• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 pss 308 minimum barrel length.

adb77

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
Goshen, Ar
Ok, I’ve got a two part question. Can I cut a R700 pss .308 1 in 12 twist down to 18” and stabilize a high BC bullet? If not how short could I go? And lastly if someone has experience with this, what bullet-powder-combos worked for you. Want to make a short, hunting rifle out of this gun. Maximum range would be 650yds. Thanks for the knowledge in advance.

Barrel length does not equal stability. A 1-12” should be good for anything below 180 grains excluding very long bullets.

BC and twist rate kinda mesh, but the length of the bullet has more to do with twist rate stabilization than pure BC. Coincidently, longer bullets generally have higher BCs.

Berger’s twist rate calculator will get you close.

For reloading, get a manual if you dont have one. Also the reloading section is a great resouce and there is a TON of info for a .308. I plan on starting with 40ish grains of Varget in a 150/155/175 grain bullets and going from there as it is always best to start low and work your way up to YOUR rifles limits and nodes.

Bullet length is one of the most important factors in the stability calculation.
For your requirements I would be looking at some of the lighter higher BC bullets since you stated your max range of 650 yards. Some of the 155 to 168 class of bullets do very well out to that range from a shorter barrel and you can push them faster and help alleviate some of the velocity loss from the shorter barrel.
I have a SPS varmint with a 26" 1-12 barrel that shoots everything up to the 190smk and 190 custom comps with great accuracy even with the 190 weights running at loaded down anemic velocities.

For bullet powder combos 168eldm or 178eldm with AR-COMP or Varget are a damn good place to start.

Thanks for the replies, currently I shoot 46.5 gr varget with 175 smk up top. Definitely was looking toward the 155 for velocity gains has anyone used those for hunting? Mainly pigs and whitetail.

The 155 Scenars are a great bullet with one of the highest BC numbers but it might be to heavily constructed for hunting uses. I have never shot anything but paper and steel with them.
The 155amax would be a good candidate but might be overly frangible for close shots, my main go to for the 308 has mostly been the 178amax. I bought so many of them I still haven't shot a single 178eldm yet but would expect the newer version to work the same since to the best of my knowledge they are still using the same jackets just an updated tip.

^ Scenars are certainly great target shooting bullets. I wouldn't even think about using them on deer or pigs. A head shot on a duck would be a different matter.