Put the mpa evg grip on as well. As weird as it looks it feels great. Did have to do some dremmeling. And as for the cheek weld issue i was just an idiot that had on too high of rings. Didn’t know better at the time, was what I was Sold on at the store sadly enough.

I also have the Tac Sport w/safety & bolt release. I put the same on my custom 700 in .308 a while ago and I've been a believer since.
I'm guessing if you got yours to fit in the PCR with no issues then I must be doing something wrong. I've actually been tinkering with it today and the action is sitting behind me on the bench. so now that you I see you got yours to fit guess what I'll be doing instead of going to sleep tonight..lol
Glad everything worked out for you, brother.

I have a PCR, in 6.5 CM and it will shoot around 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards. I didn't need it. but when I tried someone else's I got one. The trigger is just like the M24 trigger, in that the external adjustment screw will only add weight to the pull. The internal adjustment screw is where you adjust the pull weight down. I got mine to work all of the way to 1 lb. but set it at 2 lb. for use. I've shot about 60 rounds out of it and liked it so much that I got the chassis and Magpul stock and installed them on my 40x. The only problem is that the barrel just fits in the handguard, because it is a M24 contour barrel, but it shoots great and is a lot lighter than before.

Reactions: Thecelt
Curious where were you able to find the chassis and how much did it set you back. Last time I searched around I think I saw them eternally on back order at Brownell's or Midway.

I've actually run mine with the stock trigger for production class at two comps so far and got about 500 rounds through it. I've found that it is a little finicky with Magpul Mags and accurate mags. The Magpul you have to make sure all the rounds are as far to the rear as possible and insert it on an angle to get a positive lock. The accurate mags sometimes don't feed the first round properly because of the missing spacer. AI mags work with no problem.

I ended up with the MDT Vertical Adjustable grip with my 6.5 mm Creedmoor PCR. Everything I needed to get the feel I wanted.

Don't understand comments about movement of the action in the chassis. Torqued to spec for the bolt size it is locked together solidly. I also installed the Timney 512. It was a drop in fit with no interference with the chassis. The OEM Remington was remarkable, in a very bad way. Out of the box it was 4-5 lbs, and sometimes it would not break at all. Backing the adjustment screw, eventually all the way out, made NO difference in weight of the pull! Unbelievable!

I have used Timney in all my Remingtons over the decades. I had read a significant amount about problems with the OEM trigger and decided if repaired, would I trust it? The trigger and the grip improved my accuracy with the rifle. Stock form I shot 3/4" group. With the grip and trigger change (trigger set at 1.5 lbs) most of my groups with Hornady factory match ammo are 3/8" with an occasional group opening up to 1/2". This is the 120 gr GMX bullet (CA lead free if I want to hunt). It is likely that with some workup of my hand-loads 3/8" or smaller will be the rule.

I have had a rifle that shot tighter groups, but it cost 4.5 times as much, and beat me to death. Eventually I think this PCR will equal or exceed the accuracy, of the rifle I built, with nothing more than load work-up!!

Just FYI I originally purchased an arca rail for my AX chassis from MHA customs. I decided not to use it for the AX but lo and behold it's also a perfect fit for the PCR .

IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG

Reactions: Sniff and MC919
I have a PCR, in 6.5 CM and it will shoot around 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards. I didn't need it. but when I tried someone else's I got one. The trigger is just like the M24 trigger, in that the external adjustment screw will only add weight to the pull. The internal adjustment screw is where you adjust the pull weight down. I got mine to work all of the way to 1 lb. but set it at 2 lb. for use. I've shot about 60 rounds out of it and liked it so much that I got the chassis and Magpul stock and installed them on my 40x. The only problem is that the barrel just fits in the handguard, because it is a M24 contour barrel, but it shoots great and is a lot lighter than before.
Out of curiosity, what rings do you have and what height are they? I just bought this same rifle btw, looking to order rings to fit vortex pst gen II.

Out of curiosity, what rings do you have and what height are they? I just bought this same rifle btw, looking to order rings to fit vortex pst gen II.
I am also searching for ring height. My pcr enhanced will be coming in next week, and my Arken Optics scope (6-24x50 with 34mm tube) should be in by the end of the month. Im thinking that at a minimum i need 1" tall rings, and max maybe 1.26 (looking at the vortex rings).

Could you help me with a little imperial problem ...
I have Remington 700 PCR .308Win (variant with M-lok not SquareDrop/Keymod) and Magpul PRS stock.
I am trying to remove that stock ...
For regular Magpul PRS Gen 3 one needs 1/8" hex wrench and flat screwdriver for that screw under the pad ...

In my remington this last screw has some kind of imbus hex "hole" ...
It is larger than 1/8" (or 3mm) ... and smaller than 4mm ...yes, my workshop is metric ...
What it could be? 5/32" or 7/64" ...
Does Remington or Magpul sell sets all tools you need for out products ? or it is buy half a ton of useless tool sets perhaps you will find by tries and errors one usable tool ...

Why I need to remove stock? I want to put there folding stock adapter for transport and cleaning ... I just received my order from "Chinese Black Friday (11.11). Why aliexpress? because of US restrictions ... simple as that.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey